FACT #1 Sup Forums will never and cannot come to a majority consensus about what the best Linux distro is

>FACT #1 Sup Forums will never and cannot come to a majority consensus about what the best Linux distro is.
>FACT #2 Most of Sup Forums doesn't even run Linux on their primary PC.
>FACT #3 Sup Forums will not admit that Linux is objectively less responsive than Windows and instead tells people to not use compositing window managers and switch to tiling window managers in order to hide the Linux lag.
>FACT #4 Sup Forums is addicted to distro hopping and will never stay with one distro because they know deep down that every distro has something they don't like.
>FACT #5 Sup Forums has a secret obsession with making Linux distros act more like MacOS despite their hatred for MacOS
>FACT #6 Sup Forums will tell you that Common Sense 2018 for Windows is 100% secure while also telling you that there is no way to make Windows secure and that you must install Linux to be secure.
>FACT #7 If you ask Sup Forums about what the best Linux distro is, they will spend more time telling you which distros are shit because deep down, they know that Linux distros are shit and not a single distro can compete with Windows and MacOS.
>FACT #8 Most of the used Thinkpads that Sup Forums buys now run a version of Windows after frustration with Linux.
>FACT #9 Reason most often cited by Sup Forums as the reason they won't install Linux on their primary PC? Games.
>FACT #10 Sup Forums knows deep down that the only way Linux can compete with MacOS and Windows is when Google finally makes a Linux-based desktop OS, and nearly every Sup Forums Linux user will dump their shitty Linux distro for Google's Linux-based desktop OS thus embracing the botnet, while the rest of them will become hipsters and use meme distros and FreeBSD.

What other facts about Linux and Sup Forums can you add to the list?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/KZGv6PcY_-Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>macOS
stopped reading

>>FACT #1 Sup Forums will never and cannot come to a majority consensus about what the best Linux distro is.
Fedora is the best, no contest.
>>FACT #2 Most of Sup Forums doesn't even run Linux on their primary PC.
Stop projecting botnetcuck.
>>FACT #3 Sup Forums will not admit that Linux is objectively less responsive than Windows and instead tells people to not use compositing window managers and switch to tiling window managers in order to hide the Linux lag.
Windows runs better as a VM under linux than baremetal.
>>FACT #4 Sup Forums is addicted to distro hopping and will never stay with one distro because they know deep down that every distro has something they don't like.
Fedora is best, see previous answer.
>>FACT #5 Sup Forums has a secret obsession with making Linux distros act more like MacOS despite their hatred for MacOS
Not everyone is fruity like you.
>>FACT #6 Sup Forums will tell you that Common Sense 2018 for Windows is 100% secure while also telling you that there is no way to make Windows secure and that you must install Linux to be secure.
Windows has fake privacy toggles that don't do shit, think about that. Unironically toy toggles.
>>FACT #7 If you ask Sup Forums about what the best Linux distro is, they will spend more time telling you which distros are shit because deep down, they know that Linux distros are shit and not a single distro can compete with Windows and MacOS.
Fedora is best
>>FACT #8 Most of the used Thinkpads that Sup Forums buys now run a version of Windows after frustration with Linux.
Running Fedora on a Thinkpad, umad?
>>FACT #9 Games.
Gaymes. Grow up.
>>FACT #10 Sup Forums knows deep down that the only way Linux can compete with MacOS and Windows is when Google finally makes a Linux-based desktop OS
Botnet cuck, might as well put a barcode on your forehead and place yourself on a google shelf.

such denial

I'm not even a linuxfag lmao.

>Fedora is the best

nobody on Sup Forums agrees with you

>I'm not even a linuxfag lmao.

