What's up with all this 'Microsoft loves Linux' stuff recently? I don't understand

What's up with all this 'Microsoft loves Linux' stuff recently? I don't understand.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend,_and_extinguish
youtube.com/watch?v=zUm1L3dW69Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

"If you can't beat them, EEE them"
- Microsoft

Basically microsoft feels so much pity for 2% linux that they are now advertising it in their own OS.

Microsoft should just buy Linux

you don't need to understand love, just feel it.

>be $current_year MS
>adopt limited cooperation
>be $current_year red hat
>turn into 90s MS and EEE the loonix desktop

he looks like voldemort.

Because it makes them shekels in azure. They don't love linux, they loves money that people who love linux bringing in.

Real talk: even MS cant get any work done in PowerShell

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend,_and_extinguish

Reminder that you can get PowerShell on Linux now... don't know why, but you can...yay freedom?

It's a trojan horse! Don't do it!

>implying someone would be insane enough to want PowerShell on Linux

since every little IoT device is going to run linux Microsoft better make their shit work on it. It may even overtake MINIX as the world's most popular OS in the next few years

Linux won servers, now MS need win clouds and need use Linux.

Microsoft has always loved Unix, they were the largest Unix licensee back in the 80's. Linux is simply the best alternative currently available.

Virtualization market, like AWS cloudshit.
Microsoft sells one of the products that can create virtual boxes, and well, people run linux on those boxes, not windows.
So microsoft want to be sure that if you're running several linux instances, you're doing this on xen, not vmware.

They even send patches to the linux kernel to speed up running linux on xen.

If corporations are people, MS can't love because it's a sociopath.

youtube.com/watch?v=zUm1L3dW69Y

More likely they see packaged software licenses and the OS becoming irrelevant as everything is moving to the cloud.
With the failure of their mobile device and the mediocre Surface tablets. They need to start getting to people to use their cloud services or perish.

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY.

... reminds me of Verizon and Comcast: "WE LOVE NET NEUTRALITY, MY FELLOW HUMANS."

It's an apology for Ballmer saying Linux was a virus. You can run Bash natively in Azure, there are more Linux VMs being spun up in Azure than Windows currently.

Except linux is protected from "extend" by Linus, a ms linux fork would not be accepted.
Extinguish is prevented by the GPL.

Makes system management easier in an environment with Linux and Windows hosts.
Outside of work though this would be weird.