>Shake his hand and walk out

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.codinghorror.com/why-cant-programmers-program/
brilliant.org/wiki/egg-dropping/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>tfw had one of these the other week
>write a function in C to check if a string is a palindrome
>absolutely nailed it
Feels good when you walk out of the interview knowing you did well. Got the offer two days later but turned it down

Our company stopped doing whiteboard interviews when we realized it's being heavily studied/practiced on University campuses now. We legitimately had 3 candidates do excellent on whiteboard interviews only to find out they were part of a whiteboard interview club. We reviewed their github commits and found out they were fairly mediocre programmers.

How mediocre are we talking about?

You're part of the problem, why do you expect Jr devs fresh out of college to be anything more than "mediocre programmers". If they were good then they wouldn't be jr devs. I'm assuming you are interviewing for a Jr dev since you are interviewing fresh grads.

TheFalcon forgot to put his trip on. Imagine working for a faggot that anal, that thinks he's god's gift to programming.

>BS Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering
>5 years industry experience
>Familiar with C++, Python, .NET, SQL, Javascript, and at least 2 distinct JS frameworks
>Comfortable in client-facing and C-Suite communications, frequently same day
>Hours vary, willing to accept the day doesn't end at 5pm. Must be available on weekends and holidays (remote options available to all employees)
>Stock options (vesting after 5 years consecutive employment)
>Willing to wear multiple hats
>35k a year to start

Also no old people.

What? That's literally first chapter K&R stuff.

I know this, because I did something similar a few days ago after finishing the first chapter.

Yeah the job was shitty pay anyway, seemed kinda easy tbqh. Still nice to ace it though

>What? That's literally first chapter K&R stuff.
That's the point.
blog.codinghorror.com/why-cant-programmers-program/

>35k
I hope that ain't USD

You bet your sweet ass it is.

Are there any good "code snippets" type websites for C that you can recommend?

There seems to be plenty for other languages like Python and web dev stuff, but I haven't found any decent ones for C yet, except the SBC websites maybe, except I was looking for something quite general.

I got asked the fucking egg question

What came first, the egg or the HRT?

>Willing to wear multiple hats
I only wear one hat

Wtf

You can make 35k a year at McDonalds

Just got back from an interview today with the last question on the whiteboard. All I had to do was print out a multiplication table given an integer and it took me 5 minutes of staring before I wrote the fucking thing out because I was sweating bullets trying not to look dumb. Give me a piece of paper without someone breathing down my neck and I would've had it answered in 30 seconds. Fuck man it was so embarassing, I'm so fucking stupid.

>carbon fiber fedoras

fucking kek

Can you get trannies pregnant?
Asking for a friend.

>not drawing a few dicks on it before leaving.
I'm ashamed of you.

We're going with someone else

Do it here, you have 1 minute.

for(int i = 0 to num - 1)
for(int i = 0 to num - 1)
print((i+1)*(j+1))

you ask other things than explicit programming on whiteboards you know. i ask interviewees to to do database modelling for a certain scenario. works rather well.

>3 lines
>can't even get it right
we're definitely going with someone else

Probably not, don't let that stop you from trying.

At least you had the balls to go, those interviews sound stressful as fuck.

that just shows you're a shit presenter. part of being part of a company is being comfortable with others and presenting your shit. you're supposed to walk others through your thought process and say what you're doing. you clearly failed, and im glad you wont get the job.

;__; I answered all of the technical questions right

They suck, it's not a lot but I've got 2 years of experience working on completely different platforms and with different frameworks at 2 different companies, not to mention an engineering degree that takes 4 years but make me write on a whiteboard with someone watching and I may as well have been born with the right side of my brain missing.

Is the answer really to start at the first floor and go up? It sounds more like a binary search problem to me (i.e if there's 100 floors, start at 50, if it breaks, go to 25, if it doesn't break, go to 37 or 38, etc etc until you find the critical floor).

But I've never heard of this question until now. If the goal is to break as few eggs as possible it makes sense to go 1,2,3,... ,n,n +1

Nvm, finally found a good explanation of the problem: brilliant.org/wiki/egg-dropping/

>born with the right side of my brain missing.

I've never been to one of these interviews but know I'm the same way. Shit sucks man, only way to get better at is to do what you did though, as uncomfortable as it is (initially at least).

And yeah I'm talking out of my ass, but I still believe it's true.

Just tell them you don't do free work. You'd be happy to solve their puzzle, here is your hourly rate. If they need it solved, here is your business card. Otherwise, you'll be on your way.

Let them know the hard way that you won't put up with their bullshit.

We've decided to go with another candidate.

Welcome to the team, Rajeesh Patel!

Nice fucking job retard

>pulls out my cyan magenta yellow and black pens
>prints out the result dot by dot very quickly
>if run out of ink, beeps annoyingly until the four pens are replaced, even if its the yellow (and its always the yellow) pen that ran out

>even if its the yellow (and its always the yellow) pen that ran out

CIA niggers print their tracking dots with yellow, this is a fact

Yep!
And i'm not landing that job at HP if i don't do em as well.

It's a weed-out question to quickly catch the people who got past HR by pure luck, the first "programming challenge" my employer gives at every dev interview is to write a factorial function in any language on the whiteboard and we've still seen a lot of applicants fail this

Here's a solution for you: you give me the programming task, I delegate it to a subordinate. I am now the manager.

These people are the worst people, especially when they get so used to it, that they start doing it in their private lives.

>yeah sure, I'll help you move...
>oh good, could you do this, this, this, aaand this
>[delegating intensifies]
>wait... what the fuck are you doing then?

I might be getting my first interview in a few weeks. Do they ask any conceptual questions, like proving loop invariants? Or is it mostly algorithm implementation and problem solving?

Depends on the company. I had an interview last week and he didn't ask me a single technical question, just asked me if my resume was correct and what I did at my last internship. Then dome grill you on Linux commands, language terms, OO concepts etc. I sincerely doubt you'll ever be asked to prove a loop invariant in an interview. Search algorithm implementation maybe but nothing harder than that unless you're a Sr dev or something but at that point you can probably get jobs without the bullshit of whiteboard interviews anyways

I would prefer a white board test because I know I can bullshit my way by using pseudo code.
I keep getting fucked with the online ones cause I have to use java and I fucking hate it. Never bothered to learn it properly.

Are none of you interviewing in the silicon valley?

I've seen tons of DP questions, graph theory (BFS/DFS, MSTs), and an assload of questions dealing with binary and binary search trees.

Implemented a web app, the grep command, and some algorithm question all at one company (to be fair, solid offer).

What type of companies (names, tier) are asking simple string manipulation problems for full-time roles? lol

>I've seen tons of DP
sounds like San Fran to me.

M8 uber drivers make 35k

>Are none of you interviewing in the silicon valley
No, why in the love of god would I want to work and live in fucking San Francisco

Money, experience.
Also fuck living in SF. Live in the east bay or something. SF is a shithole to live in but the East Bay is actually extremely livable, especially on SF tech salary.