How did you prepare for Y2K?

How did you prepare for Y2K?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CkEZFaCE6Qc
youtube.com/watch?v=A2GN_jM1DuI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

wasn't born yet

I didn't really care at the time, but my mom went nuclear and made about 3 dozen floppy disk backups of everything. About 2 with actual documents and the rest with shitty shareware games.

Nothing because I knew it wouldn't happen

Partied like it was 1999.

>dad's job since the early 1990s was mostly fixing Y2k bugs in ancient COBOL shit
The reason nothing happened is because people worked for years on bugfixes

You ever use the internet? There's some cool stuff on that there internet

what's a Y2K ?

;⨇)

I excited waited for the end of the world, but I already figured out that it was a scam to sell new tech and survival gear.

I was pleasantly disappointed.

Did a lot of drugs, had a huge fucking party, got laid a bunch.

Nostalgia hitting hard.... I miss catching viruses and downloading nudes and MP3s

>the golden age is gone and never coming back

I loved that fucking sweeping progress bar. Man. I miss the old internet, back when idiots were few and far between because of the learning curve for getting online.

Forget Y2K, try Y10K

youtube.com/watch?v=CkEZFaCE6Qc

I'll worry about that in 8008 years

If youre old enough to remember Y2K, you're probably too old for Sup Forums... I thought I was talking to people around 20 years old, not dads.

>that music

By being poorfag who couldn't afford a computer.

Nigga, most of the people here were not even born yet.

what happen in 2099??

Shitting my diapers, crying and drinking milk

kys

Underage b-

>People who were born in 2000 can now legally post on Sup Forums

GOD DAMMIT

>mfw this is probably true
>mfw I am one of the oldest people present here
>mfw I am wasting my life with these youngins who don't know shit about tech either

Nothing. The problem has been solved for the next 8,000 years by the Y2K changes to all technology. Come back on 31 Dec 9999.

From late 1997 through mid-2000 tested and resolved for Y2K problems throughout the U.S. government, especially the Postal Service and Dept of Defense. There were about 250 of us at our local technology center, which was one of about a dozen such centers around the U.S.

You're welcome. My team alone (about 20) resolved over 5 million bugs and code patches. The entire 7th Fleet didn't blue screen because of us.

It's amazing when I run across threads like this and you getthe typical Sup Forumstard all "Hurrrdurr they waz all boondoggles and gibs me dur gubmints monies and sheeit."

Hundreds of thousands of professionals crawled through nearly every line of code and piece of obsolete hardware in every major country of the world for nearly a decade. That's why Y2K didn't explode the world. Tens of millions of man-hours solved and prevented the meltdown, not Magic Sky-Dude Magical Rainbow-Farting Pony Fantasy Thinking. It was some massive heavy lifting by every major government of the world. It should be listed in the history books as one of the Wonders of the Modern World.

> And the planes didn't fall out of the sky, nor did the satellites
> therefore it was bunch of pot-smoking faggot hippies making shit up.

There are people walking around today, retarded and stupid beyond comprehension, who actually believe that shit.

>parents had 2 weeks food and 3 gallons of water set aside for 4 of us

That's all that happened. Thinking back they probably should have set aside more water if they thought the world was going to end.

I didn't, because I could pretty much tell it was gonna be a big nothing. Figured my Win98 might bluescreen and need a reboot, but that was basically a daily occurrence anyway. I didn't have a lot other than "sort by date" that depended much on timestamps, and having pre 2K files drift to the wrong end of directory listings wouldn't be anything more than a minor annoyance.

I was like 14. I couldn't care less. Didn't get into computers until around 17.

again
I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be on a plane or anything when it rolled over, and knew it was probably a bad idea to complete a purchase right at midnight, but I knew whatever havoc it caused in commercial systems would probably get cleaned up pretty quickly.

If I were in the industry I would have been making bank off gullible idiots. But since I was 13, I was just busy telling my grandparents that it was just a scam.

I hated it because it never gave you any indication of how much had been loaded. Neither do modern progress bars, not really, but they give the illusion.

By playing Total Annihilation

You never leave

We never left

My mum bought a generator and a couple jerry cans of petrol, that's about it.

She kinda worked in IT, she managed adoption of technology that replaced older methods, so she knew a fair few people who knew their stuff, and they all said nothing was likely to happen.

