What is the cheapest singleboard/mini pc which can run ps2/gamecube/dreamcast games?

What is the cheapest singleboard/mini pc which can run ps2/gamecube/dreamcast games?

Other urls found in this thread:

gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_1432177.html
compulab.com/products/sbcs/sbc-ipc/
kickstarter.com/projects/802007522/up-core-the-smallest-quadcore-x86-single-board-com
youtube.com/watch?v=KnkMc3aj0JY
store.nvidia.com/store?Action=DisplayPage&Locale=en_US&SiteID=nvidia&id=QuickBuyCartPage
nvidia.com/object/jetson-tk1-embedded-dev-kit.html
eizorugged.com/products/vpx/condor-gr3-3u-vpx-swap-nvidia-cuda-gpgpu-solution/gr3-x7/index.html
youtube.com/watch?v=tYteyqOXxi8
youtube.com/watch?v=EiP5aGe5bTU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>gamecube
>sbc
no

probably some mITX board?

Where's the CPU on that board?

The raspberry pi 3.

Agreed. The video acceleration on SBC is more aimed at accelerating video decoding, not 3D graphics. They are going to struggle even with mid 2000's 3D.

How about mini pc's which are just a bit larger than sbc.

Then just get mITX parts like said and you're done

on the other side

>PS2/gamecube

An expensive nuc with an i7

what is this beautiful piece of TECH?

mitx is too large compared to mini pc's desu

gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_1432177.html

compulab.com/products/sbcs/sbc-ipc/

this, maybe an amd apu would suffice

lol, it can barely run PS1 games, the Pi 3 is similar to a Pentium 4 2Ghz or Pentium 3 1.4Ghz

Nuc

>ddr2
I died a little

>ps2

ps2 emulation sucks no matter what machine you get, just get an actual hacked ps2

I can emulate with dolphin on android..

Too large, I want something hand sized which you can easily carry with you like raspberry.

Just get a gaymen notebook then?
If you don't want to a screen just break it off.

Your best bet is to just get an mitx mobo, use integrated graphics, get an sfx power supply, and stick it an absolutely tiny case.

kickstarter.com/projects/802007522/up-core-the-smallest-quadcore-x86-single-board-com

What about these sbc x86 platforms? This UP core looks promising at 89$

youtube.com/watch?v=KnkMc3aj0JY

This is like 70 dollars and can run at least dreamcast emulator. It has Intel Atom X5-Z8350 2GB RAM and intel hd graphics 400

>Atom
>Intel HD 400
I don't think this will run any PS2-era emulators well.

You're going to need SLI 1080TIs in order to run a PS2 emulator without tanking somewhere.

Final Fantasy XII is the ultimate benchmark. Only the best gaming PCs can handle Basch using Flame Purge.

GPD WIN2

No other choices

>sfx case
there are pico-psus for what he needs, you numbskull. why do you recommend stupid shit?

This thing sucks ass

Run them? Raspberry Pi or Odriod XU4.

Run them well?
Most recent version of the Intel nuc (the skull one).

Now days ps2 emulators are much better than they used to be. I could max out most of the games on 1080p with gtx 750

PS2 doesn't need that much. PCSX2 recommendations for example are just:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.2 GHz or better OR i3/i5/i7 @ 2,8 GHz or better OR AMD Phenom II @ 3,2 GHz or better
GPU: 8800gt or better (for Direct3D10 support)
RAM: 1GB on Linux/Windows XP, 2GB or more on Vista / Windows 7

Emulators are about to go through a MAJOR change. Emulators have a problem with efficiency. Sure, older systems can be emulated with ease on any PC, but the PS3 and Xbox 360 emulators still can't do a solid 60FPS. What will cause this change? Vulkan.

Vulkan is a low-level API. Consoles use low-level APIs. Surprise, surprise! When you give something that benefits from low-level APIs a low-level API, it suddenly runs much more efficiently!

Vulkans been out for a while and even before then people had info on GLNext and Mantle and they aint migrated yet.

Nvidia Shield.

>jet-engine.ogg

what did he mean by this?

You are such a special kind of stupid I'm not even sure where to begin

Really depends on the game

store.nvidia.com/store?Action=DisplayPage&Locale=en_US&SiteID=nvidia&id=QuickBuyCartPage

I'm a dumbass that can't internet
nvidia.com/object/jetson-tk1-embedded-dev-kit.html

The average modern router could probably pull it off.
You'd just need some kind of display output.

>tfw no Ryzen 2500U mini pc

Lattepanda

The 2200G is probably going to be THE HTPC APU if it stays at $99, and while the Vega 8/RX 550 should be more than enough for normal Dolphin usage (no more than 1080p internal res and no MSAA), I dunno if it'll be the same deal with PCSX2, I guess that's assuming current Ryzen 3 CPU's are alright for it now. The bottom line is that when you his PS2 emulation territory, cheaping-out means sacrificing a lot of the features that make emulation worthwhile in the first place

eizorugged.com/products/vpx/condor-gr3-3u-vpx-swap-nvidia-cuda-gpgpu-solution/gr3-x7/index.html

Maybe try being more specific.
3U boards are definitely tiny, single-board, and powerful enough to run nearly any emulator.

You bloody what!
no you don't a single 1050 Should be plenty and well as 4 gb ram we are talking consoles here not redering 8k so a 1080ti ia kinda stupid
even with a 1070 your'll clocking over 200fps if its a well configured emulator

your going to to need a epic gaming monitor for the fps you could pull off.
the problem being the newer cards over render the old consoles,

try running jak and daxter in software mode on those specs.

deskmini + 7700k

This

Are you retarded? Things like the old GTX 7xx series are more than enough for reasonable PS2. Outta here with that gayman bullshit

don't get a mini itx theres a form factor called stx its even smaller they aren't commonly made but I found one on amazon the one I got works with kabylake although I had to get a skylake CPU just to update the bios which I returned to amazon after. I think the board is by Asus

There are good sbc's also which aren't overly expensive and can run ps2 emulators well. Even x86 sbc's are becoming a thing now.

