Brave Browser

New Brave version has just been released.
And it feels fast as fuck. This is browser much faster than Chrome or Firefox.

What kinds of things do you feel are missing from Brave that it still needs? Besides more extensions.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/brave/browser-laptop/pull/10458
youtu.be/X7Duzmb0Zvg
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/qwantcom-for-firefox/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

> browser is so shit it literally can't remember whether it was maximized when it was last closed.

What is there to shill????

PC or phone?

PC

I want a Windows user agent. I don't like the idea of send "Linux" in my user agent.
I don't care marketshare, if I enable fingerprinting protection I want a common user agent.

The Brave shills start at 11:00 am CST sharp now I guess

Reading the changes on github, they optimized and fixed a lot of shit. I might try it again.

>no ublock or umatrix
goodbye

If it had the customizability of Vivaldi it'd be my dream browser

Is it still as bug ridden on windows as it was last month?

it is much more stable and fast than the last time i tried it. still no extensions so not gonna use it

why is this even a problem still? how hard can it be to fix that?

simple. 1. a motherfucking Dark theme, 2. some proper addon support. i need my Sup Forums x

just use something modern like opera

Has a ways to go before it can replace Firefox the last time I installed it.

This. It needs theming and proper addon support then I can definitely see myself switching, or at least giving it a proper try.

This

This so hard

This

this

This.

which one of you faggots did this

Not OP but i heard you can change settings to allow addons from the chrome web store.

github.com/brave/browser-laptop/pull/10458
They did fix it

Kek

Third party fingerprinting is now blocked by default. This is easily the most secure browser out of the box, far more than Firefox.

how do I know this isn't another Sup Forums fiasco like duckduckgo?

how is duckduckgo a fiasco?

Really makes you think.

Ok I downloaded the browser because I'm curious now. But how are you going to get more people to use this besides shilling it on Sup Forums?

I mean what incentive is there to use this browser over Chrome? Which, take it or leave it, [Chrome] is still a superior, feature rich browser for the average person. One who only cares about it's convenience and ease of use.

Why should the average Joe care about Brave?

enough "Chrome is a resource hog" fear mongering aughta do it

I have no reason to use it over Firefox

Don't have to install extensions for ad-blocking
You think the average Joe won't like that?

There is no reason for an average joe to switch to it if they are already using Chrome
If they care about blocking ads they would have installed an extension by now.

Now that's awesome, perhaps they would. However, the average joe/jill, even somewhat tech literate users, don't even install adblock. They simply don't care enough, even as they watch a 30 second to 2-minute youtube ad. I'm on twitch, watching an intelligent software developer, he doesn't have adblock installed. Chrome and the Google tentacle is so useful to everyday use, it's killing off any potential competition. As we speak I'm using Chrome, I seriously love using maps. I don't like being tracked, but all these features are incredible, I can ask my phone to define something and it will.

Also phone use has eclipsed desktop use. How can Brave even compete? The browsers are tracking us, but they're still AMAZING browsers. I'm on your side dudes, this looks like a great project. I'm sure you don't care if normies use this browser, but if you don't get some degree of normie adoption to use one of these browsers. How long will the project last? You'll end up back on Chrome/Firefox because eh, "who cares about native adblock?"

>average joe
>managing multiple privacy extensions
based retard

this browser is essentially superior to chrome regardless, it just needs more development time

>Average Joe
>Caring that much about privacy

Do you even know the meaning of average joe?
The average joe installs an adblocker, not ghostery or noscript like the average Sup Forumstard.

average joe does not install adblocker, average joe installs a browser and nothing else. and this one include multiple privacy extensions built in with no configuration needed. theres literally no reason to use botnet chrome if youre an average joe and everyone wants to hate google right now so its perfect. and soon there will be no reason to use chrome if youre a Sup Forums tard.

You think the average joe even has heard of this shit?
They know three browsers. Chrome, Firefox and IE, they don't bother looking up anything else because they have no reason to.

Eh, it's just not for me. It's nice for phones, sure, but it's simply just not competitive when it comes to Desktop browsers. I'll rather use FF, (ungoogled) Chromium, qute, Icecat, etc.

of course they havent heard of it. thats the fucking point. what kinda dumb question is that?

Now thats an angle. Brave team need to convince people that using Chrome is harmful. Some type of education about sensitive data.

As far as phones go, Brave is just as effective as Chrome, but with native privacy tools.
It might not seem feasible now, but think of how long it took some people to finally switch from IE. I think it's possible people will eventually make the switch.

it's still a scam browser, constructed for a ad-based pyramid scheme

>it's still a scam browser, constructed for a ad-based pyramid scheme
Still spreading this bullshit?

the only reason to use brave on your android is because it can block javascript & block ads, which naked browser does much better + a whole heap of other things

40% of Firefox users don't use any extensions. Now imagine what that percentage is with Chrome users.

The adblocker doesn't completely block some ads.

>This browser that is based on chrome is much faster than Chrome
Fuck off, shill

so brave doesn't take a piece of the revue generated by those who watches ads?

Then enable more filters.

Takes 5% from the publishers iirc

>this is browser much faster
youtu.be/X7Duzmb0Zvg

Just how much faster than Chrome can it be if it's still using Chrome's Blink engine? Not to mention a UI built on javascript.
I suspect the only reason it's faster is because it removed most of the hooks for extensions.

so basically it's just a reskinned chrome, modified to leech a small procent of the profits generated by a large scale of users.... that's a pajeet-level-scam.

if brave where serious, they'd develop their own engine & browser and demand people to pay for it

I wouldn't have to do that if they put in ublock origin instead of the crappy adblock they put in.

you enable filters literally the same way you do in ublock origin ya brainlet

Kys Brave shill, I never had to do that in ublock origin. It already blocks all ads in websites that I use often, while brave's adblocker doesn't.

