ITT: Tech Lies

ITT: Tech Lies

Other urls found in this thread:

eff.org/deeplinks/2017/06/isps-across-country-tell-chairman-pai-not-repeal-network-neutrality
theverge.com/2017/7/13/15949920/net-neutrality-killing-small-isps
techdirt.com/articles/20180117/10282539021/mozilla-consumer-groups-sue-fcc-attack-net-neutrality.shtml
techdirt.com/articles/20180116/12520539013/22-state-attorneys-general-file-suit-against-fcc-net-neutrality-repeal.shtml
techdirt.com/articles/20171031/09320238517/verizon-lobbies-fcc-to-block-states-protecting-broadband-privacy-net-neutrality.shtml
thehill.com/policy/technology/370133-montana-becomes-first-state-to-implement-net-neutrality-rules-following-fcc
arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/01/california-senate-approves-net-neutrality-law-in-defiance-of-fcc/
techdirt.com/articles/20140916/12114928537/net-neutrality-is-not-government-takeover-internet-why-republicans-should-support-reclassification.shtml
techdirt.com/articles/20150313/05200530309/fcc-outlines-plan-to-crush-awful-state-protectionist-broadband-laws.shtml
techdirt.com/articles/20140308/06040526491/if-you-want-to-fix-us-broadband-competition-start-killing-state-level-protectionist-laws-written-duopolists.shtml
techdirt.com/articles/20140718/06533327927/level3-proves-that-verizon-is-absolutely-to-blame-netflix-congestion-using-verizons-own-data.shtml
e-cigarettes.surgeongeneral.gov/getthefacts.html
nccih.nih.gov/health/RA/getthefacts.htm
deq.virginia.gov/Resources/GettheFacts.aspx
cdc.gov/actagainstaids/campaigns/lsht/getthefacts.html
youtu.be/FvT9krxbBEo?t=79
blog.1407.org/2014/11/22/i-dont-want-that-netneutrality-obama/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

1. The internet as we know it would die when the FCC repealed government regulated net neutrality.

2. Meltdown and Spectre would affect the average user in any noticeable way.

>4K TVs are worth it
We virtually have no 8K content (ie native 4K video).

Linux is a complete operating system.

Small ISPs and competition are hurt by net neutrality.

>Mark Jen, the chief technical officer of a small internet provider named Common, which was founded last year by a group of former Square employees, said that complying with net neutrality doesn’t require any work.

>“The default configuration of all of the [networking] equipment is to [follow net neutrality],” Jen says. “While net neutrality sounds like rules and regulations, it’s actually just saying everybody has to run stuff in the default mode, which is as fast as possible and great for everybody.”

>Rudy Rucker, co-founder of another small wireless internet provider named Monkeybrains, said his company hadn’t encountered any difficulties either. “Maybe there’s something I’m missing,” he said, “but it’s not bogging us down.”

>Small ISPs haven’t received the never-ending complaints some have feared.

>Peggy Dolgenos, the co-founder and co-CEO of an ISP named Cruzio, said her company has been rapidly improving its equipment. “We’ve been upgrading our infrastructure as fast as we can,” she says. Her company currently has 35 employees and serves about 9,000 customers. “We’ve been investing like crazy. We’re about to invest in a really big local project to install fiber optic cable in our downtown.”

>Many smaller ISPs said they saw net neutrality as an advantage for their business, too. “If you’re looking at what companies will get paid by big providers like Netflix, it’s not smaller ISPs, it’s large ISPs who already have practically a monopoly position,” Dolgenos says. “They’ll just cement their position, and it’ll just crush competition.”

>Over 40 small ISPs wrote their own letter to the FCC last month requesting that net neutrality stay in place: eff.org/deeplinks/2017/06/isps-across-country-tell-chairman-pai-not-repeal-network-neutrality

theverge.com/2017/7/13/15949920/net-neutrality-killing-small-isps

I've never understood why people think that not prioritizing traffic requires effort from an ISP.

What's the lie? That he's holding Obama's 332-page plan to regulate the internet? That Obama made a 332-page plan to regulate the internet? That he wishes the public could see what's inside Obama's 332-page plan to regulate the internet? That he wishes the public could see what's inside the thing he holds that he calls Obama's 332-page plan to regulate the internet?

>The internet as we know it would die when the FCC repealed government regulated net neutrality.

maybe it's not dead yet, but the venom might very well be circulating in its veins already

Net neutrality is a measure to ensure a free market by forbidding artificially fabricated scarcity by ISPs.

HURR DURR POLTIICS IS G BECUZ INTERNET IS TECHNOGOLY
HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRR

All of the above?

>The internet as we know it would die when the FCC repealed government regulated net neutrality.
No, ISPs will be allowed to kill the internet without net neutrality. They'll do it if they think it will turn them a profit, but that doesn't mean they do it immediately.

