How good is the Xperia series?

Hey Sup Forums, it's my first time on this board and I have some question.

What's Sup Forums opinion on Xperia? Are they great? I'm thinking about buying Xperia Z5. Any advice? or maybe I should buy a different phone.

Other urls found in this thread:

flashtool.net/index.php
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Owned a couple.

Hardware is fine, Software is dogshit.

Also they're pretty fragile and expensive to fix if you drop them.

Good with Lineage OS though.

OK. Some have camera issues.

>Good with Lineage OS though.

Ignore this bandwangoning memer.

couple of things it seems with every iteration of android or every xperia update (z1, z2, z3 etc) they remove some features
Z% doesnt have magnetic charger anymore, mounting remote shares has disappeared I think since Z3, network over lan (using usb lan adaptor) is disabled in XZ, changing wifi hotspot channel has not been a feature ever (and I had that on my note tablet from years ago), camera is shit contrary to what sony tells you.
Also the old led screen simply cannot compare to samsungs amoled.
All in all Z5 is not a bad phone, I personally had enough of sony and will be getting samsung next

Had Samsung and LG phones in the past and then bought a Z3, using an XZs now.
Can't go back to gook phones.

The hardware is pretty good. I got a XZ1 Compact and I'm pretty happy with it, apart from Sony removing popular software features like double tap to wake and not incorporating stock Oreo features.
I can't speak for the rest of the XZ line but my phone is built like a little ThinkPad, a lot of the Z series have been fragile but this phone in particular is tank. Camera is dogshit. An absolute joke for a flagship, 960fps is just a useless novelty, low light looks disgusting.
But the phone is fast as fuck, it's only pushing 720p so it has a ridiculous amount of processing power.

I wouldn't really recommend the Z5 series, after repairing a few of them and my friends who bought them I can tell you they are somewhat fragile and have all sorts of quirks and problems. So far I haven't had a single issue like that with my XZ1C.
I'd only really recommend Xperia if you want a compact flagship because they're the only ones on offer. The XZ Premium's 4K screen is a bit of a meme and the regular XZ1 really doesn't have anything going for it that other phones in its price braket don't already have (see Xiaomi for better features around the same price)

Hope I helped user

Bought z5 dual for traveling, its band support is amazing. Camera is pretty good with proper tweaking. Sony allows unlocking the bootloader now which is pretty cool but it fucks up a few things like the drm keys, which once you lose they're impossible to get back fully. Battery life is moderate, it's fast as hell but will definitely cook itself if you let it. Mhl support was one of the main reasons I bought it too, casting is dog shit. All in all phone is 7/10 would recommend

Need to root them like with all phones, otherwise they're pretty good.

fantastic

Yeah boii

Picture didn't attach :'(

can pls have that wallpaper

I got it for the camera, not disappointed. Having expierence with DSLR cameras i know how to use the manual mode, but photos will look like shit in manual mode if you don't know what you are doing. Its a 23 megapixel sensor, amazing detail for a phone if you will be editing. Shoot in 20 megapixels if you want 1080p photos, otherwise 23 megapixels is 4:3 square.

4k video looks great, audio pickup is amazing (and stereo), you can shoot in normal video mode and have 5 axis hardware stability for really nice smooth videos (for being on a phone). Timelapse mode is amazing, slow motion mode is awesome, if your battery is lower than 30% the video quality will stutter and its not worth taking the video.

Very fast phone, battery lasts all day, front facing camera is better than most (also a wide angle)

There is a DSLR blur extra function if you scroll right all the way, it basically the iPhone portrait mode except you can control how much blur the background is after taking the photo.

you sound like the most entry level photographer possible.

I have a Z2 and it's still smooth and never stutters other than very recent games with demanding graphics. Hardware is also sturdy as fuck, I've dropped this phone so many times during 3 years of use, but it only ever got scratches and some chipping. Camera is awful though, doesn't matter how much tweaking you do the ISP is just shit and you pretty much only have control over exposure and ISO. I know more recent xperias have shutter speed controls as well, but there's still no way to save raw files, so if camera performance is important to you don't get one until Sony decides to just add full camera2 api support and stop fucking up the best phone sensor on the market with their shit ISP and lack of user control. Also the lens is made of plastic lul

Z1 was very decent. OS updates fucked it slightly. 7.5/10 would xperiameme again.

Had Z3C.

I liked how it looked and felt, good battery, waterproof and shit but there where serious quality issues. On mine back plate separated from the frame, camera lens flaked off. Also in call volume was pretty low.

Then I got xperia x and it had such horrible wifi sensitivity I never used it in the end. Still collects dust in drawer.

Would still get another xperia tho.

