/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly search engine, mailing lists...
>b-but what search engines respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
>b-but what e-mail providers respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try autistici or aktivix.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Wugzc58Qrl8
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Optical_disc_drive#DVD-Video
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

bloat

youtu.be/Wugzc58Qrl8
I cri every tiem :'(

Freedom reporting in.

XFCE didn't god damn work wit my thinkpad volume buttons so I installed Cinnamon. I like it more.

Just install Lumina, user.

how can I access root folders (like etc/ bin/ tmp/ etc.) from the file explorer? When I try running nautilus, it gives me some sort of gtk error. I've tried running it in sudo as well with the same problem?

You dont have to install a completely new DE, it is literally 2 lines of code, either for amixer or pamixer...or just install the Xfce pulseaudio applet/mixer/plugin

"gksudo" is for opening apps under sudo so do gksudo nautilus

It's beautiful.

gksudo just gives sudo a graphical interface.

Hey, I'm not sure if this is the best place for this question but I didn't see any mpv thread in the catalog.
Does anyone know how to make mpv display the full path on the top bar? Like top of pic related.
I'm using an old version from the ubuntu repo (0.14.0) but the option might still be there.

>"gksudo" is for opening apps under sudo so

>this is the state of /fglt/

Exactly...he wants exactly that, sudo with a graphical interface, i.e a file manager like nautilus... what is the problem there?

it would work but the keys arent mapped to anything by default on it like they are on some des so you need to do that manually.

There's no problem, it's just stupid to open an additional graphical interface in order to type in your password when the terminal is open already.

he asked specifically a question on how to open a graphical interface file manager
->

yeah I'm still green behind the ears with all the terminal commands so I just wanted to see the root files with a GUI. Unfortunately, my ubuntu only lets me access up to my home folder with the GUI (or at least I think so, anyway).

Many file managers bug out (PCMan mostly) when opening things under gksudo because they default to Home and gksudo often defaults to / ... to avoid that, do gksudo nautilus /

Maybe there is a misunderstanding.
gksudo and sudo do the same thing. The only difference is that gksudo gives you a window where you can type in your password. This is convenient for scripts, but there's no reason to use gksudo when you already have a terminal open and literally type sudo anyway since it will ask for a password at the terminal like usual.

>I couldn't add the xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin to the panel so I installed cinnamon
the state of (You)

so I dd a disk image to a disk with bs=1M
it writes the data to disk in a couple of seconds, but then stops for two minutes while doing nothing at all, and then quits
what is dd doing during those two minutes

flushing cache maybe

Likely wanking
Poor sod never gets to chill out

This. The writes are cached in RAM and have to be flushed to disk.

downloadmoreram.com

how can I run, say, pycharm from anywhere on my machine? Right now I have to cd into the pycharm installation and use the ./ command to run it. What do I have to do to make this usable anywhere?

what?

that's what I figured, that or something to do with the journal

did you sudo make install?
copy the binary to /usr/bin or /bin?
of course that would only work if it uses global libs and not ones in the pycharm dir

The options are obvious once you understand how commands are run.
In short, it works like this:
Step 1) Is the 1st thing on the command line a path to some file? If so then try to execute it.
Step 2) If step1 is false then take the name and search through $PATH for a file which matches. If found then execute it.

If both fail then you get command not found.
So the answer to your question is you need it to reside in your $PATH. Either change the variable to include where it does exist, or move it into a directory that's already in your path variable.

What are my VM options for full hardware acceleration besides pass-through?
I want to make the switch to fulltime but am sticking with dual boot for now due to being addicted to a 15 year old korean MMORPG. Retail version does not work with wine due to the awful anticheat software.

You could give virtualbox 3d accelerated vga a go.

What's wrong with pass-through?

I've tried that but run into various errors.
I don't have a second video card yet.

Though, when I was on Mac, Parallels worked fantastic.

Why are essential packages like x related stuff showing up as orphans with pacman? Kinda annoying

What's the easiest way to convert a DVD into a video file (mp4 would be fine) these days?

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Optical_disc_drive#DVD-Video

What is the difference between different terminal emulators? I've used gnome's and kde's consoles as well as terminator and honestly didn't notice much of a difference, though i'm a n00b

I just installed xfce yesterday. Never used it before. I was a filthy gnome degenerate for a while. I'm really liking xfce so far but can someone give me some tips on things to do and changes to make?

I'm on arch btw

They have different names!

dual boot until you get a 2nd gpu

>copy the binary to /usr/bin or /bin?
Don't do this. Put them in /usr/local/bin, ~/bin, ~/.local/bin or whatever and add that dir to your PATH.

Shit, didn't realise ffmpeg could do this. Seems hard to believe.

When I do, are there any brainlet guides for ubuntu based distros?

it's pretty much the same for every distro
you just have different commands for doing the same stuff.

Would this be good enough settings for ffmpeg to rip a DVD to mp4? Or should I amend anything?

cat VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_*VOB | ffmpeg -i - -s 720x576 -c:v mpeg4 -c:a mp3 -qmin 1 -qmax 3 -b:a 256k -b:v 4000k -y encoded.avi

Xfce has no configuration problems out of the box. Maybe change the window manager to compiz or something because of screen tearing (which is mostly a meme) or enable compositing/drawing on vertical line. Otherwise, it is just...solid

Which packages?

Would somebody be so kind as to explain to me, a retard, his to create a package using xbps? I have a git repo and a four-line script along the lines of "make; make install" (with a couple extra options). I don't particularly intend to contribute to the repos, but I just thought I'd organise it into a proper package rather than just cloning it into some random directory. Or is that a waste of time?

