/glmg/ - GNU/Linux Minimalism General

This is a general for discussing minimal software for GNU/Linux and helping you debloat your GNU/Linux system.

>What is software minimalism?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)

>Why software minimalism?
- Fewer bugs
- Better performance
- Lower memory footprint
- Better maintainability
- Higher scalability
- Longer software lifetime
- Prompt delivery
- Smaller attack surface

Acceptable GNU/Linux distributions that aren't bloat

>Alpine Linux (Not GNU)
alpinelinux.org

>Void Linux
voidlinux.eu

>GNU GuixSD
gnu.org/software/guix/

>Gentoo
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:Main_Page
gentoo.org/downloads/

>Debian (netinst)
debian.org/CD/netinst/
debian.org/releases/
wiki.debian.org/SourcesList
wiki.debian.org/ReduceDebian
debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-pkgtools.en.html#s-apt-get

>Useful links
suckless.org/rocks
harmful.cat-v.org/software/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_window_managers

Protip: If you aren't comfortable with using the terminal or if you aren't proficient with GNU/Linux, this thread isn't for you.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=j1I63wGcvU4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bump

Fuck off with your CIA nigger botnet. TempleCoin ICO soon. We're getting rid of x86 forever.

Old thread:

faggy OP here, thanks for making a new thread for me, but you forgot to add slackware and crux.

Shut the fuck up. Im the original creator
tfw i cant prove it cause im Anonymous
lul

/glmg/ - GNU/Linux Minimalism General

Is terry actually making a cryptocoin???????????

Terry A. Davis has done more with computers than all of the rest of cryptoniggers combined. If you can't see the potential in a TempleOS based blockchain, you are a gorilla nigger cattle retard. And He can create a fully-fledged decentralized space alien trading ledger based out of TempleOS, commisioned by God. TempleCoin is primed to take the its hold in the top 10 currencies of the year, based on credentials alone:

- Divinely ordained as King of Western Civilization
- Constantly talking to God
- Wrote a Divine Intellect Operating System and the HolyC programming language from scratch
- Architect of the digital Third Temple
- Ran down a CIA nigger with his car in 1999
- Is a genius level rocket engineer whose father designed nuclear missiles
- Was just released from the mental hospital after 6 weeks because he's """schizophrenic"""
- Only days after being released from jail for saying fuck the system and skipping court
- Literally has a space alien
- TempleOS is the framework for a space alien trading post
- Lives out of a fucking van and knows no boundaries
- Has started multiple companies in the past
- Trying to start his own company to make CPUs without CIA spyware
- TempleOS is the only Ring 0 based operating system currently available, and Ring 3 is for peasants
- Offers Poems and Hymns to the Lord on a daily basis
- Will eliminate x86 from the face of the Earth entirely
- Is not a virgin

Over 15 reasons, just off the top of my head. Terry hates cryptography so TempleCoin will be different. TempleOS is not connected to the internet. This will be a faith-based, RS232-compatible clearocurrency for the purpose of building and sustaining the holiness of the TempleOS platform. Instead of encryption, sign each token with the divine word of God. TempleCoin Wallets will be custom designed and printed according to God's blueprints and will not incorporate the x86 architecture anywhere, and available for presale from templeos.org shortly.

I'm trying to switch from my usual thunderbird to mutt for email. I got IMAP working just fine, but SMTP refuses to function regardless of what I put in muttrc. Is there a brainlet-friendly version, or maybe a guide intended for newbs?

If only you put this much effort into sorting your life out.

I will shill TempleCoin until it is a reality.

I've written a lot of CLI utilities in ruby. Should I rewrite in C? Is that more minimal?

Is there a way to do ubuntu in a minimal way? Since so much software is packaged for ubuntu, and I am starting to think ppa is a good thing. Right now I am on a debian net install with openbox. Lubuntu seems to come with a ton of crap I don't want.

Install the server edition.

alpine

So, what're some good beginner/novice friendly introductory wm for plebs like to me get my feet wet? Preferably if it's quick and easy to pick up, learn, configure, tweak, rice and all that other good stuff, too... Oh, yeah, rather that it/they have a quick learning curve and easy to adapt and get used to it in hopefully almost no time

This vid
youtube.com/watch?v=j1I63wGcvU4

Fake news

Nope! I tried to configure it. Like with mutt, I was able to get IMAP, but as for sending email:
>SMTP greeting failure: 421 SMTP connection broken

I guess i'll be sticking with bloated Thunderbird then...

or maybe it just doesn't work with comcast email??
All I know is that with the usual gooey clients, I just give it the email address, the password, and it figures the rest of this shit out for me.

Is there actually more than one Wayland WM now or do I still have to use sway?

So far I think it's just Sway, but Sway has hat wlroots thing that should allow for other projects to more easily make their own compositors.

Support netrunner, support the only true minimalist browser.

How about no, nigger

Does that even have js working (as bloat as it is, you can't do anything on the web these days without it. Even shitpost!)

surf is a pretty weird browser

Seems like that comes with a bunch of database stuff by default. I don't think just not having a x window system is enough to make it minimal.

You can get the rest of the information you need from your email provider. Just think of it like copy/pasting, because THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT IT IS.

sway is such a fucking meme
stop talking about it