What the hell is so special about BSD? What can you do on it that you can't do on Linux, mac, or windows?

What the hell is so special about BSD? What can you do on it that you can't do on Linux, mac, or windows?

You can feel even more elite.

>almost everyone does not know/care about BSD
>no systemd
>no grub
>muh minimalism
guaranteed safety from faggotry for a thousand years

It's a stable base maintained by a core team

>no grub
why is this good?

forces u 2 git gud with whatever bootloader *BSD has?

It's not gentoo.

You can weigh the value of feeling like a special snowflake against having a usable, just werks operating system and reinstall GNU+Linux.

if you don't like unix doesn't make you a lesser person. world needs gaymers and helpdesk.

You can weigh the value of feeling like a special snowflake against having a usable, just werks operating system and reinstall Windows 10

It's useless as a desktop OS for anyone other than hobbyists. It's more useful to software developers who are creating a custom OS for commercial purposes. The software license terms are a lot more lenient than many other open source software licenses such as GPL. This makes the BSD kernel more ideal for creating custom operating systems where profit is concerned. If I recall correctly, Sony used BSD to make one or more of their playstation operating systems. Also, I believe OSX based their Darwin kernel on BSD.

I think it's also pretty nice for learning about OS design. Its code is somewhat more readable than Linux and is less of an ad-hoc mess.

*just spys*

You can make profitable things without making third parties profit, truly devilish indeed

>designed as a complete os rather than hacking GNU shit together
>zfs
>base system kept separate
>ports collection
>no systemd
>maintained by a core group and not a pretentious faggot
>no cancerous GPL

macOS has its own kernel called XNU which is derived from the Mach kernel along with some components from the FreeBSD kernel. The userland utilities are taken from FreeBSD as well.

>no systemd
/thread

Why the fuck are you people so autistic about SystemV? I know the part about Pestering being an absolute cunt, but what about the other reasons?

Because it's absorbed an absolute fuck ton of utilities that have nothing to do with what an init should do, which makes it a monolithic piece of shit and ripe to become a dependency for almost everything.

You can add DNS to gif related.

It also does dumb shit like mounting EFIvars as read/write, which makes it stupidly easy for something to brick your computer.

Systemd

l-lordshaft senpai?

Also, it defaults your DNS to Google DNS, so basically every single time you go to a web site on the Internet, Google knows about it.

>SystemV
Because fuck Sun and Fuck ATT! UNIX should never be standardized!

I tried OpenBSD for about a month. OpenBSD had really good man pages. The whole system just seemed way more polished than the Fedora system I run now.

OpenBSD is my backup for when normies completely ruin Linux. You know that day is coming. Amazon botnet coming to Ubuntu is all the warning you need. Prepare your anus.

millennials will defend this

Linux is a kernel.
Mac is a device.
Windows is spyware.

>I posted it again, reddit xD