>apparently such a power user and advanced that he needs void linux
>can't read the official documentation to answer his question
>needs to be spoonfed

It's my first distro ever please be gentle

i can't create a kali live custom image on debian, so i'm just downloading the regular image. can i use one flash drive to have the regular image, boot from that, and create the custom image onto another usb from that?

How can I set my meme screen locker to trigger when I close my laptop lid?

Just meme it, bro.

college programming student here, just installed linux for first time. Debian to start out. Finally got wifi and sound and all devices working. Its rewarding thats for sure aha.

Anyways....what music player you guys use? Im using audacious and its decent but wondering if there are any other decent music players?

mpd+sonata

Every music player plays back music, so they're all decent. You didn't name anything you expect, so all you're going to get is "pls use the same softawre as I do".

I like and use winamp on windows whats most simlar to that

Any player that has a playlist cue and library feature. So, about 95% of them.

My 3 top choices would be:
* mpd+ncmpcpp
* cmus
* go without anything fancy and just play shit with mpv

i just use youtube. i don't really listen to music on my laptop though. i try to keep work and play separate. makes me focused when i enter linux mode

What's a linux mode?

a mental mindset

The big switch on the side of your computer with the penguin on it. Do you not have one?

Hey, I'm just starting to look into linux. I've been trying a lot of newbie distributions (linuxmint, xubuntu, ubuntu budgie, etc) out in virtualbox but it seems like all of them have more bloatware than I expected. Is there a relatively minimal distribution that doesn't require me to be experienced with the terminal?

how do i get mv to rename a file based on what i grep'd?
ex: if i pdfgrep faggot file.pdf how do i rename file.pdf to the output of grep?

Been trying to figure out how to switch workspaces on bspwm. Not sure if thats what they're even called but that's what Ubuntu calls them. I think the part of my bspwmrc that deals with spawning multiple workspaces is
bspc config monitor -d 1 2 3 4
but I'm not sure. I'm on a laptop so multiple monitors isn't what I'm after. Just want to be able to switch workspaces. The part of my sxhkdrc which I think maps the keybinding to the switching action is
super + {1-4}
bspc desktop {1-4} --focus
but of course, it doesn't work. If someone could help me out, that'd be awesome.

command substitution either through backticks `...` or $(...)
mv file.pdf $(pdfgrep faggot file.pdf )

How do I get urxvt (or any terminal) to display a message when it's opened? I want to set reminders and stuff.

LINUX MODE: ENGAGED

Nevermind, just figured it out. .bashrc is ran every time the terminal opens so I can just echo something or print a file.

You could like actually install it, or symlink the executable somewhere in your path, or maybe your de has a menu editor function you could just make a new entry point to it.

Even Xubuntu don't install that. Da fugg

Polybar is difficult.

?

the output of your pdfgrep has spaces in it which is why mv treats it as multiple arguments
you could circumvent this by replacing the spaces with underscores
mv file.pdf $(pdfgrep faggot file.pdf | sed -e 's/ /_/g')

>void-live-x86_64-20171007-cinnamon.iso
>void-live-x86_64-musl-20171007-lxde.iso

Linux brainlet here, I'm figuring here that I should go and roll with the latter, which is the standard non-musl, iso, is that right?

Or, rather, which one do I get and roll with and stick and why?

I'm considering Void since my recent Manjaro install/reinstall has been shitting itself for some whatever unknown reason(s)

>void-live-x86_64-20171007-cinnamon.iso
pick this one if you want more packages. The musl repos are smaller than the glibs repos

>installing autismo linux rather fixing the manjaro install

works but there is a 30+ underscore prefix before "faggot." any way to tell sed to only replace the spaces in the "faggot" sequence?
grepping the sequence i want doesn't display the spaces sed is apparently replacing, either.

What's the/are the difference(s) between the two repositories, though? And, also: Why are the musl's repositories smaller?

Regarding the packages, what all and which packages does musl exclude, and, like, why, though?

I already tried, even with their support directly from Manjaro's forums themselves and it still shits itself....

And, I mean, like, it was fixed for like a day or two, or rather, like... I don't know... Perhaps it was temporarily fixed for, what, like, half a day, maybe....?

>What's the/are the difference(s) between the two repositories, though?
the musl repos are built against musl libc and the glibc repos are built against glibc
basically the musl repos are for thos people that for some reason or another don't want any gnu in their system.
>Why are the musl's repositories smaller
because some programs rely on glibc specific behavior

Quotes. Always use "quotes".

I has never any problem with manjaro that couldn't be fixed within archroot.

already doing that.

ok mom
with spaces (also removes leading spaces):
mv file.pdf "$(pdfgrep faggot file.pdf | sed 's/^ *//')"
with underscores (because i don't like spaces in filenames):
mv file.pdf "$(pdfgrep faggot file.pdf | sed -e 's/ /_/g' | sed s/^_*//)"

> sed s/^_*//)"
derp. i'm retarded for not thinking of that. thanks user.

Looks like a winky face

I made a USB and threw Void on it - was interested in trying out the Distro. For some reason it doesn't pick up in my BIOS at all. My computer is an XPS 13, and I've already installed practically all other distros perfectly fine. Any suggestions? I made it with Rufus on default settings.

Try re-creating another bootable Void USB with Etcher instead

Alright. I'll give it a shot.

Guys seriously. Using xfce by the way

mv: target 'September_16_2016_through_October_17_2016.pdf' is not a directory
what the actual fuck is the problem now
why is mv such a finnicky bitch

Hey, it worked. Thanks.

why havent you installed chadian?

Anyone here familiar with bspwm? Still haven't had any luck.