MLA forces you to use Microsoft fonts

>MLA forces you to use Microsoft fonts
>need Times New Roman, the ugliest font
>this means I end up spending an hour trying to install the mscore fonts and have to find rpm archives for outdated dependencies and end up going down a dependency rabbithole
>tfw MLA thinks libre fonts aren't professional enough for college level work

Fedora is shit compare to debian based distros, but we should really stop fighting distro flame wars instead start a typeface war.

Also general font thread. Pic related one of my favorite fonts

Other urls found in this thread:

style.mla.org/times-new-roman-is-a-boring-font/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

good!

Times New Roman is somehow the standard. I don't know why. I guess it's more professional looking than a lot of the fonts out there but there are better.

style.mla.org/times-new-roman-is-a-boring-font/

Use serif font for printed stuff

Wish I'd had this on hand when I got docked points for turning a paper in with the inconsolata font.

MLA only requires a serif font, but teachers and professors are anal and say that Times New Roman is required. I once got away with liberation serif but I got told to never do it again

Macs have better fonts

>turning in an essay in a monospace font

this is literally the only reason macintosh is still relevant
>Otherwise, we'd only have integrated ATM in 1999, for OpenType is derived of TrueType

>you can install Yosemite Sans & San Francisco Sans on linux

This is not a valid reason to purchase or use a mac

macOS comes with a license for Helvetica which is expensive if you have to pay for it yourself to use on any other system. There is literally no excuse for the uncultured mongoloids at MicroGooGNUsoftle to not include a license for the most ubiquitous font in the world with their shitty meme OSes.

>Helvetica is not FLOSS
>including it by default would mean having to pay for the OS

If you want to use it just buy a license yourself

Or I could get it for free along with the free OS when I buy a Mac

>paying for a 2k Facebook machine so you can use one specific font

This is the absolute state of Sup Forums

Macs also come with other licensed fonts that are important for designers. I think the cost to get licenses for all those fonts would probably exceed the cost of a Windblows 10 license.

>not just copying the fonts from a windows machine

>tfw forgot to do that before I installed linux on my laptop

>using inconsolata for a paper

What the fuck you were thinking? I would have failed you for trying to make me suffer like that.

bruh
ttf-mscorefonts-installer

I'm using Fedora. ttf-microcoretonts-installer is a debian based thing. I had to do it the hard way, but at least I learned some new stuff

Have you tried just fucking copying the fonts to ~/.fonts?

Most style guides ask for the text to be justified.
Would anyone even notice that it's monospaced?

>not just extracting the font from the iso, which you would have to find the install.wim or .esd and extract that to get to the actual files.

It's considerably easier if you can find a Windows 9x or NT 4 install disk.

>not just installing windows, formatting typing paper, then reinstalling linux

How does this guy even tie his shoes?

>one of the higher up executives prints everyones redundancy package in comic sans
>reading in comic sans you're dismissed and you'll get $4k for each year you've worked there

>>MLA forces you to use Microsoft fonts
>>MLA

who?

Why won't they let you use Liberation Serif? I get that they don't want people using the Ubuntu font or something with weird spacing, but Liberation Serif is the same size as Times New Roman and doesn't look that different.

this is why i got all my bullshit prereqs out of the way first: so i could concentrate on REAL work that doesn't involve fucking word.exe and doing powerpoint bullshit

liberation serif and tinus (e.g.), among others, are metrically identical to times.
no prof or accredited institution of higher learning is going to give a shit if you use those instead

>MLA
What?