/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub (embed)

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

head-case.org/forums/topic/12921-schiit-jotunheim/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-schiit-modi-2-99.1649/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hardware-teardown-of-schiit-modi-2-usb-dac.2082/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6wdcig/bad_experience_with_schiit_audio/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6lnyd8/ama_request_nick_t_from_schiit_tech_support/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7bwko4/schiit_refusing_to_replace_the_misconfigured/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7b33wc/schiit_fulla_2_problems_about_blew_out_my_eardrums/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/71wtot/schiit_cs_has_left_me_between_a_rock_and_a_hard/
google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://amp.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7b1j7z/shure_se215_seem_to_no_longer_be_recommend_on_here/&ved=2ahUKEwiA85ffsIbZAhVCeKwKHViGAn0QFjABegQIExAB&usg=AOvVaw1XijNboFZI3_I6hB8nJ41X&cf=1
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What are the second worst headphones after the STAX SR-L300LE?

HD600

there is nothing worse or better than stax because they are the only headphone worth considering

>before STAX
Wow, this headphone sounds pretty good!
>after STAX
This headphone sounds good, but it's not STAX.

I'm planning to buy the m30x, do i need an amp if I'm using with pc?
also will it make a difference if i add a cheap dac? which one do you guys recommend? i want to spend less than $150 in total (including the headphones)

Thread reminder to never buy Schiit products.

>#1 recommended brand by reddit shills because hehe i get to say Shit
>owner thinks authoring a 140-chapter work of fiction about the company history makes up for garbage quality and performance

head-case.org/forums/topic/12921-schiit-jotunheim/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-schiit-modi-2-99.1649/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hardware-teardown-of-schiit-modi-2-usb-dac.2082/

>solder splatter
>caps on output
>Either they don't measure their DACs, don't care or don't know how to design a clean DAC.
>For me the biggest letdown with all of this is the major disservice Schiit and others are doing to the community. They are toting these frankly "shit" amps as power houses

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6wdcig/bad_experience_with_schiit_audio/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6lnyd8/ama_request_nick_t_from_schiit_tech_support/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7bwko4/schiit_refusing_to_replace_the_misconfigured/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7b33wc/schiit_fulla_2_problems_about_blew_out_my_eardrums/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/71wtot/schiit_cs_has_left_me_between_a_rock_and_a_hard/

>reddit
Solid recommendation to buy from Schiit. Thanks friend.

Lets see your setup, fambam

I beg of you STAX-sama, please send me my headphones as quickly as possible. I promise I will take great care of you and I hope for your safe arrival.

p.s. dynamic owners are cucks

>t.schiit shill

Don't get the m30x

headphone haver reporting in

Post pic of headphones

>the objectively best headphones in the universe alongside some Audio Technicas

What amp should I get to go alongside my KEF Q100s? Looking for something under $150. Considering getting a SMSL SA-98E

Yamaha R-S202BL, or Onkyo TX-8020 if you can push it

Looking for something more compact

Are there any true wireless earbuds available for cheap or do you still have to cough up at least $100 to get them?

Micca Origain?

Would 50W be enough? Is 160W overkill?

why? any recommendations around that price range?

Better to have too much than too little.

Status audio cb1

>wireless earbuds
All of them are garbage, don't buy any

Are these any good? I'm really thinking about buying them.

>get an asgard 2 for 160
>pick up a modi uber 2 due to budget
>my autism is now obsessed with how much better the bifrost looks with the asgard

I actually have to stop myself from purchasing a DAC thats worth almost twice as my amp simply because of asthetics.

Tape the modi 2 under your desk so you don't have to look at it. Also, why Asgard? It's less powerful than the Magni and not tube meme like schiit's other stuff.

Someone was was selling a pretty good condition one for that price, figured what ever extra I paid over the magni at least I was getting a class A.

sources say they are good, but not the best bang for your buck. consider etymotic hf5 as well.

MK5 > HF5

that's a good show

weeb.

normie

Yeah, I've been looking at that one as well but I'm paranoid about the non-removable cord. (The jack of my previous earphones broke and thats the reason why I'm buying a new one). Furthermore, how safe/comfortable are those eartips? I've heard that the isolation you get from them is tremendous but it seems like it would be a pain putting them in and out repeatedly.

