What sort of 'impressive' programs can someone who's graduating masters in Computer Science write to put on a github to...

What sort of 'impressive' programs can someone who's graduating masters in Computer Science write to put on a github to show potential employers that it looks like I at least have half a fucking brain.

Shit like 'program that compares 2 files and returns all the differences'; practical and small but impressive at a junior dev level.

Other urls found in this thread:

dailycodingproblem.com/
blog.robertelder.org/diff-algorithm/
blog.robertelder.org/fifo-lifo-harmful-stacks-queues/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

do a program that compares 3 files and returns all the differences

you can work on some microcontroller stuff and write software to read sensors/ control motors/ etc.
and combine all into some decent project

A vuejs or reactjs plugin with at least 1k stars on Github, i think that would get you any job.

Look for a programming challenge and focus on the harder entries

dailycodingproblem.com/

there are tons of diff algorithms and some of them are really impressive, e.g. Meyers Diff algo
blog.robertelder.org/diff-algorithm/
imho having simple documented implementation and library of non-trivial and fairly optimal algorithm is never a bad idea

>masters in Computer Science
>junior dev level

Where did you fuck up, codemonkey.

Sup Forums clone

fuck the job market

it's hard to get even one star for your stuff

Work on something people actually need for once.

Make something useful and practical, like a decent scraper/parser... it doesn't have to be hard, it has to work, to be optimized and to be useful.

if you don't want to just join some company and want to keep building a portfolio instead, join some open source project. It's not that simple to come up with something useful and innovative on your own

LMFAO how is making a diff tool impressive

There's a function called diff for that ya retard.
I'm in my senior year and we're expected to be programming in the Unix kernel.

The fuck have you been doing this whole time?

I have 200 stars on one of my projects. A-am I going to make it?

>to be programming in the Unix kernel.
Still? They did that back in 2002 when I got my undergrad. I guess Rob Pike was right.

FizzBuzz

Write a program that can find clustered planar drawings in polynomial time.

It's important to be able to program at a system level I suppose. At least I've been learning some important stuff.
Senior year of undergrad btw.

Downside is my professor doesn't seem to know any of what's going on so it's just kinda working there.

why to go outside to the real world? get into a phd program and delay life for another 5 years. nobody is hiring, anyway.

pls respond

>he fell for the Masters sans PhD meme
You're overqualified for codemonkey jobs
and underqualified for academia

Lmaoing at ur life

Your school is good. I go to a sh/t school. I wasted my time here and it attempting to catch up before I graduate... but I'm screwed for at least until I find a job and dedicate to it.

with a master degree you shouldn't fall for the sithub meme. no serious employer reject you for not having a shithub

very nice, what type of project?
A few years ago I did an absolute meme project and got 60 stars. Made me pretty proud tbqh although I'm not a software dev

I laughed really hard at this

>in Computer Science
>at least have half a fucking brain

Pick exactly one.

A new optimization algorithm that's way more efficient.

all the algorithms have already been done.

it's really hard to come up with something new

Use A* to play snake
Use meme-nets to play Tetris
Write your own RSA/AES implementation with proper padding and side channel attack mitigation.

Just do some random shit with machine learning.

What is this gay as fuck site?
>blog.robertelder.org/fifo-lifo-harmful-stacks-queues/

something in asm

Well that's where you're wrong.

Maybe in web development but remember the founder of grunt (I think it was grunt) couldn't get a job at Google.

Write your own compiler and operating system from scratch as to offer prayers and hymns unto the Lord.

homebrew.
He couldn't get a job at Google because he didn't know how to do technical interviews.

write something with a shitload of buzzwords. Make sure to include the terms big data, data science, big data analytics, AI, neural net, deep learning, VR, etc... The best possible thing would be a VR app that uses data science techniques and learns using a neural net. Good luck.