How did you learn a new language? What method was the best for you? I'm using Duolingo and watching Daredevil in French...

How did you learn a new language? What method was the best for you? I'm using Duolingo and watching Daredevil in French, but I have stagnated a little, I can understand about 60% percent of the subtitles but I can't listen for shit. My pronunciation is good but I find it very hard to form sentences from scratch.

I learned Spanish whilst in school and it didn't do me any good, when I got out of Primary School I started banging out and playing Soccer with some of the Mexicans at my University and that really helped my Spanish.

learn Esperanto :^)

That's called "football"

All languages I've ever learnt came by going to classes. Having a guide makes it way easier imo as he simply guives you shortcurts.
Some may say it's a waste of money but self-study simple doesn't work for me.

This is now /lang/ thread.

Anyone here use clozemaster.com?

I actually learned English on my own as a kid playing videogames, unfortunately learning English first made me lazy, I never had any "need" to learn a new language, or so I thought.

Is it good?

Keep at it. You'll keep improving. For some perspective, I started watching South Park in French in June. Initially, I only understood a couple of sentences or phrases in an episode. Now I understand a good 80% of what's being said. Make a list of words you don't understand, so you can look them up later. That helps a lot.

Not used it enough to make an accurate comment but so far it looks google.

Damn thanks for reminding me of South Park, I need to rewatch the last season.

Anyone here using Anki?

yeah, I´m going to agree with this, though I am still studying spanish right now.

Each day I´m surprised at just how bad I realize I am (because you are getting better each day in ways you can´t easily observe OR predict), but I´m also always surprised at what I caught without thinking about it.

I´m just trying to keep my head down and get it done.

If you're learning any language other than English or Mandarin, then you're wasting your time.

I watched anime.

fuck off

If you are learning spanish, pls dont use google and use spanishdict.com.
Way better for compounds, though you should have some basic knowledge so sentences don't sound foreign.

Anyone studying German? I've been trying to find some german dubs in Netflix but there is literally zero

Lets say im B2 in Chinese. How much Japanese does that buy me? Would it half the time it takes to learn Japanese or is the relationship not that close?

Doesn't Netflix allow proxies?

you won't have to relearn the meaning of most 漢字(like 手紙), but you do have to use traditional or the Japanese simplified characters(鐵 -> 铁 - 鉄)
you do have to learn how to read them as that doesn't have much to do with modern Chinese
and the grammar is nothing like Chinese
So I guess not that much

and with the reading, there are at least 2 ways
to read most characters depending on the word

like 行列, 進行, 行脚, where the 行 is "gyou", "kou" and "an" which are readings taken from Chinese around 9th century or so
and the verbs 行く and 行う which are "iku" and "okonau"

so I guess it helps a bit, but not as much a layman would expect

the 手紙 was supposed to be an example of different meanings between Chinese and Japanese

That's a shame. I'm not super interested in either language but if learning one significantly helped learning the other i'd probably take the plunge.