Simple things Linux can't do

Let's make a gallery of simple things you can do in seconds on a system developed by professionals, whereas users of hobbyist "alternatives" would have to struggle against scripts and terminals for a week to achieve the same.

On display: search for all video files in a folder, then sort them by length.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/rg3/youtube-dl
github.com/MrS0m30n3/youtube-dl-gui
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16178534
hackread.com/erebus-ransomware-targets-linux-servers/
blog.trendmicro.com/linux-is-secureright/
disk.yandex.ru/d/nr8tC5dP3RzqzF
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Here's the simple things Linux can't do:

Play games
Download Youtube videos
Photoshop
No pajeet support center(Thank God!)
No refresh menu

>Play games
Are you sure?

>Download Youtube videos
We have the most powerful tool. youtube_dl

What is even a refresh menu?

This only happens when you execute shady .exes or download "software" from Indian tech support sites

If you behave like an idiot on a computer, you get this idiotic crap.

This thread is shit and you should feel bad for making it.

>play games
cedega, wine, playonlinux, native, flash, html5, etc.
>download youtube videos
found the guy that's never used lignux in his life
>photoshop
POL
>no pajeets
i mean yeah unless you go with ubuntu's dev team
>no refresh menu
why would you need one

>Games
Not a manchild
>YouTube
youtube-dl
>Photoshop
Not a fag
>Pajeet support
Hello
>Refresh menu
for what?

>Play games
steam/wine
>Download Youtube videos
github.com/rg3/youtube-dl
github.com/MrS0m30n3/youtube-dl-gui
>Photoshop
Works on wine 3.0
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16178534
>No pajeet support center
who needs pajeet support center
>No refresh menu
wtf is a refresh menu

Proper fucking VSYNC
Good drivers that work for the majority of hardware

>Are you sure?
No, I'm certain.

>play games
Around 80% of the games I actually play on my steam account run perfectly fine on linux. And a bunch of games can run perfectly fine on wine. If you only play disgusting AAA games it's your and the developers fault.
>Download Youtube videos
I hope you're not being serious here.
>Photoshop
GIMP.
>No refresh menu
???

0days. Also the vast majority of windows users DO behave like idiots.

>refresh menu
do you mean factory reset?

Professional at what?

Exactly

>2018
>avi
you winfags never change

>refresh menu
Loonixfags will NEVER know this feel

Nice gimpshot. No Linux file manager has that column.

KDE has it too

I'm sure one does. I don't know why you'd open with file managers wincuck. Windows clearly has the worst one of any modern os. It doesn't even have tabs. It's the worst part about using windows.

KDE kan sort videos by legth.

>Play games
Wine... And Android...
>Download Youtube videos
Easy
>Photoshop
Wine
>No pajeet support center(Thank God!)
We have... But not on free as pee distros.
>No refresh menu
KDE

>Simple things Linux can't do
disable screensaver

indian confirmed

Haven't seen a screensaver since CRT

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

hackread.com/erebus-ransomware-targets-linux-servers/
blog.trendmicro.com/linux-is-secureright/

>no easy way to permanently disable mouse acceleration, have to google several non-working commands, check arch wiki, all commands are different and you just enter shit until something sticks.
>Mouse acceleration still being a thing in 2017/2018

>Monitor 1 - 120hz
>Monitor 2 - 60hz
>TEEEA
> AAARRR
have to go into config files and change composition mode and various things until something works.
Why add a setting GUI in the DE if it doesn't even handle basic shit you need for everyday use.

to be fair, last time I tried it was over a year ago.
But how does something like that not work ootb.

F5 works for me using thunar (no DE).

change mouse sensitivity

Pic related, less than 10 seconds of google.
Mouse acceleration isn't bad, go back to csgo and

Never heard of a problem like this. What is wrong with your mouse? Every distro I tried worked mouse out of the box without any tweaks.

>what is f5

It's for disabling mouse acceleration, not fixing something.

Here's a simple thing Linux can't do: boot itself

Linux is goat for single or limited use devices. Like media servers, atms, dvd player menus, etc. Its kind of a shame that it has >nogaems (I know there's games, but its a small percentage of what can run on windows) basically because of jewery. If it had the same degree of support from hardware manufacturers I would main linux for sure

certainly wrong fgt

Basically THIS

Linux can't do many simple things like listing, copying or removing files, but the thing is, that's not the job of a system kernel. The job of linux is to allocate hardware resources to programs that you run, a job it does pretty well.

But NT/Windows can

you should have named this thread /lht/

Could do that with ls and ffmpeg.

ls
cp
rm

Have you never touched a linux machine before.

Try doing this on windows

find ./ -iname "*OP isn't a faggot*" -delete

It'll recursively check every folder in the current directory for files that match the regex and then delete them. Of course it won't delete anything

upload your pic folder plz

>files that match the regex and then delete them. Of course it won't delete anything
what's the point then?

>yandex
botnet

I mean it won't find any files that match '*OP isn't a faggot*' because those files don't exist.
If it were to search for 'OP is a faggot' it'd delete everything. You may just be a brainlet.

>SOY

No computer is "hack proof"

find . -name "*.flac" | parallel ffmpeg -i {} -c:a libopus -c:b 128k {.}

Done, you can check here:
disk.yandex.ru/d/nr8tC5dP3RzqzF

Post pictures from the web on Sup Forums without saving them to your hard drive.

