Are the BSDs dying? Some security researchers think so

csoonline.com/article/3250653/open-source-tools/is-the-bsd-os-dying-some-security-researchers-think-so.html

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linus's_Law
youtube.com/watch?v=Ib7tFvw34DM
youtube.com/watch?v=Ec4NgWRE8ik
youtube.com/watch?v=QMiubC6LdTA
libretro.com/index.php/retroarch-license-violations/
openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/Real-men-don-t-attack-straw-men-tt55042.html#none
libretro.com/index.php/cybergadgets-retrofreak-proven-to-use-snes9x-next2010-code-non-commercial-code-being-sold/
libretro.com/index.php/appeal-to-game-journalists-about-retro-bit-and-about-the-new-retro-emulation-industry-in-general/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_defamation_law
cloudflare.cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/6.2/packages/amd64/
youtube.com/watch?v=piPzExBdfIg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I think OpenBSD has the best chance of surviving because of the security stuff they do.
The big problem is finding a niche the BSDs can prosper in. NetBSD is touted as the most portable OS, but in fact Linux is just as portable nowadays. As for FreeBSD, the only thing it's good at is being Apple's bitch.

/thread

Yeah FreeBSD will die first. NetBSD does some interesting shit like being super portable, contributing to Minix, and from what I heard, doing something with SeL4. So that one will last a bit longer.
OpenBSD will last the longest, simply due to its security innovations.

FreeBSD became SJW infested shithole.
When core is taking action against "gamer gate" you know they have lost their way.

Is this true? I have not read about this.

Das raycis

I know there was a huge freakout over hitler quotes being included in the fortune program.

muh eyeballs.

I think the current state of the Linux ecosystem prove how bullshit that argument is.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linus's_Law

>In Facts and Fallacies about Software Engineering, Robert Glass refers to the law as a "mantra" of the open source movement, but calls it a fallacy due to the lack of supporting evidence and because research has indicated that the rate at which additional bugs are uncovered does not scale linearly with the number of reviewers; rather, there is a small maximum number of useful reviewers, between two and four, and additional reviewers above this number uncover bugs at a much lower rate.[4] While closed-source practitioners also promote stringent, independent code analysis during a software project's development, they focus on in-depth review by a few and not primarily the number of "eyeballs".[5][6]

Long story short
>core gets some girl programmer on team
>she gets some mentoring by seniors
>creates some installer or something banal of that nature
>she hags on their IRC 24/7
>bffs with core
>she leaves to work for amazon
>no longer developing for BSD
>still bffs on IRC
>she raises voice about Gamer gate OMG GIRLS SLEEPING FOR FAVORS IS OK on twitter
>some BSD dev calls her out on her bullshit
>she complains to core
>they kick him out
>Lead beta orbiter makes a conference talk defending this action

I dont have to picture how stupid this thing is.
the video
>youtube.com/watch?v=Ib7tFvw34DM

search for Randi Harper on ED

Why would you wanna include quotes by a genocidal maniac though? He was objectively (not ironically, like Sup Forums is) racist and overall just the textbook example of a bad human being!

Why the fuck are they ruining everything I love?! First movies, then vidja, then GNU/Linux and programming, then the BSDs. I have even seen a few "anime-feminist" sites pop up recently. I swear to god just leave me the fuck alone, why cant I just use autismo operating systems and masturbate to 2d grills in peace?!

>Robert Glass
Let's see who the fuck is he...
>Glass criticized open-source software, predicting that it will not reach far, and "will be limited to one or a few cults emerging from a niche culture." Glass's basis for this bold prediction was that open-source software "goes against the grain of everything I know about the software field"

Already BTFO'd from freebsd.

>OpenBSD will last the longest, simply due to its security innovations.
Someone have to test that openssh. :^)

Penguins don't need to fly.
The south pole is always kinda winter and already as south as you can get.

you are part of the problem ruining stuff when you call it GNU

Thanks Rabbi.

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Is that supposed to be an argument against something?

I'm going to assume that was against either RMS or some other GNU/fag.
Which is totally warranted because they were known for going around and stirring up shit, to the point even Linux devs told them to fuck off.