I know. Just like most of Sup Forums

>Can't think and prefer things for everyone
>I run Slackware on my primary PC
>If by "Universally" you mean piss easy with no customization options, then, yes, Linux is less "universally responsive"
>Stay with Slackware and use other distros if i need some other sort of functionality or options but was never a distrohopper.
>Literally no in any way other than Hackintosh guys
>No antivirus can protect you from your own stupidity, just like Tors greatest weakness was always human error
>Best distro is the one that suits your needs the most. End of story
>Manchildren play games and they can be easily "emulated" on linux.
>Don't even know how to respond to the last one because it is so far fetched

>Fedora is the best

>> nobody on Sup Forums agrees with you

I agree that fedora is bset

>>FACT #7

gr8 b8

I agree with him, fedora is the best.

Linux is a kernel

Yeah, fedora is hands down the best distro. Try again

samefags

>>FACT #1 Sup Forums will never and cannot come to a majority consensus about what the best Linux distro is.
One, that works.
Not true.
>>FACT #3 Sup Forums will not admit that Linux is objectively less responsive than Windows and instead tells people to not use compositing window managers and switch to tiling window managers in order to hide the Linux lag.
It is feature of shtty drivers and xorg and windows composer, it is not a problem of kernel.
>>FACT #4 Sup Forums is addicted to distro hopping and will never stay with one distro because they know deep down that every distro has something they don't like.
I didn't get it.
>>FACT #5 Sup Forums has a secret obsession with making Linux distros act more like MacOS despite their hatred for MacOS
No. As Mac user I say it.
>>FACT #6 Sup Forums will tell you that Common Sense 2018 for Windows is 100% secure while also telling you that there is no way to make Windows secure and that you must install Linux to be secure.
Yes.
>>FACT #7 If you ask Sup Forums about what the best Linux distro is, they will spend more time telling you which distros are shit because deep down, they know that Linux distros are shit and not a single distro can compete with Windows and MacOS.
Wut?
>>FACT #8 Most of the used Thinkpads that Sup Forums buys now run a version of Windows after frustration with Linux.
Wut?
>>FACT #9 Reason most often cited by Sup Forums as the reason they won't install Linux on their primary PC? Games.
Yes.
>>FACT #10 Sup Forums knows deep down that the only way Linux can compete with MacOS and Windows is when Google finally makes a Linux-based desktop OS, and nearly every Sup Forums Linux user will dump their shitty Linux distro for Google's Linux-based desktop OS thus embracing the botnet, while the rest of them will become hipsters and use meme distros and FreeBSD.
?

You missed the most important
>FACT #11 I can't prove any of the previous "FACTS"

This is either the most retarded post I've seen in weeks or the best bait I've seen in days.

>FACT #1: Sup Forums CAN'T ever come to a majority consensus on what the best Linux distro is because, and I know this is a crazy concept, NO Linux distro can be the overall best because they're all good at different things. Want bleeding edge programs for development/curiosity reasons? Rolling release distro. Need a stable machine that you don't have time to piss around with? A normally scheduled update distro like Debian.
>FACT #2: Citation needed.
>FACT #3: Citation needed. Here's a little vid to disprove that though: youtu.be/KZGv6PcY_-Q
>FACT #4: Eh yea that's true. At least we're not addicted to gaymes and learning about operating systems in the meantime.
>FACT #5: What the actual fuck? Daily threads constantly bashing GNOME, one of the most Mac-like DEs, and you still think this? Explain yourself.
>FACT #6: Citation needed. I'll post this link once again to disprove this: youtu.be/KZGv6PcY_-Q
>FACT #7: Because narrowing down the worst isn't an effective way of narrowing down the best.... k.
>FACT #8: C-citation needed? Wtf
>FACT #9: Just...ju- wtf. Go back to Sup Forums, you must have just arrived here.
>FACT #10: Holy shit 15 year olds need to leave this board right now. Chrome OS and Android retard.... Chrome OS and Android.....

>There is no 1 best linux distro.
>I run linux on my only pc for 5 years now.
>It is not less responsive.
>I only hopped away from ubuntu, when unity died.
>OSX is shit.
>Don't know what you are talking about here.
>You are wrong here.
>My friend uses thinkpad with linux on it and I have never heard him bitching about it.
>Get a life and stop playing games!
Kys!

