Technology retail jobs requires experience?

I work a manual labor job to put myself through school and I fucking hate it. It's monotonous, cold, and they expect way more of you than the pay would imply. It pays a good bit more than minimum wage, but it's not worth the unhappiness it brings me. I want to leave it asap. I've been looking for a retail position in a computer store. But the job listing specify they want 1-2 years of sales, computer retail and cash handling experience. It's a fucking bog standard computer store that pays minimum wage. They shouldn't be able to demand shit. Why is this a thing?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=d7aWla3cwNg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Why is this a thing?
Because nobody is beating the living fuck out of these dirty yids and old fucks that run these stores and telling them no. It's jews and boomers that have made the economy shit by having minimum wage positions open and expecting a resume from the fucking tooth fairy, then getting all indignant when nobody they like shows up. I work for the US DoL and I can tell you that every goddamn time I investigate any kind of retail store or restaurant that doesn't pay their employees jack shit, it's always one of God's Chosen People (TM) or some 60 year old faggot screeching and throwing a tism fit about how kids these days are lazy for being able to bend over backwards seven different ways while reciting their favorite book from memory. Every single time. I absolutely hate jews and old people because of it.

Just stay where you are.

This is what a friend in a manager position once told me:
>open new pc hardware store
>"let's do things different" attitude
>hire people without experience to show tolerance
>welcome everyone, even give chances to people without any education
>hardware vanishes, money disappears
>jamal dindunuffin
>regret believing in uneducated people
>set a tiny barrier to filter all the trash

why hire you, when there is someone more qualified?

Because that more qualified person should be getting a higher paid position than min wage retail monkey. All they're doing is shifting the ladder down for their own financial gain

>Why is this a thing?
They need to know you're not a thief. If you worked retail before, they will check your previous employer about your track record. It's common requirement in retail for anything more valuable than groceries.

I managed to get my current job with zero experience and everyone I work with is fantastic, but corporate makes everyone's lives miserable. They tracks every move you make, and try to squeeze everything out of you. It's fucking ridiculous that anyone puts up with it and it's draining. I'm sick of it. There has to be at least one other employer in my area that isn't a cunt. I was also looking for jobs in parts departments at dealerships.

It's that fucking bullshit cycle though. Barrier to entry for minimum wage? Either pay more or get a hiring manager with an ounce of instinct so he doesn't hire thieves.

what said

I think people need to demand compensation for what they're really worth, so they can free up the bottom shit. This only works because people agree to it.

Point is.
It's still worth a shot. Send your application, just don't be a monkey.
They just want to see that you know shit, speak like a human being and can handle cash.

I still thinks that's bullshit. I've never worked retail, but I handle tens of thousands of dollars worth of product every work day without a manager physically there looking over my shoulder. I shouldn't have to bag groceries for a year to prove that I'm trustworthy.

>tons of government funded programs to teach kids STEM just for nobody to want to hire them when they finish because of people like this
Why can't they understand that by refusing people without experience within several decades they will run out of people with it since they refused to hire any noobies who all went to other fields? Why aren't you faggots addressing this? There should be a tax cut for hiring noobs or some shit.

Life ain't always fair, you gotta deal. Or find a workaround. Nepotism overrides most hiring requirements.

Maybe I'm old school, but I've tried the in person thing. Introduce myself, show initiative, try to set myself apart from the stack of papers, and they won't have it. All these chains either accept online applications only or they outsourced their hiring to some third party agency that also only accepts online applications. I gotta throw myself in with the other 10,000 stacks of paper they receive for a job that pays peanuts. I only managed to land my current job because the company I work for hires internally, and my friend got my foot in the door. I'll always be grateful for that, but it's just not a good fit for me.

Because who the fuck doesn't have job experience by 18? My first job I was 16 dont be such a fucking retard

>calls me a retard
I'm taking about professional experience not a fucking supermarket you mouth breather.

I'm on the verge of saying "Fuck all this" and joining the army to have them pay for my school, and have guaranteed employment for at least a few years, albeit at lower pay than a private sector job.

Wow you must be actually retarded, jobs are easy as fuck to get you're probably just some fat faggot who can't talk to people while looking them in the eye, I bet you shake hands like a woman too.

I was going to do that but rejected because my parents told me to get on ADHD meds or live on the streets. There's sick opportunities once you get out too and tax cuts for hiring vets. Do it, I wish I did.

They probably just exaggerate as a matter of course in order to keep the trashest of the scum out. Just go and apply and see what they say; you have nothing to lose.