Thank (You)

Serious question, what the fuck is refreshing the desktop?
t.i3 user

>je suis soy

It's funny because you only need that button on Linux, Windows automatically refreshes folders on changes .

what does it do? Check for new files that you have moved in that directory? Doesn't that happen automatically?

A combination of mediainfo, grep and sort should do the trick.

xset s off, if under Xorg.

The file is still saved on your computer when you paste a link to the file browser under Windows (I'm assuming you're referring to this).

Epic GNU/Linux help thread in discuise.

pretty sure that was jokingly hinting at the fact that Linux is the kernel used in various OS like Ubuntu, Debian, Arch and so on
ls and so on are just programs executed in a terminal

ffmpeg? Surely file(1) is enough?

Graphics drivers on Windows have a habit of not actually refreshing the desktop when they should (i.e. when a new file is added via the file browser or by the action of a program) as a cheat to save power/improve performance. When I had a GTX 970 the drivers were awful for doing this.

In response Windows added an option to refresh the desktop, forcing a full repaint of the desktop to see what had really changed. A certain subset of users then developed a belief that hitting refresh on the desktop improved system performance and then it became a meme.

Looks like it converts everything to "opus" (I don't know what that is), all at the same time for some reason.
I don't know what '{.}' is, either.

What's the relevance to the OP?

I assume he meant he puts them in a ramfs. Or maybe some Linux 'open' dialogue lets you just paste URLs in, like paint.net

Frfr and you can have similar sort functionality with dolphin on kde so idk what they're talking about.

Opus is an open heavily compressed audio codec for streaming applications, I'm pretty sure this is a meme that destroys your FLACs.

>no easy way to permanently disable mouse acceleration
Works just fine in Cinnamon.

>0days don't exist on Linux
>users' stupidity is the OS' fault

Windows makes it very easy to be stupid. Everything is done through clicking on items in the UI, which defaults to executing executables and stuffing files into whatever potentially vulnerable piece of software their file extension vaguely suggests they should be fed into. Additionally the lack of execute permissions (or the fact that the default is on, I'm not sure) means you don't have to explicitly approve executing something you've just downloaded, it's the default.

It also hides file extensions by default, making it way easier to miss that that file is actually file.pdf.exe.

>erebus
First the heresy, now this?

why would the gfx drivers need to specifically repaint the desktop? is windows so badly designed?

UAC is on by default. Everyone turns it off.

i am actually somewhat impressed by the usability improvements made in windows 10, features like scrolling on an unfocused window and multiple desktops are small but really make a big difference
too bad the UI is still inconsistent as shit and the OS itself is full of useless garbage developed by patchwork teams of pajeets who don’t seem to have communicated with each other at all
srsly, each version of windows feels like DLC for the last one and it’s not hard to tell which bits they didn’t even bother updating for the new version
macOS continues to be the only visually consistent and usable OS out of the box.

Works in Dolphin

Forgot to sort them.

It's been a while since I used Dolphin. Isn't the duration column for audio only?

It's in the Audio category, but it still works for videos for some reason. Also, most of these webms have no audio.

Good to know, it didn't use to.

>winblows 10
lol, i'd rather not use a PC at all.

See, people like to trash talk Apple on this board, calling Apple users homosexual and all, but in truth MacOS is like using Linux, but with a consistent UI and the ability to run professionally developed software. I have all the cli tools I'm used to from the 23 years I used Linux before I got a Mac, but when I need Excel, or Word for work I don't have to muddle through with LibreOffice. When I need to edit graphics, I can fire up Photoshop instead of Krita or The GIMP. I don't have to suffer, using software that's missing 1/3 of the features of the commercial software it's trying to copy, or deal with the other 2/3 of the features being half finished or in bizarre places deep in a menu tree that's ridiculously unintuitive. I know it's the "in" thing at the moment to trash Apple and Apple users, but I have never been happier with a computer in my entire life than I am with a secondhand, half-decade old macbook air.

But hey, freetards gonna free(dums)

>64562094
Shitpost of the year right there.

And yes, I tried every single wrapper available.

Why are you so anally anguished, friendo?

>bait threads get this much attention
The absolute state of Sup Forums, you retards ruined it for everyone

Sup Forums was always shit, there wasn't anything to ruin

>what is wine

compton --vsync opengl works fine

>Play games
Wrong, we have wine and many indie titles work with Linux, AAA games are the only ones that usually never work at all
>Download Youtube videos
You are honestly braindead
>Photoshop
Not current photoshop, no, wine works with an older photoshop though.
>No pajeet support center
gud
>No refresh menu
what

increase the bass

>what is dysfunctional garbage at 20% performance loss

did I hear that right?

$ for i in *.*; do echo "$(mediainfo --Inform="General;%Duration/String3% " "$i")$i"; done | sort -k1,1
Wintards absolutely BTFO by the power of the command line, once again

haha yes!

That's your DE, not "Linux".

Since Linux is a toy for non-serious users, I suggest you stop using it and stay with the Windows you deserve. Then you'll have no Linux complaints. Linux doesn't need desktop users.

kek fpbp

werks in KDE.

It's a known truth that the best way to get help for something Linux related is to angrily complain that Linux can't do that thing.

>can't download youtube videos

what is youtube-dl?

youtube-dl -f bestvideo+bestaudio url