Where would one obtain a brand new IBM 386 PC? And how much should one pay for it?

Where would one obtain a brand new IBM 386 PC? And how much should one pay for it?

Other urls found in this thread:

longisland.craigslist.org/sys/d/vintage-packard-bell-386-sx/6474360396.html
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

people sell fucktons of vintage PCs on Ebay

Used, grimy and dusty

well youre not gonna find a brand new one sitting on a store shelf are you?

Brand new? It was made 20 years ago. How is it going to be brand new?

Sometimes they do come up as "old new stock" but what's a reasonable price to pay on such occasion?

Not open or otherwise tampered with, still in original package, still the same air from 20 years ago trapped inside

>Where would one obtain a brand new IBM 386 PC? And how much should one pay for it?
what do you need it for?
do you have some industrial hardware/software that isn't supported under virtualization?

I want to write books on it while I let my beard grow

i heard wordstar was good for that kinda thing.

>I want to write books
you don'r need a 386 for that

>while I let my beard grow
you're going to have to eliminate soy from your diet first

There's a brand new sun ultra2 on ebay right now for $1.200. I'd use the built in troff. that version of troff can do photo ready typesetting for book publshing. Troff is still used today in the publishing industry.

>you don'r need a 386 for that
It's easier not to get distracted because you can't hook it up to internet, not easily anyway. Even if you did it would be too slow for anything modern

It's perfect for writing though

I want a new one because that way it will probably stay working for a while

>It's easier not to get distracted because you can't hook it up to internet
If you can't control your impulses and urges, you're a nigger

[video of dogs patiently waiting for signal that it is ok to eat vs video of niggers mobbing for food.]

Local ads.
50-100 bucks for a nice machine.

>nice
He wants brand new old stock.

>control his urges, says user as his urges violently erupt
Is Sup Forums always this ironic

a non clone IBM in box is not going to be cheap user.

best bet would be ebay since only collectors would have an unopened PC from 3 decades ago

I think his best bet would be to build.
I can still find AT compatible cases.
And intel made 386 chips until 2007 (but most are in cmos packaging) but still....

The build process is kind of old school though. Not trivial to get matching components, etc

>Not trivial to get matching components
as easy as it is today.
AT systems are AT systems, you'd still have to have comparable RAM/proc/mobo just like today.

>you're going to have to eliminate soy from your diet first

a typewriter would be cheaper... and greener too.
nostalgia has its price, user

>This
Make sure you don't get one of those ones that needed plugged in. Go full mech or go home.
Also buy lots of ribbons. Your gonna need em.

A 386 could be reasonable cheap BUT the IBM logo is expensive as hell in some versions. I bought a 286 PS/2 tower for 150€ and it was to me a real bargain. I was looking for this kind of model for a couple of years and never found one for less than 500€.

It has no undo

Don't mess up

Have you considered building a PC yourself using vintage parts. 386 motherboards with the CPU go for cheap on ebay. You could probably use a new case with that approach

Scour the local ads, you're 100% guaranteed to get jewed over on eBay. Not only are those sellers trying to turn a profit from nostalgaing nerds like us, but they also need to take the 10% eBay fees into account.

A local dude will likely accept 40$ for you to take their old 386 off their hands, but the same machine on ebay will rarely drop below 150$. Especially because of the IBM name being such a meme...

>nostalgia has its price, user

I spent 90$ on two junky Pentium 1 PCs just to combine their parts into a case that's identical to the one i had in '97... I still feel dirty but like, when am i going to see a listing for that exact same model of turbo-button AT case again.

What's with all of these newfags lately getting in over their heads hunting for old shit they barely know anything about? You don't just go out and buy a NOS PS/2, there's no central hub we're all buying ultra-specific shit from, we spend years lurking thrift stores, recyclers, eBay, Craigslist, forums and meeting people who know people to get the shit we have.

b-buh game of thrones guy uses one, i want one too!!!1

Why the fuck would you spend that kind of time and pay hundreds or even thousands of dollars to ruin a still perfectly packaged and mint condition 30 year old system because you can't figure out how to use a fucking paper towel and soap?

here's one for you OP
longisland.craigslist.org/sys/d/vintage-packard-bell-386-sx/6474360396.html
not brand new, but in pretty good condition and nice price
you may have to shell out extra for a VGA monitor

>It was made 20 years ago.
uwot? I had a 486 back then, and that was already old.