Who is that!?

>when Google finally makes a Linux-based desktop OS
Is there a particular reason this hasn't happened yet? What's the problem?

>Chrome os?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

That's not a real OS though, it's a wrapper for the Chrome browser. I'm talking about something comparable to Android, but with more Windows-like app freedom. (Also normal x86 hardware that can dual-boot Windows without hacks.)

It really is. I use Gentoo though because it's fun.

>Fact #11 - Most of Sup Forums actually know very little about computers but like to fantasize and treat newbies bad to feed their illusions and deny reality

>Google will make a "real" OS alongside Chrome OS

Why not?

>FACT #1
Choice is good, the reason there are so many distros in the first place is a belief that there is no one-size-fits-all for software.

>FACT #2
I don't know about Sup Forums, but my primary PC is at work and I definitively use that.

>FACT #3
If you're using Linux because you want something that looks pretty, you're using the wrong OS.

>FACT #4
Nobody distro hops, only complete beginners.

>FACT #5
Why would I want to make Linux look like macOS? I use Xfce because it's the least buggy DE. I also run actual macOS on my laptop.

>FACT #6
No opinion regarding anti virus, I haven't used Windows in 15 years.

>FACT #7
Use whatever you want. Why do you need Sup Forums's approval anyway? Are you really that insecure?

>FACT #8
No opinion.

>FACT #9
That's probably true.

>FACT #10
How can there be competition when Linux is the only plattform supported for all mission critical software I use?

>my primary PC is at work

lol

>work in front of a computer all day
>get home only to spend some more time in front of your computer

Fedora is the best distro, because redhat owns the linux ecosystem. Anything that goes against redhat's desires will have a hard time keeping up because of the changes dictacted by them.

The only thing here that's true is fact 1. But could it be that Sup Forums is not a single person and that the different people on this website have different tastes, needs, and preferences?

>fact #1
wrong, best distro is my distro
ecorp.ignorelist.com

Didn't google plan to ""merge"" android and chrome os projects?

>“The only way to fix Linux is to take one distro, one set of components as a baseline, abandon everything else and everyone should just contribute to this single Linux. Whether this is Canonical's Ubuntu , or Red Hat's Fedora or Debian's system or a new joint effort is something that intelligent people will disagree until the end of the days.”
t. ex-GNOME dev

good and functional desktop linux never ever

Sour grapes.

>everyone should just contribute to this single Linux
Enjoy inhouse fights of huge egos and the high chance on being slow at development. If you have worked with neckbeards you should know what kind of shit can be this and this won't even make the code better without good management. You talk about humans, not servers with redundancy .

1. Best is the one you use. All other recommendations are meme.
2. 5 years without windows on any computer. And back then I used windows just because university.
3. Tiling window managers are comfy if you find VIM bindings comfy and don't like or need to use mouse. Other responses are meme.
>An OS which hardly needs reboots and are used by most servers, all top 500 supercomputers is less responsive than gayming OS
A bit exaggerated, because linux is just a kernel and there are tons of distributions, not a single OS. But you get the idea.
4. I admit that I've changed a couple of distributions recently, because my favourite DE fucked up (GNOME). Now, I found one I'll stick to indefinitely.
I hope you have a choice if MS decides to fuck up windows, like with ads in start menu. :^)
5. My linux distro looks like GNOME shell (I use KDE) because full screen menu is comfy. Does macOS has something like this?
6. It is enough to some people, not to tech illiterates.
7. The one which is comfy for you. Other answers are meme.
8. I don't own a thinkpad, but this sounds redundant.
9. Sup Forums is common visitors here.
10. Is google planning to do this?

tl;dr Sup Forums is not one person, faggot.