Z3 Compact, cons:
>camera was relatively shit
>camera lens was plastic or something easily scratchable
>port covers didn't last long so good bye water resistance
>the glass back cover got broken because of freezing temperatures and also can't resist drop from 20 cm to gravel
>headphone jack got loose
>displays attachment didn't last probably due to the glue getting bad at moist environments like sweaty pockets
>awful bloat
>noisy DAC

pros:
>compact size but still powerful
>dedicated camera button
>notification led

If they would fix all the cons I might conside some Xperia again

ayyyee lmao

How are AOSP-based ROMs on the X Compact?

I really want that phone, but I don't want to be fucked for updates.

Xperia is quite similar to AOSP, so yes.
And Sony is providing 2 yearish updates depending it's flagship or not.

If you’re not remotely interested in any Xperia compacts, then why are you looking at Xperia at all?

Because XZ premium is also a good device.

Xperia as a rule are overpriced. The only reason why the lineup is successful is the compact line up (the only small smartphone that isn’t shit) which brings attention to the rest of the devices. And even when comparing the compact line up to other devices, an iPhone se 64gb is still cheaper.

z5 compact is pretty sweet

Is your xzs dual ?
This is the only model available Over here and im afraid of not recieving updates...

Had nexus 5x before, and i know xzs is a big phone but how big?
Battery life last a day? Average screen on time? Câmera?

the Z5 is like 3-4 years old,

go for the XZ1, XZ1 compact or XZ premium

the SE is old as shit, and is utterly terrible compared to the XZ1 compact.

Don't buy a phone with a non removable battery, bro. Trust me.

>I have experience with DSLR cameras
>Claims the Sony phone has a good camera

lmao please.
The Xperia series has an absolute dogshit camera. The sensor itself is good, but the processing is terrible and you get better pictures on Iphones/Samsung flagships that are older.

I have an Xperia Z5, I like pretty much everything about it except the camera. It's utter trash unless the lighting is pitch perfect. The rest of the phone is good, it has good battery life, not much bloat, it's fast and the design is solid.
But I get no Android updates anymore which is bullshit.

last time I got an xperia, the charger port broke after a year and I hated the software it came with

Agreed!

not him but here you go

Why not?

Stop trying to kill this board.

Hardware and software is good on the z, z5p and the xzp. I haven't tried the others. Friends have had the Z3, z3c and z5c and all are meant to be pretty great. As long as you don't cheap out on them they're really good contenders with the main companies and provide decent quality hardware.

I got a X Compact (coming from Nexus 4/5) and it's good enough. Sony makes it easy to unlock the bootloader so if you want to flash another OS, you can do that without hassle. Hardware performance (camera, speed, audio, etc) is acceptable, but never outstanding. They're also more expensive than they should be. I waited for a price drop to get mine. The biggest thing is that it gets a lot of compliments because it looks so distinctive from Apple/Samsung/ChinkPhones.

I use flashtool.net/index.php to flash a generic firmware to my phone(looking it looks like that phone has the latest, Oreo with Jan security update).
Though if you can find it get the XZ1 version

Sorry user, the X Compact was the bastard compact that should not have been made. Normally the compacts are the top tier phones in a smaller body, the X Compact they actually downgraded the hardware, thankfully this is not the case with the XZ1 Compact.

The XC still had better hardware than the Z5C. Also Sony absolutely refuses to drop prices on older phones. Both of those phones still sell at ~$310.

Is that Sony or a 3rd party selling it? Also the Z5C was a ~500$ phone when it was released, so the price has dropped 200$.

>Software is dogshit
Other than the preinstalled crap the android skin is quite light and looks better than most android manufacturers. Make sure not to drop it is pretty much on point though, z1c front glass broke and I couldn't get a working replacement part.

I have a Z5 and have an annoying problem. After several minutes of use, like browsing Sup Forums through Clover, when I swipe up from the bottom to scroll down, the page jumps to the bottom like I did an extreme swipe. I'll do a feather-light swipe and it will still do this. The only remedy I've found is to press the power button to turn off screen and turn it back on. Anyone else have this fucking problem? I like the phone otherwise.

Used to have Z5 compact and it was good but got slower after a couple of years. Now onto an XZ1 which is great, doesn't damage much when I drop it (just a few scrapes here and there).

Sony are my go to phones just now since these last 2 have been great.

had the xperia arc
bought into the low light meme and turns out im not popular enough to be using the camera to take pictures with friends in a low light situation like club or something
it was built like a tank tho since i was pretty rough with it and flashing lots of retarded roms to the point that im pretty sure the entire device is like a rom whore or something
switch to iphone after that and forgot about it until now

The only good-looking android phones on the market, nearly all other manufacturers fell for the shamsung curved-corner meme

My Xperia gets up to 10h screen on time. Fuck off.

Digitiser cancer, order a replacement lcd

>still using my z3c
>I like the compact size, good battery, not too much bloat
>camera a bit disappointing
>would buy again