Net neutrality is a tech issue. If you're for or against it for political reasons, whatever they may be, then you're plainly wrong and retarded.

US internet only.

Pai's plan is so much better
>200 pages

Only reason they haven't done much yet is because there are several lawsuits going on about reverting the repeal.

techdirt.com/articles/20180117/10282539021/mozilla-consumer-groups-sue-fcc-attack-net-neutrality.shtml

techdirt.com/articles/20180116/12520539013/22-state-attorneys-general-file-suit-against-fcc-net-neutrality-repeal.shtml

That is the Muslim My Kampf version.

There's a few states looking to enact their own laws regarding net neutrality as well.

Under Pai's ruling they can't though.

techdirt.com/articles/20171031/09320238517/verizon-lobbies-fcc-to-block-states-protecting-broadband-privacy-net-neutrality.shtml

Net Neutrality is a bandaid, how about stopping government from picking who can setup cable lines from who pays more

>1. The internet as we know it would die when the FCC repealed government regulated net neutrality.

Amen to this. I do nothing but smoke crack and cigarettes and eat jars of mayonaisse all day and I haven't died. Any bad effect that only acts slowly and isn't immediately obvious to a layperson doesn't actually exist. And it ESPECIALLY doesn't exist if there is a short-term effect that feels good -- as things like "free uncapped mobile data for youtube/netflix" and "your life problems feel insignificant after smoking crack" are!

Montana is requiring all ISPs in their state to follow net neutrality or they will not be allowed to do business in their state. They also created a template so other states can adopt the same policy and you can bet a lot of democratic states will.

thehill.com/policy/technology/370133-montana-becomes-first-state-to-implement-net-neutrality-rules-following-fcc

California is defying the FCC and enacting their own NN laws anyway

arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/01/california-senate-approves-net-neutrality-law-in-defiance-of-fcc/

Uhh, Triggered much?

Republicans hate state law the moment it goes against big businesses

Anything google is for i'm against.

>internet isn't technology
nice

Good sheep

>buy more botnet!

Very good well trained sheep

>California is defying the FCC and enacting their own NN laws anyway

Bunch of fraudsters.

They were also creating a "internet privacy" bill that regulated tech companies, and guess what, the bill never passed.

>the "enlightened" slave that doesn't know he's a slave.
toppest of keks.

>Trying to discuss politics on Sup Forums
Newfag get out
Also internet is technology idiot.

NN is part of a healthy internet. Competition between ISPs is another part (probably a more important part). The government should seize the infrastructure (tax paid for it anyway) and allow all ISPs on.

>The government should seize
good sheep

Everyone's a sheep. I actually arrived at that conclusion through my own intellect. It's the best method to reach the goals I formulated. My goals were based on cultural influences, just like everyone else's.

>I actually arrived at that conclusion through my own intellect.

This was a mistake.

Linux is just a kernel

That revoking net neutrality would affect the end consumer at all. It's scary what happens when media companies like Google and Facebook want you to think something.

>nothing bad happened yet so its fine
let me guess, you think global warming is a hoax too, right?

>free uncapped mobile data for youtube/netflix

You mean Zero-rating, which is 100% allowed under US AND the European Union NN laws?

Global warming IS a hoax though, only Americans believe it. No one in civilised countries does.

hello fellow anons

Everything the USA does, trickles down to your shithhole countries.
You really dont understand how many things are hosted in the USA, do you?
Why would we prioritized international traffic when we can throw you on to the low priority lane and you get 50 kbps, while the USA gets the main pipes?

>Everyone's a sheep. I actually arrived at that conclusion through my own intellect

>Everything the USA does, trickles down to your shithhole countries.

If that were the case, Euro nations wouldn't have highly censored internet.

ez (you)s

That revoking net neutrality wouldn't affect the end consumer at all. It's scary what happens when ISP companies like Comcast and AT&T want you to think something.

>I was merely pretending to be retarded
Sure thing buddy

No, I wasn't pretending. Still ez (you)s.

Yes, its the perfect example of an erosion to NN that already existed because the short-term benefit is immediate and much easier to understand than the long-term detriment.

You've got it the wrong way round famalam, the rest of the civilised world accepted global warming in the 80s. The US and the rest of the third world are only now starting to accept it.

Well, they don't so whats your point?

This is what happens when you let the government regulate anything.
You open up a can of worms, meanwhile the administration flip-flops on the criteria of regulation, as the regulations get more complicated and more extreme in either direction.

He's probably talking about the "Youth gets arrested for racist remarks on twitter" aspect of European countries.

does it not occur to you that free access to these services is also a long term benefit to a lot of people that have a hard time paying for a more complete internet service, which would cost more without the "erosions" to NN you hate?

Yes, Euros can be arrested for posting opinions on Twitter.

