Why is there overwhelming more people on Sup Forums that want to be programmers than there is people who want to go...

Why is there overwhelming more people on Sup Forums that want to be programmers than there is people who want to go into any other type of IT? Why do you all want to be code monkeys?

fucking frogposter

I've considered systems administration as a career.

I'm in IT support.

I love being a genius by knowing how to change the default browser.

Unironically?

No, unironically I like the low amount of effort and responsibility I have and when I'm off work I'm off work.

Computer science is pretty interesting but i think it mostly belongs on sci.
System administrator / it support is an even more brainlet job.

If this is the case I'd be unsurprised. Company?

Because you can learn le JavaScript 4free and treat it as a hobby. Subnetting and virtualisation are boring hobbies. Nobody here actually has a job, so people just talk about their hobbies instead. Therefore, they talk about programming.

>Company?
Internal IT support in a ~4k employees organisation is all I'm gonna say.

Let's look at other popular options at an entry level

administration
>harder to get into (you can program in your browsers)
>not as many famous people doing it
>no media campaigns promoting sys/db administration

support
>you have to deal with people all day
>substantially lower wages

business analyst
>you have to deal with people
>business oriented
>hard to get into

This seems unlikely

How's the market for embedded programming? I'm about to finish my degree and looking for internships

The same reason this board never talks about actual technology related topics such as automation, plc, robots, etc
Its just a constant circlejerk of bored virgins who learned how to use computers properly and think they are hotshit

Why did you delete this.
is for you. It's just as unlikely as it was the first time you posted it

Fuck man. One of my mum's friends is a systems administrator. His laptop broke when it got dropped. He gave it to mum to give it to me. The entire thing worked, I'm using it to this day, except the hard drive was stuffed (took it out and connected it to a docking station and ran badblocks on it and it shat out errors for several days before finally dying). Just had to replace the hard drive and put on a new OS, it's sitting beside me with Debian on it.

He was also having trouble with his new laptop, his daughter installed linux mint for him, but he couldn't install a webbrowser. Mum told him I'm interested in linux and could have a look.

First: I found it a bit interesting that he was having trouble installing a browser on mint (it should already be installed).
Two: What the fuck kind of guy working in IT knows less about linux than I do (I started using linux in 2016 after being a Windowsfag overclocker for several years).

He brought his laptop over for me to look at. I'm sitting there ready to edit his repositories etc and work out why he can't install a browser. Hmmm, nice little mozilla firefox icon sitting in the shortcut bar. Click it... works.

I have half a physics/genetics degree. Have been taught to look down on people in Compsci. Now know why. Vid unrelated. Video is of three sheep absolutely destroying four idiot humans in a streetfight. Only one of the sheep even gets hit, and he gets straight back up. Absolute domination.

fuck off

Why did you delete this?
This and this are for you. It's just as unlikely as it was the first two times you posted it

why is business analytics hard to get into?

I got a place at a training company in Business Intelligence as they call it, which is basically a mixture of Data Analytics and Business Analytics. The BA part was real easy though.

Oh, wait, or did you mean hard to land a job?

Underrated post

>systems administrator
Windows is also (sadly) a thing in the server market. Maybe he's doing Azure, ASP.NET and what not, that's a whole different story. I'm currently working with Linux and BSD (sys admin, package maintainance ...) and I probably couldn't do shit on a windows server.

Tfw I did programing and networking certs so I'm the master race.

Atm I'm getting paid to work on a SaaS App. Atm I wanting to learn Linux administraton and scaling apps which as this hits production this year I'll have a role in that.

My long term goal in like 5-10 years is to move into security.

Tbh you have to know how to code in most IT jobs that aren't shit tier.
+ Writing being able to write code makes your everyday life easier, because you can actually tinker with stuff you use, understand it and automate workflow that most other people don't deal with.

>automate everything
>ask for raise
>get the "what do we even pay you for"
>local office sync server that I set up goes down a while later and people have to fill out calendars and email names manually for a few days before it gets 'fixed'
>get raise at the end of the month
(;

Right, I see you wanna see another funny video. Ok then, this isn't Sup Forums, but ...

am also linux sysadmin. fuck windows servers, i refuse to ever work on them.

You've never been to /sci/, have you?

without the memes obviously

This

I want to do sysadmin and networking with some security on the side

>JavaScript
Who the fuck would program in that piece of shit as a hobby? I learn JS because it is very demanded, for a hobby I use a better language, one where you actually program.

Many people call "system administrators" to people who install Windows and configure printers, this like many other terms are very badly misused this days.
A real sysadmin isn't an easy job to get, because it brings a lot of responsibility, basically if you fuck you can bring down the whole company's infrastructure and make them lose a lot of money, serious companies don't hire just any idiot.

The people you see saying that are compsci students whose work experience consists of grading papers or maybe a fast food job.

Best post in thread