/pcbg/ - PC Building General

News: Ryzen APUs will release on Feb. 12. The 2200G (99USD) and 2400G (169USD) are similar to the R3 1300X and R5 1500X respectively in cores/threads+clockspeed, but they have integrated graphics. The 2200G has 8 Vega CUs and the 2400G has 11 CUs, so they're in the same performance tier as the RX 550 (8CUs) or GT 1030.

=====

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-Desktop-Computer-580-068/dp/B076BXQDJZ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1517614809&sr=8-6&keywords=best gaming desktop&dpID=31xk2PxuHOL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
pcpartpicker.com/list/xCY3cc
pcpartpicker.com/list/kwBMf8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Are Videoseven(V7) monitors any good?

So, should I just forcefully twist it?

Looks to me like they were swapped during manufacturing
Yes, twisting them should be fine.

100% yes it will be fine to do that

Brainlet here from the last thread, does the USB need to be specifically bootable itself and not just an ISO saved to a USB?

>PC wouldn't start
>next day it started but died after a few minutes
>today I opened it up before starting it to see which fan was failing an causing overheating
>all fans spin up
>PC fine
I have never been happier in my life.

Got the 1500x here and some 3000MHz RAM, gotta wait till tomorrrow to try it tho, Ryzen packaging is nice.

Yeah, the stick has to be turned into a boot stick using something like Rufus. If you don't know that, don't try installing Win7 on Ryzen or Coffee

I must have watched a million videos and whenever anyone mentions installing from a USB they never ever mention it, even Googling it I had to specifically search for it.
Why not install W7 on Ryzen, is it because they don't do the automatic updates anymore? I've never used W10, but the W8 layout completely turned me off newer versions of Windows and then when W10 couldn't have been more of a botnet if it tried it turned me off even more. Would you suggest installing W10 and then running/installing whatever patch it is that makes it less of a spy tool?

Could someone recommend me a similar alternative to pic related? I want an arm with as little plastic as possible. My monitor (ASUS PG279Q) is too light for the gas spring in this so I can't move the top part of the arm down.

Simple solution is to buy some weights and use an adhesive to put them on the back of the monitor

>GT 1030
wowitsfuckingnothing.tiff

I've got an MSI 1080 ti on order for £700, which is decent considering the shit storm right now. It might be a while before I can get it because of the back log. I'm thinking of cancelling my order and then going for whatever is released, is that a better idea???

Just a friendly reminder that getting a refurbished office PC with a 3rd or 4th gen i5(i7 if you get a lucky find) and 8-16gbs of ram is the absolute best deal poorfags can get right now.

All you gotta do is throw in a low profile 1050ti.

Just wait.

Isn't that at MSRP? Even if it isn't the best option you could probably sell it for more.
Older generations have Xeon support/socket mods

I had actually thought about doing that, but with some weights attached in the cable routing slots. But an alternative option would be nice, too. Do VESA-shaped weights exist?

You're not wrong, but working in an office, I've had more fucking problems with HP motherboards and power supplies than I can throw a stick at. I haven't looked thoroughly into why, but it just seems like they're not validated to work with fucking ANYTHING outside of the parts they come installed with. Changing anything is a crapshoot.
As long as poorfags accept that they're getting a pretty shitty long-term experience, instead of posting about how awesome their cheap build is, then we good...

Probably not. If you can open it up, you might be able to put the weights inside the monitor for the most clean aesthetic.

Not an option. It's very thin as it is, and I'd rather not risk damaging anything.

APUs in 10 days!

Ergotron LX?

Is RX Vega M GL that GPU Intel is going to use in their mobile lineup? Holy shit.

Just built my new computer, everything is going smoothly and it works fine, except for the speakers. I plug the speakers into the Line Out jack in the back of the computer, and it's detected (when I remove it from the computer it also detects that there's no audio device), I can see it in the sound device manager, and it shows that sound is playing if I play a song, but I hear nothing. When I plug headphones into the front, it works completely fine. I tried plugging the speaker into the front, it didn't work. I don't imagine it's my speakers since they're brand new, but I don't have anything else to try it on. Any ideas?

Is there any kind of physical volume control on the speakers, buttons or a knob or something?

yeah, it's turned on. i dial it up and down every once in awhile just in case, but it is on. It clicks when you turn it right so you know sound should start to come out

what is the current hobo build for 2018?

atleast keep your shit facing upright

try plugging headphones into the back and try connecting your speakers to another device (phone, pmp, whatever) just to make sure the board isnt fucky.