>It was made 20 years ago.
Closer to 30.

Oh look, it's another underage kiddie who wants an old machine because le ebic dank 80s vaporware trip.

^This plus death to whatever Youtube celebrity who have him the idea.

>Youtube celebrity
he's referencing Jrr martin you dolt.

Get a job in IT, and old PC's will flock to you.

And I don't just mean Pentium 4's and C2D's some mom and pop shop finally had to let go because they were holdouts through the era of shitty leaky capacitors.

A tested functional used machine is better than a NRFB machine that might be a brick.

computers aren't fucking comic books, people don't buy them just to sit on them for 30 years and hope they are the right one the hipster shitheads in the future want to put on their faggot desk and take pictures of

and they wouldn't make money doing that anyway

Whatever, point still stands.

Why go all the way back to a 386? You can probably find all the XP boxes you want for pennies.

he's wanting something that can't play games or have ethernet. (isa twisted pair ethernet cards are pretty rare)
That's why I suggest a risc workstation since they never really made any games for them, and although they will have networking they won't run a modern browser.

>he's wanting something that can't play games
>can't play games
>on a 386
Were all those hours of Sierra adventures I did just a dream?

>It's perfect for writing though
I bet you couldn't use any DOS word processor on a 13" CRT screen for very long without going insane and wondering how the fuck people used to do this every day.

well technically a Unix workstation has games too (doom and quake) but the library is very small.

OP is beyond autism. He's some new level of super autism.

>I want a new one because that way it will probably stay working for a while
Get a time machine to 1990 in that case.

>SUPREME

>Packard Hell
Come on, even OP doesn't deserve this kind of punishment.

lol I just remembered that I sold my 386 to some rednecks for $400

...in 1997.

>386
Good luck finding one that doesn't have a blue barrel battery that didn't disintegrate and destroy the motherboard.

>What's with all of these newfags lately getting in over their heads hunting for old shit they barely know anything about?

^This. Only select elite people should be allowed to possess vintage gear such as that.

>Get a job in IT, and old PC's will flock to you.
Not stuff as old as a 386. Maybe if this were 1998.

I think you underestimate the power of people dropping their trash in your lap. At least 4 or 5 times a year someone brings in some old PC to recycle, be it a really old 486 laptop or some dinosaur their parents held onto.

When my Toshiba T2100's hard drive failed I ended up with a replacement relic within a month or so. That's just how it seems to go.

If it puts an old machine to use there's nothing wrong with that. I take no pleasure in asserting superiority for having been there when those computers were new.

Most kids will simply avoid these this stuff for being "old", the way i have an irrational aversion to black and white films.

>I want a new one because that way it will probably stay working for a while
I'd rather have a complete, gently used and well-oiled piece of kit that spent most of its life in a climate controlled room/closet and received service when it was needed than a system that spent 30 years in a poorly insulated warehouse without being powered on even once after leaving the factory to stave off stiction/stuck bearings or receiving service for dud parts. Most defects manifest themselves within the first few years or even months of a system's lifetime. If it's survived for the few decades, it's got just as good a chance of surviving a few decades more with proper maintenance.

>buy some relic to be an ebin memester
>realize you can’t shitpost on it because modern internet is way out of its league
>it sits in the corner gathering dust

If you're buying a 25+ year old system to mainly surf the fucking internet, you're doing it wrong.
I shitpost here from relics all the time, though.

I know this is probably just a shitpost, but really. You should probably figure out what a PS/2 is before you start figuring out where you can buy one still sealed in the fucking box.

Saw one similar to this.
>used
>not brand new
>very well maintained and well treated
>basically considered as new
>3,5k EUR
Not sure if anyone bought it, I think that guy still trying to sell it lol.