/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

j-mag.org/2018/02/02/lovelive_solocd_jacket/
staxaudio.com/earspeaker/sr-l300limited
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>feet OP

Idol trash here.
Are you ready for the Love Live Memorial Box III, user?
j-mag.org/2018/02/02/lovelive_solocd_jacket/

Almost there. Needs more touhou.

Yuru Camp soundtrack March 21st woo woo

Nice headphones.
Yuru Camp is so comfy and lovely.

i want to sug luka's toes

i couldn't stand that those white leds on the magni so put some white electrical tape on the inside of the case.
more like yuri camp. it warms my heart when i watch it

You did well. I might do that after warranty term.

why do dynacucks get so upset when you mention STAX?

Only Umi and Eli are truly worth the solos.

Cuz they can't afford the cost of the amp+phone and they feel offended at the thought that they couldn't get the best sound

I'm looking forward to these two the most (they're my favourite voices too!), but I'll definitely listen to them all.

You bet I'm hyped.
The absolute comfiness of Yurucamp posters

I'm going through Atelier Iris 2 OST on the MSR7... holy shit they do sound awesome.
And I still don't have the damn cables so that I can unleash their potential properly (on the Magni 2u). Still using onboard.

That reminds me, I have to finish the one Atelier game. I bought it at launch for $60 and then stopped gaming entirely.

dear lord that is a large head

Volume wise my head is probably as big as the Neso's.

Nice best headphones in the world, which are much better than any STAX, anons.

Idol trash advice here. The best atelier is iris 2, which is PS2. Iris 1 is a bit meh but necessary, iris 3 is absolute garbage (skippable), and none of the other ateliers measure up to iris 2.
If you're to play games by this company (gust), the _must_ isn't even atelier, but Ar Tonelico. Specifically, Ar Tonelico 2 (requires playing 1, which isn't bad either), also PS2.
Just ensure you get the good versions of the ATs... as in the japanese voice / unfuck versions. Particularly AT2 has a nasty bug near game end in the official english release, and is missing half the japanese voices; unofficial versions do fix this. AT1 similarly has a patch that restores the original movies (jp voice) and adds subtitles to them.
PCSX2 runs all of this well.

Ar tonelico does have some beautiful music. I'm just concerned about the yuri factor.

>trying this hard to stay relevant in the new age of STAX

The yuri factor is strong in AT2 particularly. Not that I personally mind.
In any event, cocona a best. A best!!

In that case, I'll check it out. Thanks for the rec.

>Budget: $0-$1000 USD
>Location: USA
>Source: Phone mostly.
>Type of headphone:Slight preference for open.
>Comfort level: Not a huge deal as I don't plan on listening for more than 40 minutes at a time.
>Sound signature: Slight preference for neutral.
>Past headphones: SR60, ATH-M50, Q701.
I liked all of my old headphones with my favorite being the Q701 but I'm looking to try something new. Removable cord would be great but not necessary.
Onegaishimasu~

staxaudio.com/earspeaker/sr-l300limited

>phone
At that budget, get an amp/dac and rubberband it to your phone. Is this for portable use?

>Is this for portable use?
Yes, just something to use in the mornings while I get ready for work and in the evenings when I'm cooking.
Nice.

I assume this is for portable use? If so look around for a Philips Fidelio l2

Probably try for a used HD800 or Aeon (open or closed) with an amp/dac. Fiio A5 would probably cut it for both.

HD600, the best headphones in the world, obviously.

Thank you all. I'll weigh these options and roll with one of them

What headphones is she using?

They appear to be loosely based on AKGs.

Think it's funny how you could shill for cheap quality product like Stax.

>my HD800 is too big and heavy to be worn at the same time as my Oculus

Reposting in this thread because apparently the last one was finished
>Budget
Up to $200, but I'd rather spend less than more.
>Location
US
>Source
My computer
>Type of headphone
Full-Sized
>Open or closed
Would prefer closed, but am okay with open
>Comfort level
They don't need to be insanely comfortable, but I'd like something that can be worn over an extended period of time without causing any pain or pressure
>Sound signature
Something that sounds good with gaming (sound stage) and music. I'd like a strong bass, but I'd prefer the audio to not sound tinny because of it.
>Past headphones
ATH M50's.
Have had them for about 4 years now and one of the ear pieces is starting to give way. My first real pair and I've loved these things for as long as I've had them.

DT770 80 ohm or 880

just eq so you don't go deaf

Are the 880's superior in any way?

Neutral leaning but both have great soundstage. 990 is utter trash.

A550z or A990z. You asked for insanely comfortable and closed, and they are the most comfortable closed cans in that price range, same build as the open AT which are very light, do not clamp, have decent sized earpads.

If you love M50 then how about M40x?

Yo /hpg/, let's talk about the other part of the music listening experience. What's a good MP3 player? I wanna cram all my music (most 320 kbps mp3, some FLAC) on a dedicated device and I don't have enough space on my phone.

He wants bass. M40X don't deliver. Channel matching is also worse than m50x or higher end AT. People like to jerk to m40x because muhneutrality but they're mediocre cans.