You would get something better if you stole a PC from your local library
I am honestly not joking

Ryzen APU

That mounts to a wall. Has to mount to a table with C-Clamp.

weird, now that you mention it. plugged my headphones into the rear port and it worked completely fine, same as the front. tried plugging my speakers into the front again and then the rear and still nothing. are the speakers really fucked? they're definitely on, i'm turning the dial and it's recognized by the computer.

well im glad i didnt wait for ryzen apu's and just go ta 1st gen 1200, that's a disappointment

god dammit, i feel like a fool. sorry you were right,i forgot to plug in the adapter, it was only plugged into the computer. guess i'm dumb.

ergotron lx has also table mounts

The 2200G is literally a better version of the 1200 for the same price

Who the fuck would buy an apu

>Waiting a 6 month for your 200 extra mhz
And you guys complain about the intel 6%

Oh retards, understood

The same people who would buy the 1200 or 1400, along with people who don't want to buy video cards but also don't like Intel iGPUs.

It's funny how jews can easily manipulate you fags into buying shit just by drawing some anime character to represent their product.

Learn to have some fun.

hey friends, I'm not to confident in building my own PC, or I should say I am more interested in starting with a prebuild and upgrading it in the future.

I saw this amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-Desktop-Computer-580-068/dp/B076BXQDJZ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1517614809&sr=8-6&keywords=best gaming desktop&dpID=31xk2PxuHOL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch and wanted your opinions

The games I am interested in playing are Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, Dragon Ball Fighter Z, The Witcher 3, and Final Fantasy 15 (these seem like the kind of games that would be the most advanced to play)

What do you guys think?

It's alright, but the Ryzen 1400 build in the same page is a better deal.

find out what kind of motherboard/PSU it comes with (if you can), opt for the Ryzen 1400 since AM4 will last you longer and be better for any upgrades

>It's funny how jews can easily manipulate you fags into buying shit
Nothing wrong with the APUs; in fact there's no competing product from Intel.

Anyone who wants to build on AM4 but doesn't want to buy a graphics card yet
Anyone who wants to play old games

It's ok considering current RAM and graphics card prices
But the SSD is small, no upgrade path from the 7700
The case might be hard to work with

I see looking at the the Ryzen I might go with that

can I replace the SSD? I'm sorry I'm retarded when it comes to this stuff. I'm ok with getting a new case in the near future if it will work out, I guess I'll go with the Ryzen

Probably something with one of those new Pentiums.

I've got 2 storage drives on my computer but i'm getting another SSD, a samsung.
I forgotten what comes with it, do I need just a sata cable extra?

yes, the kikes never bundle that in.

if you want to double check just search for an unboxing video on youtube.

Couple questions about 1440p: how would a R5 1600 and a 1060 handle 1440p? And is there any issue with having a dual monitor setup with one 1440p and one 1080p?

>And is there any issue with having a dual monitor setup with one 1440p and one 1080p?
Do you realize how disconcerting this would be?

idk just wondering

i bought a gtx 1080 for 533 on black friday. haven't turned it on in 2 weeks. considering using it to mine shitcoins

You can always add another SSD and/or HDD (unless the board is pure shit it should have 6 SATA ports and maybe an M.2)
The 1060 would have to use medium settings to get consistent 60 fps in a lot of titles. I would consider it entry-level 1440p though. If you have a 1440p and 1080p monitor, Windows display scaling will make dragged windows look really weird and unpleasant.

Minor correction, meant to say 4 SATA ports. Some A320 may have less though so look out for that

Niggers I'm selling my old parts so I can get a PS4 and play MonHun.
I have an R9 280X, an M5A97 mobo, an FX 8320 (lol), and 8 gigs of ddr3 ram.
I am in Miami and spend most of my day at the MMC FIU campus. I will also consider trading some shit for a PS4.

You can run it just fine, but assuming you're going to run in extended desktop any windows that span the monitor space will be shifted in size really badly. Text and whatnot will also be different sizes on each. You can try to balance it out with windows scaling or whatever, but I don't think it'll work out well.

I used to run 2x 1080 screens, one 24" and one 27" and even that wasn't terrific to look at.

If you're going to go dual then get matching monitors. Pic related.

Royalty-free thunderbolt 3 motherboards when?

New Ryzen 2200G launches in February spend at $99 with built in graphics slightly better than the Nvidia 1030 and it can even run older games like Skyrim on high settings 1080p

Why not build a pc?

Because he wants to play monster hunter, didn't he say?