>mactits thinking their shit is for the rich even though it's like a thousand and a half dollars and even your average gaymertard builds computers for double that price
>mactoddlers calling anyone who doesn't use non upgradable, fragile crap (literally made to be broken and fixed only at apple so they can jew you for more $$$) with botnet OS "sour grapes"
o im laffin m8
>seriously, unironically and literally wanting to associate yourself with starbucks drinking hipster consumerist trannies

Time to bite
>1
Gentoo
>2
I do
>3
Of course your average GNOMEME-infused distro with a 3GB kernel is gonna be slow. Install Gentoo and Plasma
>4
Gentoo is the best and it'll stay that way for at least the next few years.
>5
macOS is like one of those imperfect distros you keep talking about. It has some neat features here and there, but overall is shit.
>6
Windows is not secure. Most Antivirus software solutions are either scam or botnet. ClamWin is not, but its virus DB might be outdated.
>7
Gentoo
>8
Thinkpads are kind of a meme
>9
I have a dual boot on my gaymen PC. For everything else it's Gentoo exclusively.
>10
I guess so.

As for most of your arguments against Sup Forums, congratulations on realizing that this is a shit place.

>using a unix clone from someone that hates unix.

sakurauchi riko from love live sunshine

Unix was proprietary garbage and is not comparable with today's 'unix-like' systems. It had lots of limitations like line lengh limits etc., simply because it's old ass stuff from the 70s.
Unix gets too much glory by hipsters like you. It was a good system model, but without any free software benefits and quality we enjoy in GNU+Linux today.

>Unix was proprietary garbage
BSD would like a word with you.

Paywalled garbage.

Still better than anything the old faggot Lispers could produce.

Hi

Didn't they make unix open source some years back?

Sun opensourced ATT sys V in 2005
FreeBSD opensourced BSD in 1993

But that really isn't the point. Stallman wanted a lisp machine but had no way of making hardware. so he ported Emacs to Unix (C was portable code) so he can have his lisp interpretor. Stallman hated Unix because it wasn't lisp.

>he has some criticism of unix
>he hated unix
What kind of logical fallacy is this?

You called it, bro.
I found zero merit in each of your statements.

It's not. He goes into depth in his lisp speeches.
He only used Unix because it ran on everything and he needed emacs to run on everything.

Or more like he wanted developers and unix already has one.

*community

nope. Have you read anything stallman has published?? or am I arguing with a zealot?

>1
True.
>2
Arguably false.
>3
False.
>4
Arguably true.
>5
False. In fact, most setups I see here look and act nothing like MacOS.
>6
Common Sense 2018 is undeniably the best antivirus for Windows, but no one here is claiming that Windows, let alone any OS is 100% secure.
>7
Partially true. Everyone shits on distros, but it's because they feel it's inferior to what they are using themselves, not inferior to Windows or MacOS.
>8
False.
>9
True.
>10
They already did. It's called Android.
And Linux not being popular on the Desktop is a good thing.

> making Linux distros act more like MacOS
LOOK like OS X. The way it actually acts is shit. Glad Linux isn't like that and features better GNU utils.
Why do I type that? It's another shitpost thread made by a neet OP for (You)s.

True.

Fact ##: Win 7 is better than Win 10 in just about every way possible.

Where does he says he hate unix?

When he said he wanted to make a lisp machine and never had run Unix before.
He even says "Gnu is Not Unix"

That's not hate, he just wanted a lisp machine and ended up with a *nix around it.

>i'm not a fan of Unix.
I bet when a girl says she's not a fan of you then you interpret it as having a chance with her, don't you Mr. Autism.

I was not a fan of your mom, but still fucked her ass, because her ports were wide open to anyone.

I agree with you OP. I didn't spend $1,500 to build something I can't even get decent graphics drivers for.

MacOS has a UI that any Linux user would fuck their Mum to get.

Windows has application support that any Linux user would fuck their dad to get.

I didn't fuck either, already on Windows.

Linux is a kernel.