Such quality matching

Is Love Live! that amazing?

>Budget
$300 or less, somewhat flexible. Obviously cheaper is better. I'm really looking for the best value for my money, and if I have to spend a little over $300 to get there then that's OK.

>Location
USA

>Source
Computer or Ensoniq ESQ1 synthesizer. I'm open to getting an amp, but I need a pair of headphones that's usable without one.

>Type of headphone
Over ear

>Open or closed
Open

>Comfort level
VERY comfortable, this has been a problem with previous headphones.

>Sound signature
U-shaped to neutral. I don't need overpowered bass but I don't want it to be lacking. Something that won't be fatiguing.

>Past headphones
Sennheiser 202 - nice for the price but they hurt my ears.
ATH M50s - These hurt too, and the earpads are beginning to fall apart. I'm not getting rid of them yet but I'd like something else to wear when I'm at home.
MaGaosi HLSX-BK50 earbuds - so shrill that to my ears they are nearly unlistenable.

I listen to many genres but I know there's no one "perfect pair" of multitasker headphones. So, I guess I'll say that I listen to a lot of electronic music of various kinds, ambient, and classical.
I don't need these to be portable, they will be staying inside my house.
I want them to be comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.

Thanks for your help!

Please kill yourself. You are worse than a tripfag because you intentionally avoid being filtered.

I'd like to try something a little different. I think the M50's sound really great, but I'd like to try something that's a little more brave. I remember when I was a kid and tried on studio headphones it always blew me away when everything sounded like it was in the room with me. I have no complaints for the m50's but they don't do impress me anymore.

I meant to add that I'd like something a little more "musical" than the ATH M50s. Not sure it's the sound signature for me.

post pictures of your stax so we can know that your opinion is credible

>I listen to many genres but I know there's no one "perfect pair" of multitasker headphones. So, I guess I'll say that I listen to a lot of electronic music of various kinds, ambient, and classical.
For electronic music you really want something that doesn't have limp dicked bass like too many midrange open headphones. DT880 should be the most versatile for you. HD650 is an option and has more midbass but less sub extension and has veiled treble. AKG 712 could work too.
Avoid the HD600 and AKG 702.

DT880 is mildly V. If you want something more relaxed look into the HD600/650/579

>ebay auction for SR Lambda was taken down for an "error in the listing"

Is there a good online store to purchase the Sennheiser HD 650 frame from?

is this my life as a stax owner now? hunting ebay and aleado? I suppose nothing has changed

Thanks for the advice, I will check these out

Open senn are not very good for electro and ambient music with decent profound rumbling bass. Sweet for classical music (and generally for any genre that focuses on acoustic instruments), with a more faithful timbre but it's not like the dt880 will sound bad, just less natural. I don't think these should be the main/only headphones of someone who puts any importance to electro.

Meme speakers

Open headphones in general aren't very good for bass centric music until you get up to the $600 price point with viable planars. If only the Monomeme wasn't a cracking ringing piece of shit.

It's mediocre but anything can be fun if you're into that sort of thing.

What would you suggest for closed-back cans in that price range? I put "open back" because it would be practical to hear other things around me if I'm going to be leaving them on for a while, but I'd be OK with closed back if it's gonna work better for me overall.

I'm waiting for more reviews of the Campfire Audio Cascade to come rolling in (nothing but a single Japanese review and limited impressions so far) so I can buy a pair, but in the meantime I've got the Massdrop Plus IEMs on the way, plus a sub to flesh out my 2.0 setup.
I hope all of you [soon to be] Stax bros and HD600 bois enjoy your cans, too! I probably would have jumped on the L300LE train too, but I have no interest in buying a separate amp just for a single pair of cans right now, no matter how amazing they may be. The Cascade appeals to me because I'm going to be on the road a lot more for work this year, and a solid pair of portable closed-backs may be just what the doctor ordered.

e-mu teak is W shaped and can be had for $350 used

Out of curiosity, is there anyone using nesoberi as full-time headphone stands?

It works pretty well with the LCD-2 but only because I have the longer extension rods.

I would disagree, but I'm not a heavy basshead. Opens with decent extension do it acceptably for me. Still, you're right that closed cans offer a better bass centric experience and sometimes I go for my closed at home.
As for monoprice.. even if they were better, I don't consider them a good option as an European. No shop sells anything monoprice here, the only way to get them is through amazon.com US version which likely will trigger customs fee too and if there's any issues with your order you'll have to ship back ugh.

These look really nice. The semi-open back style seems like the way to go for me. I live on the coast of Washington state and it's pretty much always very humid here, would that be an issue for headphones that incorporate wood?

Extending this question to you as well, if you have any input

The only good closed can I own wouldn't fit one of your requirements : comfort. MSR7 clamp so fucking hard and the pads aren't one of the larger ones either (and swapping to third parties will annihilate the sweet, slightly receded but supremely well extended bass). I do not actually care that much about comfort, always been able to deal with a little ear pain. The sound quality is fucking great for its price range though. Soundstage is not as great as open cans though.

not an issue but you need to pad swap + dekoni attenuator for comfort. stock pads are shit. also they are biodyna so you can bass boost with an amp as high as you'd like with no distortion.