Paired a 970 with a 8320, good match?
I picked up the 970 for $150

>so they're in the same performance tier as the RX 550 or GT 1030
Holy shit, I'm not always very up to date with hardware news but that's pretty fucking decent for integrated graphics.

>intel 6%
More like 1%, we haven't gotten a decent performance boost from intel since fucking Haswell

Yeah except 7500 vs 8400 is 20% easy

>are similar to the R3 1300X and R5 1500X respectively in cores/threads+clockspeed, but they have integrated graphics.

So is it worth waiting for the R7 APU or just go with current R7?

Yeah I didn't read properly
Build it yourself user, there are a lot of turorials out there
pcpartpicker.com/list/xCY3cc
If possible go with this one
pcpartpicker.com/list/kwBMf8

>tfw can't decide whether to blow ~AUD$300-350 on upgrading fileserver/nas/router/transcoder box from 7850k to 2400G

Businesses who don't gaym, and don't want to deal with the performance loss from intel's recent crap.

Yeah I couldn't wait because I know it's gonna be a long time until they get here

>6 core chip performs better than a 4 core one
No shit Timmy, doesn't change the fact that in terms of IPC intels has gone practically nowhere in the past 5 years, and their clockspeed bumps haven't been that amazing either. 6 core chips aren't anything new, Intel's had them for awhile, they're just offering them for non-assrape prices now since AMD made them look bad.

cutey in the back. tfw no gf.

Their stock clock bumps have been great.
But you could have ~4.5ghz+ with Sandy Vag OC and IPC (for the featureset of SandyVag) hasn't moved at all since then.
Any performance outside of clockspeed on Intel has been the introduction of newer, more efficient/performant instructions (which of course will only affect software compiled with support for those instructions)

Ryzen actually has better IPC than Intel when you count out AVX (Intel wins out for 128bit AVX and trashes AMD when compiled for 256bit AVX2)
Also as an interesting tidbit, Piledriver and Steamroller were better at Integer (and ONLY integer math) math clock for clock than Sandy.

Nice I went for the same Ryzen but 2666mhz because 3000+ memory is really expensive where I'm from and the PC Mate instead

I have. I am just trying to get rid of my old parts since I upgraded to a 1060 6gb and an i5 8400.
Im just an impatient fuck and cant wait for the PC release.

Whats your point? Amd has had this long and cant beat the ipc of an old i5. Its literally moar cores and threads on the cheap with shitt clocks and ipc on offer from amd right now

>shit IPC
What the fuck are you talking about, Ryzen's IPC is practically even with Intel's and actually better in some situations

It's on par with Haswell. Coffee Lake is something like 5% better IPC, and higher clocked.

>BUT IT'S ALMOST AS GOOD!!!!

I care about performance per dollar, and AMD gave Intel a serious beating in that regard.
Intel responded with Coffee Lake but we'll see how they fare once 7nm Zen 2 comes out.

Speaking of which

is a 4k monitor worth it if you don't have anything better than a 1060?

Nor for games. Get a 144hz

No, it's not that simple. It's slightly better in some tasks and slightly worse in others. Either way you'd have to be a complete retard to consider the minuscule difference "shit".

absolutely not
you would have to upscale everything and it would look like shit

Clock for clock doesnt mean shit when one clocks much higher than the other

what does a 144 do better than 60?

And the 8400 at 3.8 still beats the 1600 at 3.8

Smoother and doesnt screen tear above 60. I accidently left my monitor set at 60 hz and played and game and it was tearing like ass and i noticed and switched it back. 60hz is shit

Gotta be honest, the 8400 results seemed really weird to me. Have any anons confirmed that it does actually perform that well? That chip has a dogshit base clock

why does the 1600x perform better than the 1700x despite equal cpu frequency and lower ram frequency?

>Clock for clock doesnt mean shit
It does when you're trying to measure IPC.

It's shit. Thus why no one buys it

Here is the 8400 at 3.8ghz crushing the entire ryzen line up

Keep in mind the 1500x id 3.7ghz and costs 20 dollars less than the 8400. What idiot would buy this crap. Multicore is also much worse

Gotta think about the defect distribution across the cores. The 1700x has significant defects or it would be an 1800x. However, all 8 cores can still operate. For the 1600x, it's reasonable to assume that the majority of defects were concentrated in one or two cores, leaving the others nearly perfect. That means that if you pick the best core from a 1600 and the best core from a 1700, the 1600 probably has fewer defects and thus works better.

thanks for the help.