>calls anyone else retarded
>doesn't know when to end a sentence

No need to be angry because you're wrong. What are your qualifications btw? I bet you're going to say they're much more than what they are and LARP to feel better about yourself but shoot. Most likely you aren't worth shit.
t. 23 year old who has had one full time and one contract professional position

>he called me a faggot better go for his grammar
Oh no a comma splice!
Maybe if you spent more time talking to people and not being a faggot on the internet somebody would actually love you

>Barrier to entry for minimum wage?
It's only because of minimum wage that there aren't any properly priced jobs to the people they want to filter out.

>and is an anime poster

I'm a professional shitposter I make $120 an hour to shit on faggots like you, also an SE on the side

apply to best buy in computing department. you’re gonna make like $9.50 in most states or around $12-14 if you’re in a decent sized area on a coast
they say they require experience but they literally do not give a shit
then, after a year, apply to be a consultation agent at geek squad. being in computers for a year is enough for them to consider you qualified to do that job since they mostly consider it a sales job, you’ll be the dude at the window talking to people and figuring out what the issue is
then as soon as one opens up, apply to be the repair agent in the back actually doing the repairs
within 2-3 years you should be making about $12 if you’re in a flyover state or $16-18 if you’re in aforementioned coastal areas

>complaining about anime on an anime imageboard
wew lad

>he didn’t just lie about never having been diagnosed with ADHD
lmao
literally everybody in the military does this, and if your recruiter didn’t coach you on how to do this he was shit

Sup Forums isnt an anime board you fucking weeb

>I-I'm not a loser I swear!
Man this is the motivation I needed. Whenever I feel down I remember there are people older than me who have wasted their lives way worse than I have. Hell laughing at you has gotten me so over the slump I was in today. I'm going to go work out I feel so much better about it. Thanks!

I'm in Canada. I make $17 Canuck-Bux an hour and minimum wage is now $14/hour.

I can give that a shot, but I was trying to avoid normie tech stores like Best Buy. The customers seem like much less of a pain in the ass at specialty computer stores, but what would I know? I've never worked in one.

newfags need to leave

highly dependent on area
getting jobs is very easy once you have your foot in the door or have a degree
I’ve been financially independent since I was 18 and had to pay my way through college while living on my own, getting started was fucking difficult. I had to slave away at geek squad while paying a stupid amount of money for bullshit CompTIA certs for a couple of years before a real IT place would consider me despite the fact that I consistently aced technical interviews.
If you’re working on a degree already internships with whatever big corporate entity in your area are pretty easy to get and provide real work experience but if they pay at all they pay like shit, making them unfeasible for someone like me who actually needs to pay for their school

>make $27/h doing absolutely nothing for 90% of my day
>manager is quitting soon and I know the company is going to offer promotion
how do I decline without giving them an excuse to get rid of me?

this is why I've never worked for a shit big company like this.
they expect you to be grateful to work there and to act accordingly, but really they're just there to force labor out of you and if that makes you miserable in the process, who the fuck cares because they don't have to talk to you anyway. you're just another name and employee id number that they have never spoken aloud or even read on paper.
to everyone in that's not actually present in the store, you're a piece of trash faceless , may as well be nameless, slave that needs to fucking work harder because you're a lazy fuck.

but they don't dare tell you this
they aren't stupid
they put together bonus systems and other incentives to get you to work overtime and be more productive during work hours, while neglecting your home life and wasting away both mentally and physically so you can make the CEO a few more dollars
I could go on for pages, but my point is, I know the owner of my company's name. I speak to him every day, we get along. if I'm having problems or sick or tired or anything, I take the day off and it's understood why. I don't mark down that I have now used one of my precious sick days or anything else that dehumanizes workers and makes them pawns with certain privileges, no. I just take the day off, and I show up the next day. I do good work because I'm not treated like shit and I make the company lots of money, and am more than happy to do so.

Good on you user, people don't realize how hard you actually have to work to be successful if you weren't lucky or smart enough to get ahead early in life

Working for a smaller company can be a double edged sword though. I have a friend who works for a decent sized regional company and his boss is the owner of the company. By all accounts, he's a good man. He's let my friend borrow his car, he's told his employees "If a customer is being unreasonable you can say "I don't get paid enough to deal with this."

