So what actually runs with lower requirements

Desktop Windows vs Desktop Linux?
GUI is mandatory for the comparison to be realistic so forget about non-GUI Linux.

1994 computer
486, 66MHz, 32MB
No Linux will work
Use Win 95 or Win 98

1996 computer
Pentium-1, 120MHz, 64MB
No Linux works
Use Win 95 or Win 98

1998 computer
Pentium-2, 233MHz, 128MB
No Linux works
Use Win 98, Win 2000

2000 computer
Pentium-3, 450MHz, 256MB
No Linux works
Use Win 98, Win 2000, Win XP

2002 computer
Pentium-4, 1400MHz, 512MB
Some Linuxes will work but Windows works better

Other urls found in this thread:

cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/archive/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

> 1994 computer
> 486, 66MHz, 32MB
> No Linux will work
No modern Linux will work, since i386 is removed.
> 1998 computer
> Pentium-2, 233MHz, 128MB
BULL FUCKING SHIT! I ran Debian 6 on that, even 7 should work.

You can't even purchase a pre windows 7 anymore. Pretty sure any linux distro with memewm can run on all of those

>1994 computer
>486, 66MHz, 32MB
>No Linux will work
My first Linux ran on my 486DX4 100 MHz with 16 MB RAM. The entire distro fit on a single 3.5" floppy disk.

>Pentium-3, 450MHz, 256MB
I ran Gentoo on a very similar system in the early 2000s, except with 512 MB RAM instead of 256MB.

Can you still install those same Linux distros?
With Windows it is easy, just grab a CD

> just grab a CD
Where?

There is extensive preserved collection of Windows CD images in many places

But has anyone preserved the 90s Linux?

i had win 8.1 install that used 500mb ram on startup... pretty good if you ask me

> in many places
I don't think many places are legal. Meanwhile,
cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/archive/

if you want to use the internet, anything pentium-4 or higher

if you don't give a fuck, i've ran skype 3 years ago on a 486 thinkpad under windows 95

you just gotta wait 5 mins for the text to appear :^)

Stop lying OP. Linux will work on that P2 and probably even that P1. A modern GNU/Linux distro will probably not support that 468 so that's the only system you're out of luck with.

Also your GUI can be anything you want on GNU/Linux. Install Fluxbox on that Pentium and it flies.

why does slackware need this much memory
it runs with lxde now

One third of your RAM is wasted on some meme browser that values tracking and nu-GUIs over performance, fa.m

any idea which browser is responsible?
I installed many of them

I mean that akonadi shit, it started after trying several web browsers. Firefox alone doesnt start that akonadi, at least I think so.

If I reboot the computer, akonadi will be gone until invoked again by some software which I havent identified yet. But Im pretty sure a web browser is responsible. I installed 11 different web browsers to try all of them and to find out which ones are fast enough in an old computer.

>any idea which browser is responsible?
Do you mean "What browser is responsible for my excessive memory usage?" because that would be firefox.

Chrome eats even more, check this out

>MySQL
>Akonadi

Slackware taking too much ram? it's pretty much the same for all distros, lets see:

You got a browser open. And it's not one that only renders shitty html1-4, it renders the latest of everything :O, fancy, so expect it to use even more ram than lxde it self.
Also akonadi? did you install kde as well? I believe the mysqld process only exists because of akonadi (it uses a mysql database?) and that's taking around the same ram as lxde it self.

That's too bad! Since Firememer and chromenet are the only browsers in existence[1] you are completely screwed and convicted to installing lots of expensive RAM.

[1] this is actually satire

my riva tnt2, celeron 700mhz, 192MB SDRAM PC ran ubuntu 8.10 fine, pclinuxos from that era worked fine too, so did mandriva.
Notice that it was a piece of shit even when i bought it, and was 8 years old at the time.

If I reboot the computer and start only LXDE and dont start up any KDE applications, the memory usage will be 128MB. The hell breaks loose after starting up some applications dependant on KDE (maybe) but I dont know for sure.

>The entire distro fit on a single 3.5" floppy
no it didn’t, slackware 1.0 needs two disks for the installer, 4 disks for base, a few for X. iirc total distro was about 24 floppies. the only shit that would fit on a single floppy was the QNX demo disk. kys newfag shithead

also QNX is not a Linux