I'm no basshead either, but no open dynamic has ever matched or even come close to the bass quality (or quantity after EQ) found on STAX or even LCD-2. The SR303 can produce clean audible bass frequencies down to 15hz. It's like nothing I've ever heard before on an open dynamic.
Denon D2000 or Fostex TH-X00 used.

Obviously, I was only stating that I found them sufficient, not best. Closed dyna at that lower price range will always be better than the open ones. But it's all tradeoffs, if I could only afford one decent mid-fi headphone I'd get an open one with decent bass extension because some other factors matter. It's nice having some closed tagging along though.
Someday I'll really have to buy a Stax, the more I read people rave about them the more I feel the impulse. But it feels a bit like leap of faith to spend so much on something I have no idea how it sounds like and no retailer carries them here. Are Stax the sort that would make me sell every other open headphones I own the moment I hear them? are they great at absolutely all musical genres? (I listen to pretty much anything from metal to rap to classic to jazz to electro and so on and on).

Yeah unfortunately comfort is a dealbreaker for me. I think my ears are just sensitive :/

Good to know, thanks

Appreciate the suggestions, you all have given me a lot to go on. Thank you all!

Yousoro!~

What'd you just call me?

I'd say so. I've already sold a couple of my headphones. My advice is to get a really good deal on some stuff used. It'll take a while of trawling ebay but there are some great deals to be had.
That's really fucking nice.

Search for the Massdrop HD6XX on ebay. HD6XX sounds the same as the HD650, but can be had for a lot cheaper than it currently is on Amazon

>Are Stax the sort that would make me sell every other open headphones I own the moment I hear them?
a lot of stuff at summit-fi are like that. it's an odd question to ask because it's a preference thing. when you leave midfi you start having little or few tradeoffs (ignoring the cost performance ratio). overall they typically do everything better but have a special trait they are the best at. focal's drivers have a high xmax and are musical. stax are detail kings. hd800 has soundstage. audeze is smooth. etc. stax are popular because they get the crisp transparent sound at a very cheap price compared to other stuff like the HD800S, focal utopia, etc that will cost twice as much

>Unironically being a dynamiclet
What's the excuse aside from being poor?

>watch z reviews
>he live in some tiny ass apartment literally packed with speakers and headphones
>uses old ass outdated shit for every other part of his house but has like 100k in headphones just sitting there unused on the wall

Audiofools have gone TOO FAR!!

>>watch z reviews
stopped reading there

Look into getting some BrainWaves earpads for your M50s. The difference is worth the 30 dollars.

Everyone watches zeos but pretends like they don't

>2017+1
>buying fragile, no bass electrostats

Christ, you cunts are as bad as tube fags.

>t. angry dynamicfag
Lmaoing at ur life, fagboi

That's quite a good idea.

>2017+1
>not owning headphones

Post 'em, mofos.

Anyone own this?
I bought it few days ago and Right driver died within a day, replaced them.
Did a research, apparently they moved production in slovenia from austria and cut the price to half. So quality control is kinda shit.
What i'm asking is this complete gamble, or they actually can serve me for couple of years?

>tfw /hpg/ recommended you plantronics
>they’re the real deal

Thank you /hpg/ for a good pair of headphones. The bass feels so good with them, but makes my favorite album (moody good-self titled) so much more powerful. Only problem is the music stops playing when you move the right ear, so it becomes a bit annoying at times

They definitely will, mine did. But those plastic tabs are going to fuck up eventually and no idea how bad those rubber bands are going to stretch over time. Mighty comfy headphones though, i'll give them that.

for how long you have them?
Yeah i bought them mostly because i enjoy how they sit on my head

I believe they're made in China nowadays

slovakia, not slovenia. Definitely not China. Price went down from 600$ to 250-300$.

One of my friends had the 701 which has similar build for a decade. They're still in a working state, the inner transparent plastic bit broke off but they're still usable. He uses them daily. I personally own the 702 but not for more than a year so can't comment on my own unit durability. They're still pristine, but it's obvious that they're not the sturdiest of headphones : they are made for home listening and if you were to carry them for travelling they'd need a decent solid case to protect them. For regular home use the build quality is suitable and focusing on being light and comfortable. So long as you baby them and don't aggressively stretch them too much while getting them off your head they should last.

Thanks for info, i will treat them very carefully and hope headphone driver won't die again.

>slovenia
I had a lot of fun while I was there, took pic related of what I found

It was probably the soldering of the cable inside the cup that broke off. It's not an uncommon issue on mass produced headphones for quality control to miss some solder defect particularly since the law that forbade the use of lead solder in the European Union. Lead free solder sucks and caused the mass GPU defects during the transition period.

It's rare for the actual driver to die and if you have some soldering skills it's an easy fix if that happens out of warranty.

yeah, i have no soldering skills whatsoever, i just found in amazon reviews that happened for a few people before.