>ps2
even i7-8700k can't do that properly

there is no computer smaller than around 6 cubic inches that will be capable of running gamecube at any reasonable speed and settings - the power supply alone will be as big as you want the entire package to be.

yea with shit framerate

i can probably run Crysis on a pentium 4 with a GT6600 but I'm not desperate or stupid enough to try to do so because I know it would be an awful fucking experience

"being technically capable of operating" and "running" are two different things - it's not running if it's crawling around on the ground like a paraplegic toddler while struggling to breathe.

Yes it can, this is not year 2008.

UpBoard Squared (Pentium N4200, 4GB RAM model, 230$)
You need 4GB for performance. The processor is what you'd find on budget laptops, so it's x86 and not ARM. But it works fine for GC (58-60fps with some fps drops). DC will work on anything, really. PSP is a hit or miss, and I'm pretty sure it can't handle PS2. Also, any game that's locked to 30fps, or is 2D, will run fine under DC and PSP emulators.
Avoid anything with Atom processors.
If you want PS2 emulation, then GPD WIN 2 seems to be the only compact option, it's currently 650$ (excluding taxes). It should also handle DC, but I haven't seen any tests with it.

U wot? GPD WIN 2 which uses a tiny processor can run PS2 at 60fps on most games. I doubt a full desktop CPU wouldn't be able to do so.

>Yes it can, this is not year 2008.
>U wot? GPD WIN 2 which uses a tiny processor can run PS2 at 60fps on most games. I doubt a full desktop CPU wouldn't be able to do so.

LOL. Think again.

Pi 3 maybe faster than Pentium 3 or 4 with 1 - 2 GHz speed range, it has 4 cores after all :O

when is this avaialable

99% of games runs well on pcsx2 there are some exceptions.

Ok. I could show many other games as well. MGS3, shadow of the colossus, etc..

>inb4 why would you want to play good games user, this isnt 2008!

oh ya ratchet and clank. You know just the main ps2 exclusives people want to play.

>i7 8700k uses 21x more power than m3-7Y30
>i7 only performs 4.5x better on benchmarks
>i7 gets less than 50fps on PS2 games while m3 gets 60fps, sources:
>youtube.com/watch?v=tYteyqOXxi8
>youtube.com/watch?v=EiP5aGe5bTU

Jesus fuck, that's disgusting. It's most likely because OpenGL is garbage, or your shitty distro has poor drivers or performance in general. Or, PCSX2 isn't optimized well at all for Linux/Arch. I seriously doubt the game is 5 times more demanding than God of War 2 and Shadow of Colossus (which you also claim you can't run well). So either wait for Vulkan support on PCSX2 or don't use it on Linux at all.

>shitty distro

arch is state of the art.

oh yeah. Those are all using shitty hardware mode that people like to not mention. You will encounter numerous graphical glitches that they will also fail to mention in their 30 second youtube clips of the opening levels of each game. Try Jak and daxter in hardware mode and see what happens.

>compulab.com/products/sbcs/sbc-ipc/

Seems neat. How much? I dont want to email them...

>ps2
ps2 emulation is still godawful even on a real pc.
all the good games only run in software rendering mode and/or with horrible graphical issues, and gl running anything that is only supported in software rendering at full speed without a good i7

as good as pcsx2 has gotten compared to how it used to be it still has a long ways to go.
come back in another 5-10 years

Runs fine and I have 2500k

what game? software or hardware? what os?

Mgs3, win 7

software or hardware?

>complaining about the quality of emulation
Emulation is always garbage. The only benefits it has are save states and speed hacks. The point is it works, and doesn't appear to have major issues or even minor ones from what I've seen. The only way to ensure your game runs fine is on original hardware, so either butcher a PS2 and integrate it into your current motherboard, or make a portable solution like GmanModz did.

pcsx2 1.4.0

how does that answer my question?

gonna piggyback, but what is everyone using to run kodi? firesticks still? Is there a new chink arm box?

Ironic that you say that, I have a Pentium 4 PC with a GT6600 in it. It ran Crysis last time I've tried it. 640x480@70-80fps, which is ok on a CRT.

raspberry pi 3 and retropie

PCSX2 sucks dicks when on AMD OpenGL because the devs outright said that most donators use OpenGL on Nvidia cards. It's alright in DX11, but I assume someone who wants a retro console would want to make a fully custom system with a nice retropie-style UI.

You can run nicely almost all ps2 games now days at 720p with decent and cheap hardware.

I would recommend one of the Intel NUCs, they're tiny as fuck and pack chips with Iris graphic cards, which are more than sufficient for PCSX2/Dolphin. They're fucking pricey though, there may be laptops with decent specs for less and they're complete systems with I/O, unlike the NUCs. Also you better fucking repaste those fuckers, Intel spares every expense.

why not get a deskmini which is the same thing except with a real desktop processor and support for aftermarket cooler?

NUCs use desktop CPUs aswell and are smaller. But yeah, if Deskmini make B450 variant for 2200G, it would be perfect for home console.

Not particularly relevant to PS2 emulation, but what displays does this thing support? HDMI is a given, but what if I want to leave the slot free for external displays?

I'm asking since it seems like Pi and a lot of single board computers lock you in to very crappy screens available in their stores, so you can't just take any random DSI screen and call it a day - and it's even worse with touchscreens.