Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is Switching back to Xorg

Why can't new generation of Linux coders do anything right?

Systemd is shit
Wayland is shit
Gnome is shit

What went wrong?

omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/01/xorg-will-default-display-server-ubuntu-18-04-lts

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RIctzAQOe44
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They should have switched to KDE.

Because open sores developers are the people too shit to get hired and make bank at a decent company.

fpbp
it's a shame how they returned to gnome after years of disregarding it

they are good people all of them

Wayland is still there. It's for retards that cannot pick their desktop session in the login menu.

>current year + 3
>not using BSD

cuck OS

So how is my x11vnc support in wayland?

Can someone educate me on why Wayland is shit?

I know why Sytemd is shit, and I've experienced why Gnome is shit first hand, but I've not really seen much about why Wayland gets so much shit

cuck argument

If you use BSD youre the one doing the cucking.

Who cares.

Post when they switch from that guh-nome shit to superior KDE like they should have in the first place when Unity died.

>What went wrong?

Older generation educated them. That is the ultimate truth.

>educated them
If you believe anyone but yourself can make you good then you will be really disapointed by University.

>they might flip-flop back to Xorg for Ubuntu 18.04 owing to fact that it is an LTS.
>owing to fact that it is an LTS

Wow, it's fucking nothing. This isn't surprising at all. Sounds like Wayland is still the planned future.

Total IQ is under 50

Their heads are filled with poo

They could have worn actual red fedoras

Mint 19 will be based on 18.04

It's not. It's just unfinished at this point.
From what I understand, it works fine for everything except
1. Using an NVIDIA card
2. Gaymen

Since Ubuntu is probably the most popular distro for gaymen, and gaymers often have NVIDIA cards, they're defaulting to X11.
That's it.

>linux

Why every fucking Pajeet have that stupid mustache?

Thank goodness there are hundreds of other distros for people who prefer Wayland to choose from.

When you say it doesn't work well with Nvidia, do you mean just newer cards, or ALL Nvidia cards?

Because I've got a laptop with an old GT 650m, and Nouveau actually has pretty good support for it, although I understand most newer cards don't have as good of support.

This.

At least we have Kubuntu and Neon.

Its the LTS release
thats like Debian tier who gives a shit

>Nouveau
Most people who use NVIDIA for things aside from the bare minimum of merely "having graphics", will be using the proprietary driver.

Mark shuttleworth sucks roasty Jew chodes

> Systemd is shit
Systemd does its job very well though, and has worked just fine basically right from its release.

We get those during orientation, people really don't wear them unless it is for a promo shot.

what exactly is wrong with xwayland? it works perfectly fine no need to switch back to xorg

I think i might finally switch to Fedora. They have a stable release schedule just like Ubuntu and they have been using wayland since Fedora 27.

X is too established.

It's like all that DOS code still in windows.

>loginctl enable-linger
>screen

Nope, fuck their retarded defaults

>what exactly is wrong with xwayland?
Doesn't work with 99% apps that expect Xorg to work?

it can only do 60hz

Really? Is that it?
Why does it even matter if the DE can only do 60hz anyways?
It's not like that limits the games.

Works on my machine™

>It's not like that limits the games.
um what? enjoy your 60fps and below

Hmm, who could possibly have posted this? I guess we'll never know!

Don't games bypass the DE altogether, at least in exclusive fullscreen mode?

17.10 was basically providing wayland to make people aware that it's good enough to use daily and develop software for.
18.04 is the LTS release that needs to be VERY stable, and wayland is not ready for the LTS release.

they've had like 5 years now to make it stable

It's stable on its own, it just doesn't have all the features required for LTS software to be stable on it.

now do the same with systemd

Good. Wayland is a solution looking for a problem as is everything coming from the redhat stable. Fix X.

They'll need another 5 at least.

Your IQ shit is irrelevant. In every experience of mine, Indians and other Asians show demonstrably more intelligence in technological and mathematical matters than cumskin poorfags. Poettering and other stupid white barn animals with their shitstemd is what's ruining things.

is somebody still developing Unity?

No, it's in maintenance mode until 16.04 ends support.

>loonix
kek

You can just choose wayland from your login manager.
They're just going to select the X session as the default because many tards wouldn't understand why their X-specific solutions for certain problems won't work for some reason.

If you're either scared or incapable or changing this one, tiny setting, maybe Linux isn't for you.

>SOY RED HAT
>I AM

I personally went back to Xorg because I was getting massive input lag on Wayland (T440p, Intel HD4600)

WAYLAND = GAYLAND

>_____JE SUIS
>SOY

>the poo crew

biggu keko

#JeSuisSoy

This. Canonical is retarded.

It isn't that canonical is retarded, its that they just don't give a fuck about desktop users anymore. They're going to end up like redhat, only focused on their enterprise customers because that's where the money is. That's why they abandoned unity and laid off almost 1/4 of the company

They should have switched back to unity

>Systemd is shit
>Wayland is shit
MUH SYSVINIT
MUH MINIMALISM

>It's not. It's just unfinished at this point.
Wayland is pretty "finished" what you want is more compositors.