The kind of pedantic response that comes only from a Linux user.

hm... what does it mean if someone exclusively uses linux and never even thought about fucking his parents?
Linux based distributions can look like fagOS if one desires so.
What applications I am missing from windows? Name at least 1
inb4
>muh gaaaaayyyymes!!
fuck off underage

>Linux based distributions can look like fagOS if one desires so.
being this deluded.

I don't know, orphan maybe?

You're missing:

mspaint
calc
iexplore

Plus when you're old enough to have a girlfriend she'll just think you're a pedo, or have aspergers, or both.

>mspaint calc iexplore
implying I need this garbage.

>if you use linux you're pedo or have aspergers and have no gf
nice meme

>superficial widgets make a gui
Your knowledge of gui design and fill a thimble.

I said look like, not act like.

1. true
2. only a mod would know the true stats. they'd need to remember to segregate mobile vs desktop posters since android-linux has a big slice of the pie. (IIRC a few months ago a mod once mentioned posts were about 55% mobile 45% deskotp/laptop)
3. depends on the version/distro and most importantly the hardware. my old desktop can't handle vista/7/8/10 very well, but it can't handle KDE 5 nor unity well either. it does well with MATE, Xfce, and XP.
4. I don't know about distro hopping addiction. Linux offers choices (too many I agree) and even the best performing distros are always lacking a little something that unified well-designed polished OSes (older OS X, older Solaris on SPARC, windows 98 SE or 2000) have. the price of too much freedom maybe.
5. that depends on the individual user. I'd love to make mine look like windows 2000 or OS X before it went flat, but I'm not getting very good results.
6. well nothing is 100% secure, but common sense is breddy segure. ppl need a bit of experience with computers to know have it though.
7. see answer for 4
8. idk anything about thinkpads
9. probably true. for me it's a lack of functionality for some programs I use. they're really slow and limited compared to their windows counterpart.
10. for a unified, well-integrated OS, it doesn't have to be google specifically. but it does have to be someone with a vision and deep pockets. like steve jobs, or even sun microsystems early on. I feel the BSDs would benefit even more from this.

Fact 1/3

Fact 2/3

Why would someone theme Linux as OSX? Why not just get the real thing and not have to keep fixing it when it goes wrong.

Must be awkward to explain why you have a fake computer.

Fact 3/3

I proved my point, not justified it's a good thing.
For me macOS UI looks old and outdated compared to gnome shell or KDE dashboard.

Where is this retarded thing from?

Who knows. I'm saving it though as it's good and looks good to trigger

Obvioulsy it's from MS marketing materials around 2006.

The fact that it mentions Windows Live Essentials, I believe it's from 2007/2008

>>FACT #1
Arch
>>FACT #2
I only have Linux PC

>>FACT #3
I don't admit untrue things, and tiling managers are good for productivity. They aren't pretty because it's not the point

>>FACT #4
Arch for 2 years

>>FACT #5
Idk does MacOS use i3 because if not I'm probably not into it.

>>FACT #6
I don't know or care what this means
>>FACT #7
Jewbuntu or fedora for noobs, more autistic distros if you want that level of control

>>FACT #8
If you say so
>>FACT #9
Some people are tards

>>FACT #10
Projection?

Arch/Debian
(You)
wut?
Only had 2
The fuck is MacOs?
No one is secure
(You)
>Sup Forums buys thinkpads
>>FACT #9 Reason most often cited by Sup Forums as the reason they won't install Linux on their primary PC? Games
Kids
>>FACT #10 Sup Forums knows deep down that the only way Linux can compete with MacOS and Windows is when Google finally makes a Linux-based desktop OS, and nearly every Sup Forums Linux user will dump their shitty Linux distro for Google's Linux-based desktop OS thus embracing the botnet, while the rest of them will become hipsters and use meme distros and FreeBSD.
Tinfoil hat

>The fuck is MacOs?
Actual UNIX

None of these sound like facts to me, but I'm willing to keep an open mind. Let's see your proof then. You have actual proof to your claims since you named them facts and not claims, right? Unless of course FACT with all capital letters means something other than a fact, like maybe Fictional And Crappy Trolling.

