/wt/ Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of whorology as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing :
youtu.be/hoO7PtR0ujY

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

>unboxing and review's
youtube.com/watch?v=RRAHpgAbMmU

>Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

60clicks.com/ww2-military-watch-guide/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for Vostok

why doesn't this have a rope place on the windy knob?

>faggot
>douchebag
>neckbeard 20-something who dropped out of community college and lives at home
>kikes like you shitting up my favorite board
We have such positive role models.

Leave your shitty quarrels in the previous thread, lads.

there are tank-themed dials both for the komandirskie line and the amphibia line. the komandirskie line is similar to the amphibia line, but with cheaper materials (brass cases instead of steel) and lesser water resistance. movements, dials, hands, and general workmanship are of similar quality across both lines

I think some of the Astrons are decent looking in a Japanese sportswatch kind of way, but the pricing is just way beyond what I'd be willing to spend on a quartz, it's well into mid-tier automatic range.

I was given this monstrosity as a gift a few years ago and kind of like the kind of ugly it is - if that makes sense - and appreciate the functionality, but I can see exactly how people would despise it.

Post grail casios

>why doesn't this have a rope place on the windy knob?
that's only on the Grand Seiko version :(

Where should I get a new strap for my Heuer 200M that ships to US?

Open to bracelets too

Pic is not mine, but same model

someone post the box

I really want this watch. Blue pill me on it please

citizen ecodrive navihawk

Why are all the popular watches for like divers, and pilots? What about like... accountants, or scientist. why dont these fields have specific watches.

Or like even basic navigation
hunting
bird watching

like I can think of a dozen more sports where some sort of cheat sheet, or mechanical guide could be of use.

yet its all diver watches, and ones that let you convert fuel to weight

>accountants
calculator watch
>scientist
Rolex Milguass

>accountants
Casio Databank
>scientist
Rolex Milgauss
>basic navigation
Any field watch?
>hunting
>birdwatching
G-Shock

divers and pilots place unusual physical requirements on the mechanism, so watches made for them will have special physical features

perhaps an accountant would be interested in the frederique constant business timer, which displays the ISO week number. all the accountants i know favor a day-date movement

>not using a Seamaster for everything

how does sitting in a plane place unusual physical requirements on a watch?

It's not actually a bad watch, it's just huge and kinda ugly. It's also a bit hard to read, the hands tend to get lost in the dial clutter. Oh, and the stock strap sucks, the deployant clasp has sharp edges that dig into your wrist, hence the Hirsch on mine.

It's a pretty technically cool watch, though. It's not a traditional quartz at all, more of a computerized digital watch with stepper motors controlling the hands. One nice effect of this is that you can switch the analog hands between time zones with a button press, which makes it quite nice for travel.

negative pressure, g-forces, magnetic fields. don't think about a b777, think about a dc-3 or a jet fighter

No pilot watch ever required a special movement. They even had mechanical clocks in the dashboard. Also, for example, a Speedmaster's crystal failed only once in the vacuum of space.

However there are physical properties that pilots needed.

>Large for easy legibility and wearing over coat, also to utilize common pocket watch movements
>Large crown for while using gloves
Later features added chronographs, tachymeter markings, standard rate turn markings, sliderule markings, GMT time...

>No pilot watch ever required a special movement.

the flyback chronograph was developed specifically for pilots. rolex developed its GMT master movement also specifically for pilots. i think what is throwing you off is that there is not a single unifying "pilot movement", because unlike the problem of diving, pilot watches have had to solve a number of different problems for different applications. this is to be expected because there is really not a single prototypical "pilot watch"

Exactly, it's not pressure and g-forces, and every pilot feature is optional. A diving watch will not function without water resistance.

you forgot about antimagnetism

>no pilot ever
Stoped reading there. Are you really that ignorant?

>scientist
>Milgauss
True for a specific subset many years ago. I've seen more scientists wearing grand seikos than milgausses, but most people just wear casio.

Again, optional. A pilot is not subjected to large amounts of magnetic forces.

Well put.

someone's salty!

It's pretty comfortable actually. About 4.5mm thick so it takes about a week or so to break in.

>Again, optional. A pilot is not subjected to large amounts of magnetic forces.

>Additionally, mechanical movements were housed in anti-magnetic iron cages to prevent electrical interference from flight equipment
60clicks.com/ww2-military-watch-guide/
Damn your right there is no reason for that feature.

Making Grandfather proud.

I need a respectable diver for under 300 dollars. Don't care if quartz or mech. Just as long as it is under 43mm large and not a Casio, SKX or Orient

you ruled out almost all respectable divers under $300 at the end there

Is the lume on turtle good? I'm considering getting one.

all lume is shit, but seiko diver lume is much less shit than most

Someone's Salty!

>ordered a cheap microbrand watch with a seagull st19 movement
I really hope it's not shit. I've read so many horror stories about 1963s giving up the ghost that I'm not sure I will be comfortable with that watch on my wrist.

Right, every single pilot watch today features documented greater than average antimagnetic resistance and passengers of commercial airlines are recommended to not bring their nonantimagnetic watches on board.

what don't you like about casio the SKX or Orient?

all other sub 300dollar divers look similar

Citizen NY0040

Sounds good enough for me then. As long as it's better than vostok.

oh, vostok is about as bad as lume gets. but i want to emphasize here that if you want it to actually work you should consider tritium

Memes. It's gotten better.

What are some nice tritium divers? I don't think I want to spend more than $600. Could stretch to 800, maybe.

