Do you ever get apathetic about technolo/g/y?

Do you ever get apathetic about technolo/g/y?

Do you ever get bored of anything related to computers? Did you ever downgrade hardware on purpose?

I stopped caring a few years ago

Once you grow up and stop playing video games, you really stop caring about having the best computer parts.
It just becomes about making the most economical purchases or realising you don't need to upgrade at all.

>Do you ever get apathetic about technolo/g/y?
nope

>Do you ever get bored of anything related to computers?
nope

>Did you ever downgrade hardware on purpose?
nope

This is the information age.
The global society is developing AI, new and improved programming languages, extremely compact hardware, DNA information storage, nanobots, wearable computing, VR tech, re-launching space rockets, brain-computer interfaces...
If you're apathetic re. tech, then you're probably just apathetic in general.

why does this sound true

>maybe it's because it's true

Smartphones, stopped caring about those years ago.
Back then I used to autistically check the net for new releases, features and hardware used in mobile phones, but then just stopped giving a fuck when every phone started looking the same

Yeah I sold my gaming PC and got a Thinkpad. Unironically.

I still play videogames and use my desktop computer for work related stuff which requires some powerful components, but my laptop and smartphone I am completely apathetic about; and I don't have a tablet, TV or anything else really.
I really don't care about progress on smartphones and laptops, because I don't use them for anything other than browsing the web, checking emails and getting phone calls & skype calls.

>The global society is developing AI
AI is a marketing term for glorified scripts and bots.
>extremely compact hardware
At the expense of performance.
>wearable computing
Google Glass didn't take off and smartwatches aren't taking off because wearables are a gimmick, nothing else. People buy them for the novelty and then don't use them.
>VR tech
Accelerometers and stereoscopic screens ooooh, not like those haven't been around forever. VR is yet another marketing term, this time for an overpriced and gimmicky input device that's barely usable.
>re-launching space rockets
For what purpose exactly?

yep

feels like technology just stopped.

stopped buying games because the DRM is more important than the experience

my current gaming rig is probably gonna be my last one for reasons above

I'm just gonna get a surface or some phablet bullshit with a dock once my laptop dies, although I've had him since 2014 and paid 400 bucks for him, he still seems to work excellently

my last smartphone, also purchased in 2014, still works fabulously. I honestly don't know what I would get from an upgrade.

there is literally no innovation.

>smartwatches aren't taking off

I did get a smart watch recently and I have to say I do like the health tracking, and am trying to improve my sleep with it.

It feels like the big corps don't innovate anymore because they own the market. When some small fry disrupts the industry with innovation, the big corps buy it with an impossible to refuse offer.

The last thing to impress me was bitcoin/blockchain and even that is starting to go stale. It hasn't even properly gone mainstream yet

Why the fuck do you format your post like that, redditor?

Yeah, the only thing I'm a little bit excited for are e-ink displays but they never come. The tech is there but no one puts it to use.

I get annoyed by almost any device or gadget that comes out now.

I feel like no device is made to serve its user anymore, just its maker. Anything has to be networked now and has some kind of app so they can search your phone too. All new tech is about restrictions.

You want that game? Sure but you need a permanent internet connection so we can prevent you from even playing single player for no apparent reason (mostly the reason is server problems on their side). You want this music? That's cool as long as you connect the smartphone app to the internet every 30 days or we prevent playback.

Smartphones are one of the biggest jokes right now. My '12 Samsung Galaxy SIII is still feature complete in 2018 if you don't care about scanning fingerprints (which you shouldn't because you can never use your fingerprint as password). New phones have meme resolutions/cameras but don't improve on functionality or usability at all. Battery life hasn't improved at all at any time in the history of smartphones. Not that smartphones are any fun, though, because they primarily exist to track you.

because I like to trigger newfags

This.

The "reddit space lolol"-meme has to die. Extra newlines aren't invented by reddit but it's a way to separate paragraphs as long as human writing exists. You don't fit in or look cool by screeching "REDDIT lol have to go back, desu sempai!" at every attempt to make a post more readable. You see that extra new line at line 3 of this post? Comfy isn't it.

>paragraphs
Those aren't fucking paragraphs.
They're single sentences, missing capitalisation and trailing full-stops.
Classic reddit spacing retardation.

I believe that this has two causes:
>incremental improvement is cheaper and less risky than innovation
>there is a bigger pool of possible combinations making innovation less necessary

You can take pretty much every part of life
>make phone app
>add gamification to it
>add social aspect to it
>add sensor data to it
>add some kind of machine learning to it

If you are a manager you rather spend your budget on one of the safe incremental improvements than risk losing your job, house and maybe career because your innovative project failed. Of course, if there's no incremental improvements left, you need something different

He just explained he exaggerated it to trigger newfriends like you.

I really wanted to upgrade after almost a decade, but there's no reason to and new parts are overly expensive. USB c with thunderbolt is still not implemented on most of the modern motherboards and it was the only feature that seemed interesting. Tiny and affordable computers with a cool thunderbolt egpu would convince me to upgrade.