But then there's the company owner that won't give you lunch breaks, and if you protest, he'll find any reason to fire you and then you're unemployed and have little recourse to claim you were fired illegally.

if your local best buy has an apple shop (looks like this, has a dedicated apple employee assigned to it) literally just hang out in there all day. the people who come over to you generally will be much more pleasant, and if you consistently sell a lot of apple shit the apple dude will be your friend (he makes commission off every apple sale in the store regardless of whether or not he’s working) and bring decent customers to you

thats when you anonymously report them to the labor department in your state and then they get fucked cause it's federal and state law they're breaking

This. Its a bitch to get your foot in the door, but once you get a few jobs or projects done then the floodgates start opening, although it does take time. I was in the IT Field about 2-3 years before I started to get better paying work, and I am now at the point where I am making a decent amount per hour and doing some fairly major projects for major companies. Once I was done with my last project, I literally received 3 different offers and all were fairly high paying and pretty serious.

Hell, it gets to a point where outside security stuff and some of the extremely high paying jobs, you don't even needs certs once you get some decent experience. Certs are pretty much to get your foot in the door and for HR to gloat and say that they hired "X Certified" person.

I don’t know if this is what he’s talking about but my experience with the kind of shit he’s talking about is them scheduling everyone for 6.5hr-7.25 hour shifts which are just under the legal requirement for a lunch break but long enough to cause you to miss both mealtimes
it’s great

yea. overall the moral is to stay away from shitty people.
I find this easier to do in a small company.

The Best Buys near me do have those. I'll look into that.

actually in most states you are not required to be given a single break for any reason, let alone a paid break in the morning and afternoon like lots of companies do

Well in my state if you work more than 5 hours you are required a lunch break legally

>Why is this a thing
because people at HR (the ones that make these job ads) don't know shit about the job that they are advertising.
HR holocaust when?

My job schedules me for 8 hour shifts and essentially kicks me out when the work is finished. I never get 8 hours. Ironically statutory holidays are the days I get payed most because I'm actually paid for 8 hours.

>They tracks every move you make, and try to squeeze everything out of you
Profit over people is one of the main factors contributing to the economic decline here in the US. The dumb r*dditors on Sup Forums and /bant/ will tell you that the economy is improving but it really isn't. Any improvements made are just slowing our descent into another crash, and this next time we'll all be in bread lines. It'll be worse than the housing bubble and maybe even worse than the great depression, especially with the massive amounts of jobs that have and will continue to be outsourced. A hundred years ago you couldn't outsource all this shit to chinks and poos like you can now. Current business practices are not sustainable economically, environmentally, or socially. The sheer amounts of materialism and selfishness and utter disregard for our fellow man makes this one of the worst times to be alive, with only the suffering induced by the black plague being worse than this. People have become so distant and uncaring and it's truly disgusting. There's a reason why so many people are doing drugs and offing themselves. The boomer Republicans and the insane Marxist Democrats and their two party circlejerk are to blame for this mess. I hope they all go to hell.

>Why aren't you faggots addressing this?
I would if I could but I have no choice but to follow the law. The same boomers and kikes that pull this shit are buddies with more boomers and kikes in congress and other areas of the government. As a government employee, all I can do is fill out the paperwork that gets slapped in front of me and enjoy some of the benefits I get from being a government employee. Any changes to our policies or the way we enforce things is entirely dependent upon the retarded bureaucrats that do nothing but shit their pants and argue among themselves about the best way to toy with people's lives this month. These are the same idiots that want to let illegals stay in the country.

>I work a manual labor job to put myself through school and I fucking hate it
listen, fatty, give it another month and your body will adjust

>HR holocaust when?
never, the human resources department is an excellent way to bring in minority women to your workforce and companies will never give that kind of diversity numbers bump away

I was a provincial level track athlete in highschool. I still don't want to be working a manual labor job and sweating in the cold for someone else.

Revolution when?

Soon, I hope.

never. believe it or not most people are content with their lives so long as the are comfortable and don't really have to worry about anything. That's someone else's job.

Protip: Nobody gives a shit about your tech skilzz. They are ONLY interested in if you are good as a sales person. You have to sit a test usually for them to know. The test is quite convulted and you cannot always tell what they are asking unless you are a scumbag.

The problem is that people are not comfortable and are worrying now more than they ever have. Almost everyone these days is unhappy with their lives. You know that pretty girl on the bus that looks happy as she taps away at her phone? She probably goes home and cries herself to sleep every night because even the roasties know that nobody will like their shitty social media photos if they weren't caked in makeup and in a very specific pose. You'll try to tell me otherwise but you need to understand that you're being fed a false version of reality through the media you consume.

Life ProTip: Everybody shits, everybody bleeds, everybody sweats, and life is and always will be messy, brutal, disgusting, and imperfect. You are a bipedal mammal living on a rock in the middle of nothing, orbiting a star that gives off just enough heat and light to keep you from freezing to death in the cold dark space, and you think in your hubris that everyone is happy. No faggot, they act happy because it's what's socially acceptable.

