>global menu integrated flawlessly
>very useful and beautiful HUD menu
>dock actually has full functionality including badges and progress

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unity
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>mfw windows DE is more stable and robust then GNOME SHIT ahahahahahahaa

shill pls go why dont gnome devs just kill themselves

both gnome and windows lags like shit (20 fps) when resizing file manager, with my gtx 1080 at 4k resolution. No issue with openbox

On top of that:
>Unity 8 was supposed to be switched to Qt

I though unity was as shit as it can get and I hated it but then ubuntu switched to gnome.

have no idea what Ubuntu is or does, sorry

>this

Fucking GNOME dev, so retarded.

I couldn't agree any more OP

Why they dropped Unity?

They say that was just "cost-saving measure", but, IMO, they simply got bullied.

Do you work at Canonical :D

This.
>Gnome is now most common DE but the Gnome team is focused on making it look like a phone UI instead of a proper DE

Unity was not shit
It just had to deal with many gnome applications and the workflow was different.
Shit like this was supposed to be fixed in unity8 by completely remaking the desktop and using qt the only mistake was making mir instead of just using x11 and when the time was right to port to wayland.
The unity dock is light years ahead of gnome shit. It could even find an application even if i typed it in a different language.
For example searching ππσσππ would find ppsspp
Dash can also access application window options,find files(and it's really good at it),allow you to run a command without a terminal.
Plus with well designed keyboard shortcuts the DE provides one of the best mouseless experiences i have ever seen.
I really think the only reason people hated it was because canonical had done a deal with amazon to provide them with search results(which btw could be turned off.)

They droped the desktop. We are fucked thanks to gnomeme devs

This is why Linux will never achieve desktop market share. I hate OS X but I’d use it any day over Linux for desktop productivity

wasn't it forked? if does it for you, just keep using it...

Give me Kwin on OSX and I'm sold.

GNOME is just better on laptops or smaller devices. KDE is amazing but on smaller screens its kinda shit since it doesnt fit well on a smaller screen. But on desktops id never use gnome.

They held a public poll, actually, and the overwhellming opinion was that Unity needed to go.

>GNOME is just better on laptops or small devices
You mean, where lightness matters because of battery life? No way.

He's lying. Neither gnome or kde are good, that's why legacy DEs like MATE are still so popular.

And I'm saying this as someone who uses gnome because it's the only passable de for touch screens

It really was a cost-saving measure. Their main profit comes from server and cloud customers, so Unity was just taking up precious developer resources.

They only held onto Unity for so long because it was a central part of their convergence vision, which never got off the ground because OEMs didn't want to help pay for the R&D.

This.

I used to think I hated Unity, but I really just hated the shit it inherited from Gnome. The stuff Canonical added was actually good (aside from the Amazon lens, obviously.)

>unity 8 is meant to be used with mir
Does it mean it's ultimately dead?

>spend years being an arch and then gentoofag
>get sick of it and go back to ubuntu 16.04
never been comfier. this shit is the best distro, fuck what gentooniggers tell you.

Watch the "Working at Canonical" video and you'll understand.

I feel like Canonical is run by a bunch of nerds who get bullied and influenced by HR managers and product vendors even at ages 45-50.

I actually liked Unity and I had no problems with it's work flow. The problem with Unity is that it was stuck on Ubuntu because they modified packages rather than created new packages. Attempting to get Unity running on a good distro like Gentoo or Arch was a lesson in frustration as updating even one package would cause a billiard ball reaction that effectively bricked the install. I don't like the apt package manager and I think adding hundred of extra repo in for every bit of meme software I want is a waste of time and takes forever to update and grade as it has to poll every repo in sequence. The AUR is the correct solution to this issue as it's just a single repo using scripts to download and install shit.

its still shit for touch devices unlike w10 were there is an actual tablet modus
t. surface owner

What is with these promised independent unity forks? Are they still working on it?

They need a target to build against. Presumably Ubuntu. The only current Ubuntu version that doesn't already ship with Unity is 17.10, which has basically been abandoned after the Meltdown/Spectre decable. I'm guessing the Unity forks will pick up once 18.04 is out, when they have a userbase willing and able to test their packages.

Unity and Ubuntu were great in theory. The problem is regular Debian is way more stable.

Unity has always been garbage. Polished garbage.

>gone

Ubuntu unity remix 18.04 alpha is already downloadable you tard, it got forked into a distro.

>polished and stable
That's the opposite of Unity.

unity is unironically the best linux DE, and now they're killing it

>>global menu integrated flawlessly
This is the only part of Unity that really made it worthwhile.

unity 8 looked really nice

Actually kill yourself

>yfw canonical convinces gnome devs to integrate the best aspects of unity

oh who am I kidding?

kys jordan you fucking nigger

We all know what will really happen is that the gnome devs will convince everyone else to incorporate the worst parts of gnome.

You're forgetting the part where nothing was customisable and everything was dumbed down for their convergence vision. It was becoming a cellphone OS on a desktop.

Nah it's still better than w10, but not as good as w8.

You're right.

Luckily we still have ubuntu mate.

Apple figured this out decades ago with consumer Unix (second down on the left in the attached image), and before them we obviously had CDE for commercial systems. I can't imagine why the open source community has not learned from the lessons of inconsistent and/or unstable DEs. KDE seems to be the closest thing to a proper standard environment and yet everyone uses distros that target Unity or Gnome. Hopefully their Neon distro or whatever it's called gains more traction, or people switch to SUSE.

There's been various points in time where different versions of gnome weren't even ported to the BSDs for a long time because nobody cared enough to even ask since they had KDE, that has to say something itself.

I never understood why they made it a defacto Ubuntu exclusive, it would probably have been much more popular if it was aviable on every distro.

Remember this:

But it is available on most distros worth installing.

What's your face when you realised it's Unity you are responding to and shitting about, realising slowly you could've installed GNOME anytime to fix your shit.
>Go shit yourself, you piece of fuck

i always thought that this is just a gnome fork with a ubuntu theme. it looks exactly like gnome and has no features and settings just like gnome.

>Gnome is now most common DE
I still doubt that, just because known distros ship it doesn't mean people actually use it.

>Installing KDE on Arch
sudo pacman -S plasma
>Installing Unity on Arch
Just see it for yourself: wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unity

There never was an easy way to install Unity on any other distro.

mac used to be so comfy

Ubuntu has shipped with an inoperable version or GRUB since 2010, and has had problems recognizing blank CDs since 2008

Explorer DE literally only exists to help you install BBZero instead.