They have too much bass.
>ywn sit around and get drunk with cute Nipponese cakes

what headphones are these?

Shure SE215 owner here, you should never buy any headphone or iem that doesn't have a detachable cable in my opinion (unless what you're buying is pretty cheap). That's why I've been able to keep the same iems for the past 5 years. They're decently comfortable, but you will notice some discomfort after 2+ hours of listening (but then again you should be keeping iems in your ear for that long). The isolation is tremendous, if you're gonna be using these while walking/running outside a lot I wouldn't recommend them. They're a little bit annoying to put on at first but that should go away soon after you buy them. They're perfect for what i listen to (drum and bass/ambient/techno) but they're definitely not neutral, they have an emphasis on bass which turns some people off.

Cool, I probably won't mind the bass. Also, I was doing some research on the se215 and it seems that reddit is circle jerking around how outdated they are.

google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://amp.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7b1j7z/shure_se215_seem_to_no_longer_be_recommend_on_here/&ved=2ahUKEwiA85ffsIbZAhVCeKwKHViGAn0QFjABegQIExAB&usg=AOvVaw1XijNboFZI3_I6hB8nJ41X&cf=1

Is there any truth to this or is this just reddit being reddit?

Is this the show where they made fun of audiophiles?

i want an el dac and el amp just to engrave it but i already have a schiit stack and i don't know what i would put
i was considering those but i ended up getting westone um pro 10s. theyre pretty neutral sounding and very comfortable.
>ear dildos

Engraving is cool, but honestly skip the EL stack and get yourself some STAX instead. If you get a good deal you can get a pro bias amp + earspeaker + new pads for less than the EL stack.

I don't think they're outdated at all, I have a buddy of mine who does professional level mastering and he still uses his SE215s whenever he hits the gym. A lot of the alternatives reddit will post are either a) chink shit or b) cheaper shit without a detachable cable. I bought into some of what the audio community was saying about the SE215s and decided to buy VSonic GR07 just to see how they'd compare. The isolation from the 215s is something you will come to miss a lot. I could hear so much outside noise that it was hard to even enjoy the music i was listening to. And guess what, after a month the cable fucked up and stopped working, $100 down the drain. And this is coming from a guy who takes very good care of all the electronics I own. I highly recommend the SE215s and still haven't found another pair of IEMs that are as good as them (nor will last you as long) in the sub $150 dollar price range.

thoughts on SHP9500 vs m40x?

do you want an open or closed headphone?

> you will notice some discomfort after 2+ hours of listening
while i haven't tried any shures yet but i had this problem with other iems. my ears would hurt after an hour or so but ever since i got some um pro 10s they've been fine. i wore them for about 6 hours today albeit at low volume and my wears didn't hurt

yeah i'll consider that. thanks dude

I'm mostly using at home so i guess it doesn't matter if sound leaks, have never used open tho, what's the difference sound-wise?

like the difference between the hd600 and a STAX. it will make the former seem incompetent and muddy

>like the difference between the hd600 and a STAX
Yeah, STAX's bass impact and rollercoaster treble really are that bad.

bass impact is a dynamiclet codeword for harmonic distortion

they literally can't compete, it's just a fact

Yes, I agree that dynamiclets are pretty sad. They will never know the joy of the HD600, the best headphones in the world.

True. Why bother with headphones when earspeakers exist though.

>he doesn't own MDR-MA900, the best earspeakers in the world

MA900 can't even compete with the HD650

You are correct. They literally cannot compete because they are earspeakers, not headphones, and as such neither model can compete with the other.

Nope, it can't compete cause it's a shrimpdick whitebo-er I mean shrimpdick voltage dynamiclet.

tfw 600 owners forget they can't even compete with the ma900 much less stax

You're using the let meme wrong. I thought you'd have figured that out after but no, you're just that daft.
An Xlet is someone without X. Thus, a dynamiclet is someone without dynamics.

Hold up, he doesn't own HD600s. In fact, he doesn't own anything!

shit you're absolutely correct
it's fine, whether someone has a dynamic or not is inconsequential. the only thing that matters is if you have an ear speaker. you clearly don't even own headphones

>dynamiclets are too dumb to use the word dynamiclet properly
The absolute state of STAXfags.