>using gpl as bsd
>bsd will solve this problem with even more contributions
Time to implant an actual brain in your head.

That's actually hilarious.

KDE is shit and always has been shit. It is neckbeard trash.

I tell you what, why don't you explain why X is shit and why there are so many cycles being put into hipster bullshit like wayland instead of just fixing X' supposed shortfalls.

Hipster trash reinventing the wheel, jelly that Windaids has font rendering in the kernel.

>They'll need another 5 at least.

That's hilarious, too.

X.org has done everything that can be done to X11 while still technically being X11
at this point we barely use any of what X11 was designed for, no X fonts, no graphics primitives, nothing
we pretty much exclusively use the extensions that have been bolted onto X, with X being nothing but 31 year old glue that still gets in the way from time to time
watch this
youtube.com/watch?v=RIctzAQOe44

ps. i still use X, but i recognize that it's a dead end and can't be fixed more than it already has been, anything more and you break the spec, break the spec and it isn't X anymore, and there's nothing left of the spec anybody actually wants to keep, so it's follows that it simply needs a replacement

It's not entirely garbage anymore for anything older than Maxwell, it's still subpar. The best solution is just to run a VM with Win10 anyway, still less CPU overhead than using WINE and translating DX>OGL.

Nah. It’s been broken throughout.

Red Hat is so people deficient they made a real attempt to poach me from my shit job.
>we'll pay for you relo
>you can go back to working remote in a few months
lul

so? why should they be invested in desktop anything? that's what DE projects are doing, it isn't like canonical did anything aside from forking gnome and applying their own patches over it
in short
>and nothing of value was lost

>we

Who's this "we" you're talking about kid? I use legacy X apps some using Athena, Xaw or Motif. I also use remote X. I don't care why autismals are getting OCD about X, it works fine.

>soy
you can't make this shit up

because
1. CSD
2. every wm/compositor/de has to make their own solutions for themselves

>brony neckbeard telling the world why they're wrong and why X should be windows
>still hasn't delivered five years later

25 or 26 actually.

I'm sure I'll get some shit for this, but...

Most of the userland and some of the kernel of what is currently GNU/Linux needs to be stripped and we need to start over. There needs to be all new apps with the exception of a few like Firefox, GParted, and some of the other good apps. Systemd could also be kept but it needs to be forked and maintained by competent devs and that also needs to be stripped. Half of the services that make up systemd are buggy horse shit because little Harry Peottering rewrites stuff when he doesn't understand how it works. We need to separate out some of these init tasks especially so that we can have more modularity and better security when handling kernel and hardware startup. Pulseaudio needs to be scrapped entirely, and we need a whole new audio stack that isn't utter dog shit. KDE 5 is actually really good, but it's bloated and some of the default apps suck. Stripping down KDE 5 would be a great start for a unified Linux desktop. I would also point out that both Windows and OS X have a unified notification hub where both system apps and third party ones can send you notifications. This needs to be a thing on Linux. Fuck tray icons and little fragmented bubbles all over the screen, this isn't 2004 and I'm not running Windows XP.

/rant

Don’t forget input responsiveness being tied to the compositor. Literally Windows 3.1/9x bullshit.

This is hilarious but misleading. The true cancer within Red Hat are people like Lennart Poettering and Allan Day, not the Indian code monkeys.

gnome wayland is rock stable

>wayland
stop that
you obviously talk about gnome
gnome =/= wayland retards learn the difference
and yes wayland is VERY stable and is ready for an lts desktop release
they decided against it probably because not every replacement solution is available atm, like ssh xorg or stuff like that which most ubuntu desktop users probably don't know exist

More likely a bs as any wm can function without a compositor, not to mention the headless usage.

Totally agree. We should all just learn LFS and cut the shit.

>Don’t forget input responsiveness being tied to the compositor
Is this what's going on? I was wondering why program freezes made my cursor lock up.

What trash setup are you running?

i thought that wayland isnt even ready for use yet and that it needs xorg parts to work. why did they even switch to it before it was ready for use?

delid nao

I think Gnome on Wayland is like that because Gnome is shit and Gnome Shell was a stupid idea from the start
Gnome Shell is a single program that uses javascript and draws the windows, draws the panel, draws the activities screen and makes everything slow and makes Wayland slow

Wayland is still shit though
Wayland is so shit it made X11 look good, that's an amazing feat

Fuck Gnome but more than that fuck Wayland

6700k.
>I think Gnome on Wayland is like that
That was actually my setup.

>The state of the Linux desktop in 2018

lel

>wayland
is
gnome/wayland also is but only with oss drivers iirc
no nvidya

There's a reason why I use Windows.

Two idiots is a pair.

how is it shit ?

I'm sure calling me/us idiots will improve Lincucks a lot

Even a smug loli could be a better argument against loonix, than your retarded shitpost.