Why the Hell is RAM So Expensive?

>16GB over $10/GB
>used to be around $4/GB
>GPU prices also retardedly high

What is happening, Sup Forums? Are (((they))) trying to prevent us from building our own PCs?

Other urls found in this thread:

gamersnexus.net/industry/3186-chinese-government-investigating-dram-price-fixing-allegations
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>DDR4

Prices are high because of minors.

The 3 big manufacturers are price fixing. Look it up, China is investigating it and everything.

>minors

>implying that which has no implication
Saulce?

gamersnexus.net/industry/3186-chinese-government-investigating-dram-price-fixing-allegations

>Implying Sup Forums isn't a bunch of minors.

We have this topic every week or pretty much every day. Graphics cards are only expensive due to the fact that crypto-currency miners are buying hundreds of them. They are willing to go to a brick and mortar store and buy the whole inventory or attempt to buy out the whole city. If you buy online, they are usually sold out or sold for hundreds over the original price.

>get a job
A lot of us anons have jobs. Why should we have to pay several hundred more than what the original price was? I bought a GTX-970 years ago when it was a relatively a new card and now it costs more than the original price. The price of hardware is supposed to go down not up. Older laptops cost less than a new laptop as they become obsolete.

Nvidia wants to make a limit where people can only buy 2 graphics cards, yet miners are probably going to find a way to exploit this so they can buy more.

The reason why DDR4 ram is more expensive is because newer cellphones use the same type of ram.

Now can we get the USA and EU to start investigating as well?
If all three big markets start hounding them maybe they'll smarten up.

They've done this multiple times. It's just that time of the decade again.

I'm just hoping the demand drops off by the time I make my Zen2 (7nm) tower to replace my ol' i7-3820, DDR3, GTX-780 unit.

Yeah, but those were separate and at different years. Have all three nail them at once instead.

Why doesn't PRChina just build their own super sized RAM fab?

It costs tens of billions of dollars and takes years to build.

>I hope the price will go down
I wish, but I doubt it. There is a term that people who buy crypto called, hodl. It is a misspelling of the word hold and just means that. Some people who never heard the term before thought it meant hold on dear life. That would also work, but miners will just wait for the next bubble or price to go up. They might just switch to another currency that is easier to mine and hype it up for people to buy that coin instead. Cryptocurrency focal point shouldn't be how valuable it is price wise, but by how it is decentralized and anonymous. I see more people holding onto their internet money and waiting for the price to skyrocket and sell it instead of spending the currency on goods and services. Some people actually buy stuff with crypto, but a lot just treat it only like stocks and only buy and sell it, instead of doing anything useful with it. Stores would accept crypto-currencies if people actually started using them.

>bought 32GB (2x16GB) of RAM for my laptop last year
>getting a new laptop with 1x16GB
>plan to put old RAM in new laptop
>4 RAM slots
>one more stick and I'll be at 64GB (4x16GB)

I know it's completely and entirely unnecessary, but I feel like I have to do it. I have to complete it.

dude leds lmao

Lol 200 bucks for 2400mhz cl16 rame

I have Gskill Flare X 3200mhz cl14 2x8gb

Paid 250 Euro

Price fixing.

at this rate you might finally be the one person in the world capable of running Chrome with more than 2 Youtube tabs open

Price fixing

>Demand skyrockets beyond prediction
>Can't just shit out a fab overnight
They'll be back to normal in 3 years or so.

>The reason why DDR4 ram is more expensive is because newer cellphones use the same type of ram.
then why is DDR3 so damn high in price?
even though sellers have literally hundreds of thousands (individually mind you) of these sticks in storage..

Is 16gb of RAM pretty much essential now?

lol when 5 years ago top of the line ram was ~50
lol when retards think over priced garbage justifies their spending on other overpriced garbage

>this turd is selling for 200 dollars, hahahah idiots
>look at my turd, it sells for 250 dollars, aren't i kewl?

I was in best buy the other day (was in the area) and those pieces of shit had 16 GBs of ddr3 for $180.

How are they still in business?

Had some ddr4 lying around, decided to sell it now thanks to this post user.

Ignoring their ram (and cable) prices, it's still pretty convenient for many people to purchase big electronics like TVs and home appliances in-store. And a lot of time, they have pretty good deals on shit.

>tfw built with 4x4gb DDR3 five years ago
>why do you need so much ram, user?
>still using the same PC with nothing new save for a replacement fan and a new HDD
>how is this old thing still so fast, user?

If I did it again today, I'd do 4x16. The number of normies who get HDD churn and call it lag or think it's their computer being slow is nuts.

To build RAM? Are you serious? Kys.

Yes, he's serious.
Why do you think there are only three manufacturers worldwide?