VIM vs Emacs

Who cares. Use Xi.

recurse.com/events/localhost-raph-levien

(vim user here)

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/rust/comments/7u4g4j/xi_an_editor_for_the_next_20_years_recurse_center/
recurse.com/code-of-conduct
recurse.com/manual#sub-sec-social-rules
twitter.com/AnonBabble

why?

>functionality/usability is not a goal
Into the trash it goes

Last time I checked (about year back maybe?), there was no usable front-end.

>crashing, hanging, or losing work should never happen
No fucking shit. What an idiotic thing to say.

no usable front-end
also kakoune

>Look what I saw on HN today guise

So basically sublime text but written in a meme language

>JSON RPC
LOL. Goodbye performance

reddit.com/r/rust/comments/7u4g4j/xi_an_editor_for_the_next_20_years_recurse_center/
>IMO, the way you're choosing to express yourself in this thread is pretty shitty.
Only positive comments are allowed or you're in breach of the CoC.

Basically, you're fucking retarded

>editor with a backend written in rust
lol what the fuck

what would be better solution?

Meh, I am not a huge fan of reddit but if every place on the internet was like Sup Forums that would be exhausting.

>using cocoa for UI
so you can't run it in the terminal?

separate frontend and backend, there is some terminal frontend as well (read as "no one wants to develop on guhoo/loonix clusterfuck GUI toolkits so Apple's Cocoa is flagship")

There's already a super-fast, modern editor.

Rust write

What the fuck is a "frontend" and "backend"?
Vi is a simple program. I type vi cucumber, and it starts vi with a new file called cucumber open.
I hear about "frontend" and "backend" so often nowadays. What is that?

It's just a text editor.
It doesn't need RPC, backend, frontend or other bullshit. The concept was perfected 60 years ago.

kate?

Think of vim as the graphical frontend to ed.

it literally isn't that though

basically client-server architecture
Vim is also a server that communicates and provides interface for various plugins which can work independently to the visual client, which is in this architecture also just plugin that cares for parts of code to display. In Vim it's tied together, but e.g. Emacs can work as server and have GUI and TUI windows attacked to it.

there's the idea that you have to split everything up into a million little pieces and have all of those pieces talk to each other for the software to be "robust" and "flexible". Probably the #1 reason for all of the shitty software nowadays, alongside all of the shitty fucking languages people use.

actually "modular" is the meme people use

>recurse.com/code-of-conduct
>recurse.com/manual#sub-sec-social-rules

Kakoune, dingus. Read the image filename.

ui and logic should be separated though. tie them together and youll never be able to change even minor details in either

>he thinks "kakoune" looks like anything but a random id or something to outsiders
getting tired of software being named after words from irrelevant languages

>Rust
>Mac OS X
>Cocoa
fuck that shit

Micro is the modern editor.

I mean, a basic understanding of English, even if the word isn't English, tells me that the image is the full logo for something called Kakoune, which, given the grammar and context, is likely a title. Or maybe I'm just fucking daft.

But most shit software nowadays adheres to the opposite of that philosophy.

>written in rust
>for mac os
Into the trash it goes

Why though. VS code is probably the best out there.

rust ....
stopped reading there..

>rust
dropped

>microsoft
>electron
shoo

Yzis already tried this.

Does anyone know anything about these guys at Recurse? It's not obvious from their site what Recurse actually is.

>gender neutral vi

>You don't really end up having to maintain that separate function though. So old plugins keep on working regardless of changes to whats in the message.

>Further, a C API requires that the language speaks C and that the you do a lot of reading on who owns the memory. Doing things via message passing eliminates both of those problems. Pretty much everyone speaks json and because it is message passing, the answer to who owns the memory is always "You do".

>That jives much better with things like lisp or erlang or haskell or Java. Where integrating with a C api might be somewhat cumbersome.

His repsonse:
>IMO, the way you're choosing to express yourself in this thread is pretty shitty. From my view, you're coming across as if no reasonable person could hold a position contrary to yours. You say, paraphrasing, "well, nobody has explained it to me." Fine. But just because nobody has voluntarily chosen to spend their time engaging in what appears to be a laborious conversation with you doesn't mean someone is doing something for "no obvious reason" because "it just seems like they decided to adopt a fashionable micro-services approach." What an absolutely ridiculous thing to say. If your goal is to uncover the truth, then you might consider not putting your target audience immediately on the defensive by accusing them of being shallowly fashionable.

>How is this different from a C API though?

Yep, seems like it's another project run by SJW's. I was actually cosidering checking out Xi, even though it's obviously one of those queer gender pronoun names, but now that they've blatantly tried to stifle a regular question by framing it as dissent, I really have no interest in contributing whatsoever.

>Why the fuck to libtards have to take things so literally NO MATTER WHAT IS SAID.

This is a common debate tactic for liberals and women.

If you make a statement, and aren't ridiculously specific, they will tear it apart based on your supposedly "vague" wording. They will pretend that they can't comprehend your specific implication, or read between lines, or draw the most obvious conclusion, solely so they can argue back with something - anything.

You: "BET doesn't appeal to me."
Them: "OMG You just said black people shouldn't be in movies and music!"

This shit is really old and tired. They do it CONSTANTLY and it's one of the reasons that Trump won. They are impossible to hold conversation or debate with because they deny that they can have basic perception skills.

People are sick of it. We're all called racists, homophobes, and sexists solely because of this one tactic they use of pretending to not understand what you're saying. They know damn well what's going on, but it's the only way they can push their extremist viewpoints - by making you EQUALLY extreme.

I can login to any machine at work and vi is always there
xi/emacs/cumedit is not
/eot

forgot my pic

I'm going there in the coming year.
I'll let you know.

gib anime title

>2018
>Not trusting google

>for Mac
I'm good

>insanely high performance
that's nice
>beauty
irrelevant
>reliability
that's nice but i doubt it
>developer friendliness
that's nice but i doubt it
this sounds like shit

What a strawman!

>originally built for Cocoa
I like Cocoa -- and Linux should use it instead og GTK and QT cancers by the way -- but how do you build an editor for graphics (???)

>Rust
uhh....

>not look like a throwback from the '80s or '90s
It's the Rust equivalent of an electron app, isn't it?

[spoiler][email protected][/spoiler]
[spoiler]drop me a letter, I don't want to fall out of touch with you[/spoiler]

how do you pronounce that? chi? zye? zee?

Nah, Neovim will sooner turn Vim into a proper core before Xi implements proper Vim emulation.

thanks for catching that user, I will now leave this thread.

We have a lot of shitty editors that don't execute on even this.

>>not look like a throwback from the '80s or '90s
>It's the Rust equivalent of an electron app, isn't it?
Sadly that's what it often means.

"Zigh"