Do you have a tritium watch? It does stay on for long unlike lume, but the light is very weak.

yes, i have a marathon and a traser and have had the opportunity to test them side-by-side numerous times. for the first 5-10 minutes the luminous paint seems to glow like a torch but tritium is brighter by 45-60 minutes later and the only thing you can even see after 90 minutes

of all the lies that watch lovers tell, "lume is good" has to be the most brazen

I had so many people told me Seiko lume lasted all night

I was so excited when I got my first brand new $500 seiko with supposedly the best lume

Faint as shit and almost unreadable after 2 hours, and totally unreadable shortly after that, i was afraid i had gotten a fake or been scammed some how but I really think this is true of all lume

If I can get a night's sleep and wake up still being able to read my watch under the covers then yes, the lume is good.

i'm willing to believe that, for example, rolex has lume that is earth-shattering, lasting as much as 100% longer than everyone else. i would still classify it as barely useful trash

I'm extremely picky with watches and I love this. not ugly at all bro

I find most seiko lume to be visible even in the morning before the sun rises, but only when my eyes have adjusted to the darkness.

The lume on my omega's lasts all night. If i sleep with the watch on I'll be able to read it under the covers in the morning. Quite bright too very legible

Yeah, lume is shit, but it's not like tritium is good either.
Honestly the only good way of seeing time in the dark is some kind of illumination, but of course that only works with a battery-powered watch.

Maybe the energy generated by a spring drive movement could be used for a small LED... Or even just a small generator actuated by a slider like chiming watches.

i really just want radium paint

I don't know how finding a moderately stable isotope with near-harmless decay of pretty much any element is so difficult. I guess that, producing it in large quantities, and producing a phosphor that doesn't degrade from radiation hitting it, are the challenges.

discontinued

Casio looks too cheap, Orient's thin bezels annoy me, I can go for other Seiko models

You can still easily buy it.

>I've seen more scientists wearing grand seikos
What models were they wearing?
>inb4 sprung drev

Thank you, I'm probably going to get one.

Taken apart the bracelet of the Crystron today as much as I could and I'm soaking the links and split-pins in rust dissolver. There must be an easier way to clean these.

/fa/ thinks my Amphibia is a wrist fedora, is it true /wt/? :(

Your shouldn't go to /fa/ in the first place.

Looking to get an Explorer one day but I can’t see my self owning more than five pieces. Which one should go?

Are you blind in the dark? I can see the time on any of my divers' lume all night long in complete darkness. When there a bit of ñight and the lume is fading it becomes harder, and thats when you rely on the reflection of the high polished part of the hands.

Tritium mut be even better i suppose.

Of course when i know i am going to be iat the fields or road all night i wear a gshock; but i can make do with a diver no prob also.

I mean their board is a faggotry ridden shithole and their watch threads are slow and soulless af but sometimes you see some anons who know their shit and post interesting stuff. Maybe they are /wt/ posters as well.

No. Wrist fedoras are vintage dressy watches.

I post in both threads. Thought everybody did to a certain degree.

In the last thread some anons discussed about vintage Timexes. Here’s my vintage plastic case mechanical camper, made in the Philippines. It’s from the 80s but it’s made after the watches worn by the Americans in the Vietnam war. Afaik this model was worn by McGyver and also by the cast of Platoon. Keeps time very well and is very sturdy despite its pin lever movement (no jewels). The crystal is acrylic which is easy to polish. Fucking love this little watch, my daily beater. Believe it or not go it two years ago from flebay for just 14€ shipped.

Fuck wrong pic

I never did and I'm here for three years now. Though I'm more of a movement fag.

Looks like a Swatch.

You can assume a different persona for each boars. I do sometimes.

How do you know they weren't some other A-17 pattern watch?

Nah, too autistic for that. Besides for me if a watch doesn't have a good movement then it's a fucking pile of steaming dogshit regardless of aesthetics. Why would I go to /fa/ then?

The mechanical camper was worn in Platoon, thus it qualified as a Vietnam war style watch despite the anachronism, since it’s a 80s watch like I said.
Have you ever seen a swatch?

Sorry, misread your post. On the Platoon pic you can see clearly it’s a timex mechanical camper, also it’s mentioned in several forum threads. In the case of McGyver this is a wristshot from the series.

Probably that Seiko field watch, right? It's the closest to the Explorer and you'd still have the SKX.

Good if you've figured this out, I've paid close attention to Platoon but could never identify the watches.

Does Seiko make any divers under 42mm other than the SKX013? I'm looking for a midsize dive watch.

Lost my F-91W today.
Should I buy another one or get a better watch?

You know the answer.

There is a titanium solar that is 38mm.

Seiko on left - no need for explorer homage when you have the real thing

WHY DO YOU KEEP POSTING THAT SHITTER HERE EVERY FUCKING SINGLE DAY

FUUUUUUCK YOU

I'm not even that poster. user asked if Seiko made smaller dive watches. I posted one. Calm down autist.

Agreed.

>no windy knob

why would a solar watch need a winding knob anyway its a fookin battery not a spring

for setting the time and date

Not a fan of solar watches. Battery or mech only

>seiko solar watches don't have a 6+ month battery

I store my watches in a covered case. I don't want to rely on the sun.

Do you have any sort of emotional connection to any of your watches ?

Do any of them have any special meaning?

Post a picture of it

I just ordered a MVMT Mariner, did i fuck up Sup Forums ?

if you put it in the dark it hibernates for like a year (telling the time internally but not moving the hands) and when you pick it up it's good again

b8er pls go