They also do in fact have heavily censored internet which is why you can't TPB or other torrent sites on many Euro ISP's. They also censor "hate" websites and videos on YT.

oh no the internet is dead now. so when does it officially shutting down? I heard the FCC was launches missiles at satellites soon but I couldn't find a date

This guy gets it. The only libertarian position is being pro-NN.

except that pro-NN has been redefined to mean pro government control of the internet

Inform yourself.
techdirt.com/articles/20140916/12114928537/net-neutrality-is-not-government-takeover-internet-why-republicans-should-support-reclassification.shtml

"Natural monopolies"

Yes.... it's so easy to have a "Natural monopoly" when the city council of your given city literally declares you are the only company allowed to offer cable/internet within city limits.

That's a nice red herring, but one that can be easily tackled with some more reading...
techdirt.com/articles/20150313/05200530309/fcc-outlines-plan-to-crush-awful-state-protectionist-broadband-laws.shtml
techdirt.com/articles/20140308/06040526491/if-you-want-to-fix-us-broadband-competition-start-killing-state-level-protectionist-laws-written-duopolists.shtml

>a regulation is a measure to ensure a free market

>reddit spacing
fuck off

linux is a kernel

You're a dumb phoneposter complaining because the extra spacing is fucking up your formatting in your tiny phone screenlet. Don't pretend this is about reddit.

Try again, redditor.

3. The Equifax security breach was is major and will put millions of Americans at risk of identity theft.

>ez
Is this a reddit meme?

>free netflix included in an overpriced internet plan makes the internet more affordable

>I don't know how the Internet works: The Post
Tech illiterates please refrain from posting.

Yes, regulations are sometimes needed to ensure a fair and competitive market. What's more important: Comcast's freedom to abuse their monopoly or the freedom for anyone to enter and compete in the market and the freedom of consumers to choose the best product for the lowest price?

techdirt.com/articles/20140718/06533327927/level3-proves-that-verizon-is-absolutely-to-blame-netflix-congestion-using-verizons-own-data.shtml

Top definition
ez
another way of spelling Easy.
meaning take it easy, usually used for a farewell
Gangsta: Yo im bouncin muh fucka
Thug: eZ
by memphis August 16, 2003

Did you see the > and the green text used to indicate my post was a quote (and rephrase) of the post I responded to?
(I've been spamming this thread so hard, the captcha actually made me do a picture thing.)

>knowing what reddit spacing is
you have to go back

>knowing what reddit is
what are we talking about?

You must be new to Sup Forums. That arrow (called the "meme arrow") isn't for what you think it is. It actually is used to indicate irony, my friend.

microsoft.com/getthefacts

4. The Equifax security breach was almost nothing and America will be dumbstruck when there is a real security breach (mental health records, medical records, credit card charges, income levels)

>/getthefacts

Hmmm...

e-cigarettes.surgeongeneral.gov/getthefacts.html

nccih.nih.gov/health/RA/getthefacts.htm

deq.virginia.gov/Resources/GettheFacts.aspx

cdc.gov/actagainstaids/campaigns/lsht/getthefacts.html

No it isn't a tech issue. Wether the government woiuld allow certain businesses to be run freely or not is not a tech issue

Literally pic related but instead of "fire my workers" read "deliberately congestion your traffic in order to extort more money from you".

>does it not occur to you that free access to these services is also a long term benefit to a lot of people that have a hard time paying for...

It did but I correctly identified that as a short-term benefit. You will not have the innovative competing services that would have more effectively improved those peoples lives and indeed the market as a whole. Even with a cheaper and superior product, most will fail against zero-rated competitors before they become large enough to pay for zero-rating themselves.

I stand behind my statement - laypeople do not understand the long-term detriment and instead focus on the short-term benefits. It's a pattern as old as humanity itself.

G-George Soros? Is that you?

>Everyone's a sheep. I actually arrived at that conclusion through my own intellect
I agree with your sentiment. Here's why:
youtu.be/FvT9krxbBEo?t=79

It's preparing to. Cable companies are already working to undermine your freedom online. Enjoy being cucked.

>Implying

He's in the mirror.

It's still not a tech issue.

>1. The internet as we know it would die when the FCC repealed government regulated net neutrality.

This. We'll be just fine in blue states who enforce local NN laws while the Trumpledytes get nickle and dimed off the internet in red states. Everything turned out better than expected.

>Comcast's freedom to abuse their monopoly
Conservitives will defend this

blog.1407.org/2014/11/22/i-dont-want-that-netneutrality-obama/

I got a 4k tv 120hrtz because it was marginally more than a 1080p one. Looks great

>720-1080 media upscaled to 4k looks great

lolok

social conservatives are scum

what did he mean by this

Go read the definition of an operating system

It doesn't, but you have to consider who would benefit from the throttling in whichever case