>Book is literally called Facts and Fallacies about Software Engineering
>user replies with an Ad hominem

wew lad

Linux is a kernel.

>tfw your """complete""" operating system still can't be assed to merge a year-old ASLR patch
Honestly the main thing that makes me rage about FreeBSD is how the dumbass developers act so high-and-mighty while knowing nothing about security. "I'm a kernel dev" levels of arrogance at its finest

So what you fucking faggot? Kernel is the least portable part of the OS because it abstracts hardware so it's architecture-specific to a notable degree.

this is RMS going off about some argument regarding the openbsd ports

this is openbsd by the way

Talking about fallacies, he couldn't fail harder with shilling against OSS development and popularity as the quote pointed out.

damn son

Too bad openbsd refuses to boot with an indecipherable kernel error message on my old thinkpad, otherwise I would use it.

Oh shit, well I'm a retard. I'm still mad about freebsd though now that I thought about it.

What is the difference?

The thread title 'real men don't attack strawmen' was pretty perfect, since that's what the openbsd community constantly did in this list.
>claim RMS opinion on something is shit
>actually isn't RMS opinion
>openbsd community attacks him anyway

damn looks like netcraft was right

this shit would never, EVER happen under openbsd

i forgot to add that there's an upside to this story in that randi harper was actually considered toxic to the point where they wanted to sue her for using freebsdgirl as her twitter handle

>supporting nonfree platforms is hypocritical

/ourguys/

god women ruin everything
thankfully we will have artificial wombs soon and we can put women out to pasture and use their biomass for something useful

This is de way brodas

it is hypocritical if you are RMS considering some of the other stuff he says and promotes

its like that typical girl that joins your MMO guild and destroys it

Like what? Windows users are fucked, but that doesn't mean they aren't allowed to use GNU stuff.

>believing in propaganda
Just remember that victors write the history books.

You guys are saying the OS on which MacOS, PS4 System Software and Nintendo Switch System Software will die? Isn't it like saying outdated Windows will die on ATMs?

might makes right. i though stormfags knew this.

OpenSSL and bash wasn't audited that much so it's practically proves the "more eyeballs" narrative.

It's not. Read the list, RMS explains his views on the topic very clearly, but I guess that's not what you want; you want to hate him, that's why you simply close your eyes and don't listen to him.

for one, he sperged out on that mailing list about discouraging people from using openbsd (or even most linux distributions) because they "recommend that the users install nonfree programs" because in the case of the ports tree it has makefiles that let users install the programs, and some distros have nonfree programs in their repositories
even having them disabled by default, requiring explicit activation from the user, is enough for stallman to not recommend that distro, and consider that distro to be suggesting nonfree software

meanwhile, GCC has explicit code for windows, which following RMS logic would imply that the devs of GCC recommend users keep using nonfree software (operating systems)

Nintendo Switch System Software is not BSD.
>youtube.com/watch?v=Ec4NgWRE8ik
12:30

I dont give two shits what teens know about history.
My point was that nothing is black and white.

That's the point of divershitty, inclusion and all other bullshit, that's their sole function,corruption and destruction, unless you believe the scam bullshit they spout

Do we really need to repeat it all again?

>GCC recommend users keep using nonfree software (operating systems)
gcc is a free software, so why wouldn't it support any platform?

Stop posting false weaseled statements and attacking them.

Is ps4 bsd?, I heard ps3 was based on bsd but dont know anything about ps4

content://media/external/file/73993

About PS4
>youtube.com/watch?v=QMiubC6LdTA

>> Hey this is my cellphone number right here now! :D

that one is about compiling software/using the free software. The user can do whatever they want to with the free software (as long as it complies with, in this case, GPL)

The argument shortly after that post on the list is that the devs of GCC having code to help GCC be used in conjunction with nonfree software.