I waited until just after midnight, then restarted our computer just to make sure it was all good.

>tfw thinking of the yellowy-orange "IT IS NOW SAFE TO TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER" message

You did? Well that's silly. Sup Forums hasn't been relevant since like 2008. What, you thought these were all NEW users? No, these are just the people who never left.

>I thought I was talking to people around 20 years old, not dads.
Young man, I'll have you know that I am not a dad!

>I'm sterile

where are the proofs though nigger

>The entire 7th Fleet didn't blue screen because of us.
Oh so you're a war profiteer? Even worse a japano-carpet bagger!

The South shall rise again, and ally itself with the Neo-Japanese Empire, mark my words!

Son, when I was your age, television was called "books"

Thank you user.

yeah tell us that story one more time where you used the block sized first computer for 5 mins and what a great honor it was

Dressed up for the new years party and brought condoms. Tried twice to get laid. Failed.

Then a few hours later a few of us crashed on the floor. After we all passed out, my gay friend rolled over onto the cute girl laying between us. She rolled over to get out of the way... onto me.

Next thing we knew, we were making out. Great girl with strawberry blonde hair and freckles. Kind of a hippie who hanged out with us RPG nerds and goths. We were together for nearly a year. Incredible girl, but no self esteem and did whatever her loser friends told her. I'm still glad I was with her.

>Wherever you are, thanks Billy.

Yeah if there hadn't been people freaking out, there would have been a reason to freak out.

Ahh, sweet summer child.

We bought it to help with your homework.

didn't care, I was more concerned preparing for job interviews with IT companies as a fresh grad desu.

>How did you prepare for Y2K?
only people in America were sweeped up with the hysteria cause you guys are brainwashed sheep.
Whereas here I was like 8 years old and I remember everyone was celebrating.

>Yeah if there hadn't been people freaking out, there would have been a reason to freak out.
>youtube.com/watch?v=A2GN_jM1DuI

I’m pretty sure I was beating off to make a cum firework at midnight

>downloading nudes
>Waiting 10mins for a single pic
nudes have never felt as great since

I turned my system clock to the year 2000 to check that nothing would happen, then ignored the hype.

>learning curve for getting online.
I must have been 10 or less when i was looking up "dbz xxx" on dial-up

>that pic
in the late of saturday behind the walmart two obese 50 year old men sucked eachother off through the night

I find it funny that Y2K was even a problem to begin with. You tech guys were stupid enough to not think about that when creating shit?

I was 3

Spent New Year's eve in a major Navy METOC center checking that everything kept working. Fixed a couple of overlooked issues; real-time data was critical for everybody (not just USN - we had worldwide users)

Why was it such a big deal ?
The worst thing that can happen is that all your files are in the future right?

>56k
>golden age

Not even close.

first computers were really low on resources so they had to cut bits everywhere to get most of them - including timestamps

then they never really bothered to revise them and continued to use the same format for the sake of backwards compatibility until it finally blew up

>how did you prepare?

Was part of the IRC that started the Y2K scare

>reaction video

How come nobody seem to have mentioned the legions of engineers fixing shit? My best guess is that sensationalism sells.

>They 'came' to Sup Forums for something specific

You can always just hang yourself too.

>The worst thing that can happen is that all your files are in the future right?
Or that your programs think it is 1970 and start doing weird things because they have functions for how to act past certain dates.

it's like people don't understand that it's possible to test for y2k bugs before the fact, y'know, by just inputting >1999 dates or setting RTC's to >1999 dates

>write program in the 80's
>don't even consider the code would still be in use 20 years from now
>store year as 2 digits
people were really used to dates beginning with "19" by that point (as in, dates were 19XX for most people's entire lives), and it was easy to accidentally assume them
the year 2000 seemed so far away

uh?

>use the same format for the sake of backwards compatibility until it finally blew up
lazy shits deserve what they got. Sadly it wasn't the lazy shits that had to pick up the slack. sorry.
Wow they thought so little about computers they didn't imagine they would be useful in the future.

whats y2k?

Why would 10 year olds not remember Y2K

Did anyone who knew anything about anything actually think anything would happen on Y2K?

I really enjoy bathing in larper blood

it's a bike that uses jet engine

>ITT: Kids react
>to shit they don't understand.