This.

Irrelevant when chromium browsers are shit when it comes to blocking malicious code and ads. uBlock needs an additional addon just to try to work around this. And if this worked 100% it wouldn't be on Chrome's addon page (owned by Google, the largest web based ad company which gets 90% of it's income from ads).

Because DDG is adware and it was shilled as a good privacy oriented search engine.

Chrome actually performs worse. In fact, Brave gets around 15-25% better performance on my computer, laptop and phone (I benchmark browsers every few months).

Ghostery is malicious itself so nobody on Sup Forums would use it. Noscript is inferior to uMatrix, again making your post stupid.

This. The only reason Chrome is popular is because Google search is popular, and Chrome gets bundled in some software. If Brave (or any other browser) had more reach they'd be popular too. I mean, lots of people even use Edge and IE. And majority of those users don't even know that you can have extensions, let alone adblocking extensions.

Enabling more filters is a bad idea. It's ABP (adblock plus). It's an extremely inefficient ad blocker, especially when compared to uBlock Origin which performs a lot better and blocks more stuff. I actually enabled all filters I had with uBO on Brave's default ABP addon (clean install) and it made the browser completely unresponsive. It took a minute just open, and lagged very often. ABP for blocking ads is clearly not the way to go, which is why Brave as a browser is very suspicious when it advertises itself as being privacy and security oriented (which it isn't). And it's also why Brave will lose significant performance when compared to other chromium browsers and firefox browsers which have access to uBO.

>because DDG is adware

how does it work as adware? I'm using it instead of google, are there better alternatives?

you're complaining because brave's adblock doesn't have a few extra filters enabled by default. are you that obesity ridden that two extra clicks leaves you breathless?

use qwant or startpage.

Qwant is adware.

This

how?

Developing your own engine is retarded. We already have 3, (Trident, WebKit/Blink, Gecko). Wasting resources to re-invent the wheel would be retarded.

It shows ads depending on what you search for, unlike Google which stores your information (accounts, web history, etc). It's not really intrusive (at least what they claim), but it's worrying to some people. I personally don't care and feel comfortable searching on DDG, Qwant and Searx. Searx is the best option if you want privacy.

Actually, only Qwant Light is adware afaik. But the normal Qwant is idiotic because it constantly switches countries for me unless I store history. Qwant isn't even allowed by law to spy on it's users due to European anti-profiling laws. So it's more promising than DuckDuckGo.

StartPage isn't as good as the alternatives.

this is what I've been waiting for
I wont switch until I can use ublock

thanks anons

Developing a new engine is actually what the web needs. too many jews online that's only interested in ad-revue. A new, privacy oriented browser that blocks ads by default and is completely independent from google is something worth paying for

either use the qwant extension to configure your country or the settings page to generate a adress to a pre-configured qwant page

Engines like this exist. But the problem will always be that they aren't feature rich or stable (due to lack of devs), and will break page compatibility. And nobody will push the majority of users in that direction especially if it means no more Facebook/eBay/Amazon/YouTube/Twitch/whatever. You need websites that provide alternative, yet still near-as-good content that won't try to implement google services/analytics, cryptominers or other shitware.
IceCat is based on Firefox but removes all proprietary and privacy infringing components and makes itself entirely libre. I know it's not a completely new engine, but it's a start and doesn't break sites.
But the problem aren't browsers, the problem is JavaScript. Almost as much as Flash used to be. (ironically, the main dev of Brave invented JavaScript). So it's actually the websites that are bloated. Abandoning the current web and moving to an alternative like GNUNet or ZeroNet is the only escape.

The Qwant extension was unavailable on Firefox back then, and I've moved to Searx on most devices anyway.

???????
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/qwantcom-for-firefox/

Low quality shilling guys, step up you're game

Learn to read. It was back when Firefox removed legacy compatibility. Qwant didn't update their addon then.

kikefox

Which of these additional filters should I turn on? It misses a few small ads here and there.

Is this ABP or uBlock?

This is Brave

ABP

Lose weight.

Not an argument.

It's a suggestion.

Kek, Brave doesn't help you lose weight. Waterfox does.

>Waterweightfox
nah

You can't block all ads on brave. See >It's ABP (adblock plus). It's an extremely inefficient ad blocker, especially when compared to uBlock Origin which performs a lot better and blocks more stuff.
>it's also why Brave will lose significant performance when compared to other chromium browsers and firefox browsers which have access to uBO.
See pic related. That's brave (android). Firefox Klar and Firefox with uBO pass the test.

fake and gay kys

Kys Brave shill. That was Panopticlick that user used.

wtf just happened to chrome 64? what is this shit?

Pretty much, yeah.

Finally my 1000 bookmarks don't take like 20 seconds to respond. They need to wok on their adblocker, I see ads on the bottom of Sup Forums.

I LOVE YOU YAN ZHU

theres a list of filters you can enable but im not sure which ones to enable

why is this SJW working for Eich?

The adblocker is absolute garbage. Qupzilla and Otter browser are maintained by one person and they both have way better adblockers. Hell Otter's is almost as good as ublock. Both browsers use the qt port of blink so they're just as fast as chrome is. Brave can't even block the ads on here. Pic related

this. also
>no neat url
>no decentraleyes
>no ubo-scope
>no privacy settings

she's very intelligent and capable user

vertical fucking tabs

Have they fixed the fucking broken tabs? Happens to me every single day. Can't open in new tab or create a new tab without opening a new window. Its not just me either because my gf has the same

are you retarded? you can use any extension from either the chrome or mozilla store in brave