It is pretty much exactly the same thing as ports having makefiles to allow pulling in nonfree stuff

>gcc is a free software, so why wouldn't it support any platform?
supporting a platform by not doing things that make it not work on a platform is one thing
actively encouraging the use of nonfree platforms by having code specifically for that platform is an entirely different thing

I am totally fine with it, dont get me wrong.
But it does not make RMS less of a hypocrite regarding his rants about linux distributions or ports

Okay, but my point is that it's okay to say that here, on a jokey anonymous online shitboard. But a serious open source software project isn't a jokey anonymous online shitboard, you can't do something like that there.

GPL has been proven to be useless.
Please stop spreading this shit and the FSF should be held accountable for spreading lies.
Its not enforceable in practice.
Just ask libretro devs.
>libretro.com/index.php/retroarch-license-violations/

What did he mean by this?

Free speech is a thing and people are allowed to do whatever they want.
Its not up to you to uphold imaginary ethic standards on a project that is not yours.

OpenBSD is ironically probably the most outdated.

Linux is a kernel.

openbsd does not, at ANY point, suggest you install non-free software

>is not yours
Exactly. The owners of it are entitled to uphold their ethic standards. So really the only people here trying to impose their own ethic standards are you who're whining because they shouldn't be allowed to remove literal Hitler quotes.

and a word for any distribution using the linux kernel

>OpenBSD
>outdated

>firefox-57.0.4, latest stable
>chromium-63.0.3239.132, latest stable
>gnome-3.26.2, latest stable
>libreoffice-5.3.7.2, latest stable

Get your facts straight, faggot.

but these are under a proprietary licence that is almost GPL-like.........with the added restriction that the code cannot be used in any kind of software that earns any kind of compensation ever.

>Free speech is a thing and people are allowed to do whatever they want.
There is no place on Earth where you can say whatever you want.

openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/Real-men-don-t-attack-straw-men-tt55042.html#none
For people who want to check the facts.

it's amazing how much jacoutot has managed to do with gnome on openbsd on his own

Thanks, but we don't wanna check facts, we just wanna pick a side and defend it at any costs, cherrypicking facts and even making "facts" up if necessary.

So stop calling android 'android'.

yes there's a few other GPL bits there. so your point stands.

Its called USA.
Look it up.

i wonder when openbsd devs will start pestering everyone who uses android since they forked the openbsd libc

>words can't have two meanings
Imagine suffering from such a severe degree of retardation.

GPL at this point has been abused enough to be considered a joke.
No action can be taken by anyone.

>libretro.com/index.php/cybergadgets-retrofreak-proven-to-use-snes9x-next2010-code-non-commercial-code-being-sold/

>libretro.com/index.php/appeal-to-game-journalists-about-retro-bit-and-about-the-new-retro-emulation-industry-in-general/

>a place where you can unironically defend Hitler and that's okay
Wow, what a shitshow.

It's pretty useful at giving Chinese businesses an unfair advantage over Western businesses.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_defamation_law

Yes,unlike other places where if you don't confirm to the local cattle mentality you are the devil like Hitler.
What a joke,this is why USA will always be number 1.

>cattle mentality
That's a funny new name for "not approving of mass murder".
>always
Starting when?

cloudflare.cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/6.2/packages/amd64/

Some call it mass murder dropping two nukes on slant eyes humanoids.
But thats never called in question of being right or wrong.
Please grow up.

>still no journaling file system
>still no flash file system
>still no multithreading
>still no multhreaded pf (so terrible performance for a router)
>still lagging behind in porting DRM drivers from linux

> hello user, you can install this, this, this and this
That makes it legitimate/suggests installing it.

>still lagging behind in porting DRM drivers from linux
does it not support kaby lake now?

>But thats never called in question of being right or wrong.
You can't be serious

>what the system distro suggest that the user do

Read the mailing list archive. This is false, OpenBSD doesn't do this and Stallman gets told as the lying hypocrite he is because of this.

they outright tell you to not use the port system if you don't know what you're doing

packages are 100% free

USA motherfucker.
Its great to be living in a free country.

It does, but the lying faggot has to gets his (you)'s somehow.

Canada is better though!

youtube.com/watch?v=piPzExBdfIg

No military so it makes it automatically worse.

NK will be dealt with soon enough.
As a last communists shithole standing I expect a good fight.

I thought Canada had a few different military armys.