I've never used Linux before, let alone programmed in it. Which version should I be using to prepare me for jobs...

I've never used Linux before, let alone programmed in it. Which version should I be using to prepare me for jobs? Does it not matter? Should I just install debian and be done with it?

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=251
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Debian is great.

If you want to get Red Hat certs, use CentOS.

What would I get certs? Just to be able to say I'm comfortable in a linux environment or does it have significant value?

lots of devs/corporations use SUSE. openSUSE is pretty awesome, and not a meme. Also it's the only distro that includes a special version of firefox with thumbnail preview in the file picker

I have no idea what Linux is or does sorry.

Certs are a good resume point if you don't have a degree. They can be used to leapfrog to senior positions.

RHCSA first, actually teaches you a good bit.

RHCE is harder and takes longer to prepare for.

Both are quite expensive, try to get an employer to pay.

Hahahahaha, I once saw two dogs having sex in a crowded area. Funny (:

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

whoa you can see her eyes flash. she must be a vampire

I'll look into it thanks

Try Debian first, or Ubuntu.

bump

poor doogos

Preach
also
You want a pretty stable distro with fairly fresh packages, so stay away from things like Slackware or Debian Stable. SUSE or Fedora would do the job.

me on the left

Any distro is fine.

I use Gentoo on most of my machines except my servers which run Debian.
I know lots of people who use fedora, ubuntu, even fuckin rhel or arch. All of them are pretty normal devs, and anyone who argues about distro superiority is just immature.

mint kde
linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=251
this is best for beginners anything else and you will get frustrated and drop it

Do you know anything about PureOS? I was considering about it

bump

That's the last Linux Mint KDE though, and it's a shame because I would prefer they move away from GNOME/GTK

How about installing Mint and then, shocker, install KDE yourself?

except for package management and initial defaults, all linux is the same

for latest kde stuff he should add the neon repository first

I came here hoping it would be a .gif. Was not disappoint

Install Ubuntu, try the others out in a VM. Better to have dev environments in VMs to keep the cruft down.

#metoo

I use centos for my cluster. Sysadmin is closest to enterprise which is inevitably Redhat.