Man, all of this shrimpdick frustration. Must be tough being absolutely unable to compete with the BBS.

Idol trash here. Took an aspirin, slept 10h, still feeling confused, FML.
But not bad enough to forget asking... what's your setup like, user?

you okay buddy?

No. Brain not really working. Stand up, almost lose balance and feel like I'll fall, mind somewhat clouded. Drinking water didn't solve it. Coffee didn't solve it. Food didn't solve it. Aspirin didn't solve it and 10h sleep only make it a little better, but I'm still mildly confused.

Peak r*ddit

do you have any ear problems that could be causing vertigo? stress related? flu?

Low blood salt is the first thing that comes to mind.

low magnesium can cause it too. there's a lot of things

Hope ya don't die

Either way, loss of balance is an emergency.

Happened to me a couple days ago after I ate a bunch of hot pockets. Got better after a day or two though.

>loss of balance is an emergency.
that's only an issue with the HD600. STAX amps have a dual knob to correct for channel imbalances if needed

>flu
No other symptoms.
>stress related
I have less workload than usual, although I'm starting some hellish project that will take several weeks today.
>ear problems
My hearing seems ok, not having one blocked ear or any such nonsense.
>low blood salt
Food I ate should have provided some decent amounts of sodium and glucose (lunch was supermarket sandwich at 13h, aspirin 15h, "dinner" at 17h30m was microwaved rice + can of sardine once home, then took vitamin supplement pill and went to bed around 19:30, got up 5:30).

you're worse than a tripfag

I would never have promoted Stax if I knew this behaviour would emerge.

How embarrassing

you should make yourself feel better by buying a headphone, preferably one that is japanese made

Go to ER/urgent care, silly goose.

>hd600
I haven't touched them for a while. Been using msr7 this past two weeks.
Balance thing only happened a couple times yesterday, right after getting up from chair. Low blood pressure maybe?

Feeling somewhat better right now. Good enough to play my idol games. And in a couple hours, I have to go to work. It's not bad enough to call sick, and it's Friday. I only need to make it through the day...

that ship has long sailed my friend
>Low blood pressure maybe?
probably. I used to have my vision blackout for 5-10 seconds whenever I would get up from lying down when I was dieting heavily

Sigh, on top of that AMD and QQQ went down. Damn.
Bah, they'll go up again. Switches cables around, now set up for idols.

how much should i spend on the go for IEMs? Listening to these and its garbage desu

>>>>/csg/

I just picked up a pair of sennheiser PC 37X headphones i ordered online and i'm having trouble getting them set up (this is my first pair of non-usb headphones)
I have it plugged into the gpu jack and i'm not getting any bass sound when i do the 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound test. Is there something wrong or should i just be using stereo/quadraphonic?

I get some support from umi. She's worried I might get a cold.
Thanks.

KZ ZS3 is the cheapest you can go while still having something decent. It's nowhere near neutral or anything like that, but it doesn't sound like garbage like lowest-end IEMs from corps like sony. around $15 to $20 bucks for these. There's the KZ ZS5 too for between $30 to $40 which are a bit more neutral particularly on the bass. And then there's quite a massive jump in quality at around 60 to 70 dollars : Etymotic MC5.

You got scammed. Gaming headsets are always more expensive than their worth in sound quality and you could just have gotten a modmic to add to a non gaming headset.

problem is my old gaming headset (gamecom 780) is much higher quality even though the specs are inferior to the pc37x.

PC37X is only $120, dummy. Open-back, 558/598 drivers, high quality mic, no surround sound gimmick

np

how about this?

>558/598 drivers
This is where one can notice ignorance. Enclosure has a deep effect on sound, just even the act of changing earpads or using aged, flattened ones can do it. 558 drivers in a shit can is meaningless.

With that said I guess my point is a little less valid for muhricans, looking at HD559 prices on your amazon it's $130 for you, whereas it's only 80 euros (VAT included) here..

HD559 or (ideally) HD579 + a modmic would be a lot more expensive, yes

So I plugged them into my front jack. Seems like thats the main one because now the bass channels work.

Why do headphones cost so much

Like once you go past $200 or so there's no way the materials cost more than that to create them