Only 10.5 is UNIX, others aren't

huh?

>FACT #1 Sup Forums will never and cannot come to a majority consensus about what the best Linux distro is.
Linux from scratch.
>FACT #2 Most of Sup Forums doesn't even run Linux on their primary PC.
Not true.
>FACT #3 Sup Forums will not admit that Linux is objectively less responsive than Windows and instead tells people to not use compositing window managers and switch to tiling window managers in order to hide the Linux lag.
Only nVidia and Intel are affected to this.
>FACT #4 Sup Forums is addicted to distro hopping and will never stay with one distro because they know deep down that every distro has something they don't like.
Not quite.
>FACT #5 Sup Forums has a secret obsession with making Linux distros act more like MacOS despite their hatred for MacOS
No.
>FACT #6 Sup Forums will tell you that Common Sense 2018 for Windows is 100% secure while also telling you that there is no way to make Windows secure and that you must install Linux to be secure.
True, because Linux for desktop is way more secure.
>FACT #7 If you ask Sup Forums about what the best Linux distro is, they will spend more time telling you which distros are shit because deep down, they know that Linux distros are shit and not a single distro can compete with Windows and MacOS.
One that works for user.
>FACT #8 Most of the used Thinkpads that Sup Forums buys now run a version of Windows after frustration with Linux.
No.
>FACT #9 Reason most often cited by Sup Forums as the reason they won't install Linux on their primary PC? Games.
True, not all games are compatible with Wine, and PCI-E throughput is not 100% efficient
>FACT #10 Sup Forums knows deep down that the only way Linux can compete with MacOS and Windows is when Google finally makes a Linux-based desktop OS, and nearly every Sup Forums Linux user will dump their shitty Linux distro for Google's Linux-based desktop OS thus embracing the botnet, while the rest of them will become hipsters and use meme distros and FreeBSD.
It is free source, you can degoogle chrome, chrome os, android...

>#1
WOW, IT'S ALMOST LIKE Sup Forums ISN'T A HIVE MIND
>#2
I need some proof
>#3
Less responsive in what way
>#4
Again, Sup Forums is not a hivemind, some people stick to distros and other hop
>#5
See #4
>#6
This is somewhat true
>#7
Opinion not fact
>#8
I need proof
>#9
Truth
>#10
Opinion not fact
>What other facts about Linux and Sup Forums can you add to the list?
>FACT #11 OP will always be a fag

>games
You must be 18 to post here.

>Windows-like app freedom
That's the most stupid combination of words I've ever read on Sup Forums
Good job!

Resizing window explorer with my gtx 1080 lags on windows. No lag on Linux. Also everybody knows that Linux is far more usable for low-end machines.
True. Because that is the only reason one would use Windows over Linux, making most of your points invalid.

One of the only reasons*

>And Linux not being popular on the Desktop is a good thing.

This is haram

I don't even care what the best linux distro is, I've been running debian testing as my main OS for three years and it just werks.
Windows is not responsive at all, meanwhile linux is usable right after I log in.
I have literally never used anything other than debian, even in VMs.
The "bar at the top and at the bottom" Macshit meme is the worst meme in the history of user interface design, I always cringe when I see linux desktops trying to emulate that layout.
Antiviruses are known to have their own set of vulnerabilities, and some of them fuck with HTTPS for muh real time browsing security, so MSSE + common sense is all you need. Windows is still not secure though, because the "install random adware-ridden binaries from the internet" software distribution model is fundamentally broken.
I don't give a shit about distros or thinkpads, I have a gamer laptop.
I have a windows partition just for games that I use about once every three months because I'm too lazy to set up GPU passthrough in a VM.
I have never felt like "oh boy I would sure love to ditch my perfectly working system for some locked down botnet crap that caters to normos".

what did he mean by this?

Fedora hands down the best. Stable, nice package manager, well maintened, updated, user friendly enough to allow you to get the job done.