>No faggot, they act happy because it's what's socially acceptable.
I want off this ride

You know the way out.

>I want off this ride
The ride never ends. You can kill yourself or strap in and hold on for dear life, cunt. Make your choice.

Can't you be happy by not giving a fuck about anything ? It seems to have worked for me, provided I'm not missing on some third-degree delusion.

You aren't doing that if you're still on Sup Forums, or if you still wear clothes or live in a house. You obviously haven't gone full Diogenes if you aren't jerking it in public and drinking out of streams.

youtube.com/watch?v=d7aWla3cwNg

I work at a dealership if you are going to get a job in the parts department you are going to want to work the counter. Either for the customers or the technicians.

That is what I had in mind, simply because that's the only part I see when I'm in a dealership. Could you elaborate on why that's the most desirable job in that department?

I don't know if you're still here OP but I have some advice for you. I've been in the work force for 10 years now doing a variety of things including retail. The best piece of advice I have for you before applying and interviewing for these shitty positions is:

Install Gentoo.

First things first, corporations do not care about their employees. Full stop. Sales floor level employees (and arguably their supervisors up to lower management) are simply parts of a corporate machine that upper management pulls the levers of. You replace bad parts of a machine, you replace bad parts of your workforce. What costs more; employee benefits and higher wages, or minimum wage and high turnover? I can give you a hint: its benefits.

I've had a few times in my life where this has been directly shown to me. One time when I was a floor level manager, I was discussing with my boss (assistant GM) what would happen if I didn't do a task well enough or to their liking. She told me flat out "we would find someone who could." No talk of an improvement plan or corrective action, simply replace the bad part.

Another time was as a pizza delivery driver. Another driver got in an accident that involved a pedestrian fatality. The acting manager called the store owner to tell him about the accident. The manager said that our driver was okay, but the owner cut him off and said "I don't give a fuck about the driver, is the pedestrian okay?" I don't give a fuck about the driver, that sentence means the owner literally did not care a single ounce in his body about the health and well-being of one of his employees. That applied to all of us. We all knew he didn't care but at least pretend that you do.

Thanks. I'll really take that to heart.

I would rather kill myself than work in retail.
The pay is just compensation for the life they drain from you.

That's my current situation anyways. At least I'll be warm and dry in retail.

>walks up to you
>no greeting, just a shriek of "can I get some customer service, PLEASE?"
>Okay ma'am what can I do for you
>I come here all the time why don't you know what I want?
>I'm not a mind reader ma'am
>get thing
>go to register
>what do you mean I can't use this coupon? So what if its expired, its not my fault!
>I want to speak to your manager. What is your full name?

I fucking hate retail.

It's also the women that like to be your boss, even though they're not

You're a stronger man than I.

Yes. Even if overall happiness is declining most people still live in ignorant bubbles and barely think what the next day will bring or they simply do not care/think anything bad will actually happen. We've gone through a long period of peace with huge amounts of (unsustainable) growth and it's now reached it's peak. We now have a massive health care and pension deficit thanks to all the Boomer's that are going to live to 100. Just think that you're breaking your back and struggling to earn a living all so some crusty old fart with dementia can sit in a chair and have a nurse on call for when he inevitable shits himself.

Yes. Even if overall happiness is declining most people still live in ignorant bubbles and barely think what the next day will bring or they simply do not care/think anything bad will actually happen. We've gone through a long period of peace with huge amounts of (unsustainable) growth and it's now reached it's peak. We now have a massive health care and pension deficit thanks to all the Boomer's that are going to live to 100. Just think that you're breaking your back and struggling to earn a living all so some crusty old fart with dementia can sit in a chair and have a nurse on call for when he inevitable shits himself.

And this is surprising to you? Caring about the dead person > some delivery driver

Owner didn't know he was dead yet. The pedestrian didn't die right away. Owner didn't know driver's condition either, driver also could have died.

I have a lump sum of cash, am I better off trying to bribe someone to hire my inexperienced uncharismatic ass or blowing it all on education and then hoping someone will hire my inexperienced and uncharismatic yet educated ass?

It's the way..

i sell phones for marketsource in Target. Its alright but I work in a low income area and its very hard to sell to people who cant afford what it is that youre selling. I have top 5 sales in the district however. No previous sales or tech experience

>wanting to leave a manly physical labor job for soulless retail hell
What the actual fuck is wrong with you? I worked demolition and construction for nine years and it is a thousand times better work than retail. Just get a better crew.

>don't hire blacks and obvious tweakers (skinny crackers with neck veins)
Problem solved.

>leave 'soulless' manual labor for a retail position just because muh compooters

>retail