Game developing from 0

I suddenly realized, i want to become [s]hokage[/s] game engine developer. Please, Sup Forums, push me to the right direction, any help would be good. I know C++ a little, but didn't do anything more serious than a schedule app for Android (and in Kotlin, it isn't even computer graphics shit). So I need something to start with. Like simple tasks or guides. Some people said Vulkan is new&cool, so why don't I try it at first, but i haven't any experience neither in openGL nor in Vulkan. Gentoo is already installed, i hope it would help.

Other urls found in this thread:

opengameart.org/
sfml-dev.org/learn.php
github.com/SFML/SFML-Game-Development-Book
handmadehero.org
godotengine.org/article/godot-3-0-released
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bump

Bump!

raylib

Unity

I also recommend that you familiarize yourself with some existing game engine. You can also follow HandMadeHero. Then go balls deep into game engine development.

Thank you, user, but what if i would start examine low-level things like OpenGL? would it be good or bad?

You should start by learning Prolog. It's a logic programming language that is very important in things like game logic and AI.
For graphics i suggest programming directly in java byte code. Plain java is too slow, but anything else won't give you the portability that you would want.
The physics engine should be done in matlab.
Sound needs Vulkan's compute api if you want highly computed sounds.

And lastly for user control i suggest using assembly and bypassing the drivers by directly accessing the ram areas for the input devices.

Thanks, but like what kind of engines? Do I need to learn old ones as well? Would old OpenGL coding standarts help me? I am kinda interested to examine the idtech sources, but i don't know, are there a good example of game engines

Good. Raylib and Handmadehero (as pointed out)
are excellent resources to get you going. Best of luck.

this

>ram areas
>input devices

e.g. unity or unreal. Those both are well documented and many examples are available. I don't understand how are you even going to apply openGL standard outside the scope of graphics

>ram areas
>BYPASSING DRIVERS
>input devices

retard.jpg

A VERY decent game engine is Godot, probably one of the most impressive game engines I've seen in awhile.

Please explain to me what did i say wrong.

Look into WebGL, you can do cool things with it and the game can be run inside of a browser

Vulkan is for devs who already know OpenGL
try learning OpenGL first

Ahahah the retard won't tell me because i'm RIGHT.

You keep thinking that, the rest of us are happy to keep laughing at you

I just love an idea that somewhere there is an autistic kid who can't figure it out and squirms while trying to find what went wrong

Just fucking TELL ME if you are not trolling
oh wait you are AHAHAHH

This. Vulkan is complicated and fairly new, so there aren't as many tutorials on it yet. Look up a good OpenGL tutorial instead. Just make sure you get one for "modern" (post-3.0) OpenGL, with vertex buffers and shaders and shit. (If you see a "glBegin()" anywhere, you're in the wrong place.)

Try Allegro. I've been through SDL and it leaves a lot to be wanted. If I started again I'd probably do Allegro or GLFW with some graphics rendering library like NanoVG or maybe bgfx (but I haven't looked into it enough).

If you do use SDL make sure to use SDL_gpu instead of the default rendering stuff which is utter trash.

This, OpenGL is much easier to start with.

Wew. I had no idea that a random shitpost from me would get this much attention. I feel kind of proud really.

uhm... so why that guy was in the wrong btw?

nice try

i'm not him desu

>i want to become game engine developer
Serious advice: develop a game, not an engine. If you try to develop an engine in isolation, you'll just wind up with a pile of abstract bullshit half of which isn't actually useful for any real purpose. Instead you should develop a shitty game from scratch, then take all the reusable parts out of it and use them to build another, different game. Do this a few times and you can call those reusable parts an "engine".

But for this i cannot write music and draw sprites..

good advice

>get free music
>get free sprites / do shitty ones

problem solved

t. developed quite a few shitty games

opengameart.org/
Endless supply of free shitty game assets

Your game doesn't need to look good, sound good, or actually be fun. Its only purpose is to help you figure out which features are actually useful in a game engine.

actually you should listen the guy. You have no idea what is required for game engine. It's much more than slapping together something with openGL which is even wrong starting point.

Fuck that. Use ue4

I'm currently going through SFML books sfml-dev.org/learn.php github.com/SFML/SFML-Game-Development-Book
it's just 2D but nice to see how game code is structured before going to something more difficult like 3D OpenGL

Resources
8ch /agdg/
handmadehero.org

>Godot
this. open source, up and coming, multiple language choice, new release 3.0 yesterday

And we're proud of you

There is a guy on youtube by the name of ThinMatrix, he has a series of tutorials on how to create a modern openGL game engine.

The videos are in Java, but you can follow the series on anything that supports GLFW.

Also all game engines suck.

Learn the graphics pipeline
And then make youre shit from there
But also just like make game

you'll give up very soon

Godot or ue4. Don't use unity.

Some good advice here but this is more of a question for /sqt/ or one the /r/ boards. Also as others have said check out godot as it just had a big update that makes it a usable engine and is all open source. See what they use, learn to use git, and start making pulls. Good luck faggot and learn to lurk moar.
godotengine.org/article/godot-3-0-released

Use Roblox

Do not use C++, or you'll simply never finish it. There is way too much things to take care of than it's worth.
If you want to just create a game and get a feel what game developer need, just pick Unity and/or godot and/or unreal and make some smaller games with them.
If you want something that won't hold your hand all the way in, pick LOVE 2D or something. It's more like framework for games, so you don't have to deal with importing assets, dealing with hardware etc. and you can just focus on creating graphic/sound managers, physics engine, AI etc.
Making games in just C++ comes with lot's of unnecessary things, but if you really want to, pick SDL and OpenGL(maybe vulcan) and try to look for libraries that will do help you import/use stuff,