/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Mobile World Congress 2018 starts February 26th

>Alcatel 3V promotional video outed ahead of announcement
gsmarena.com/alcatel_3v_promotional_video_out_ahead_of_announcement-news-29454.php
>Asus Zenfone 5 renders surface out of a manual
gsmarena.com/asus_zenfone_5_renders_surface_out_of_a_manual-news-29459.php
>New midrange HTC device appears on GeekBench with a Snapdragon 625 and Oreo
gsmarena.com/new_midrange_htc_device_appears_on_geekbench_with_a_snapdragon_625_and_oreo-news-29453.php
>Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Renders With MIX 2-Like Display Appear Online
gizchina.com/2018/02/02/xiaomi-redmi-note-5-renders-with-mix-2-like-display-appear-online/

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

linustechtips.com/main/topic/844773-mozilla-funding-antifa/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Qualcomm_Snapdragon_systems-on-chip
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How will Asus ever recover?

i want to fug kirino

sooo I'm on an age-old htc one (I know, I know), and it's fucking slow. I've never flashed a phone / put a new OS on one. I kind of need a mid-range phone, around 200€, with a decent camera if possible.
Are there decent resources out there about the advantages of lineageOS, alernative apps, and how-to's about the whole process?

>that little fang
hnnng

>Firefox cannot be trusted
>Lightning browser is dead
>Naked UI is stuck in the past
>Chrome is botnet

What's a good browser to use.

What's the deal with Firefox? I just started using it and I like it

Daily reminder to not buy Huawei phones outside of Europe otherwise you'll never get updates ever again. Just don't buy their shit.

>Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Renders With MIX 2-Like Display Appear Online

18:9

Why do they do this? Why not 16:9???

Icecat. You can get it from F-Droid

How much worse battery life you can expect from redmi note 5 compared to 4?

Redmi note 5 is 5.99'' 2160 x 1080 and snapdragon 636 compared to Redmi note 4 5.5'' 1920 x 1080 and snapdragon 625

Should I update my 5s which is currently running 8.1.1? The only thing I use it for is looking at my e-mail via the mail app and looking up words on jisho.org via Safari.
I ask now because I'm finally going to dig out my old computer which it is tied to in order to swap some of the music and photos.

How do I get add-ons in Icecat?

I'm searching for a phone with a similar symmetrical design to my current iPhone 4s.

So far, I've found onePlus X, Xperia Z3, and Xperia z5 premium. any other suggestions?

Do you guys use,a specific app for email or just the web browser?

What're the chances of the Pixel 2 XL suffering bootloop issues?

pretty low, same for new LGs

I had a Moto G3 which I got for 150€ (germany) a few years back.
It's faulty though, so I'm getting a refund.

I'm only playing two games (F/GO and FE/H) and use it to check on news and stuff every now and then. May use it to read e-books, but small displays strain my eyes.

What's currently the best phone for that in my price-range (150€)?
I wanted to just straight upgrade to the Moto G5 since I was quite content with my G3. Went to Saturn the other day to take a look and an employee said that it's garbage and for a 20 bucks more there's much better alternatives. Was he trying to bait me or was it genuine advice?

I'd get the 3GB-RAM version and from quad-core to octa doesn't sound too shabby either.
Pros cons?

Contract on my galaxy s7 edge runs out in June.
Any good phones announced for then yet?

WHAT SITE DO I USE FOR FREE PREMIUM APKS? GOOGLE HAS A MULLION SCAM RESULTS

apk4free dot net
planetapkt dot net

This oneplus 3 is excellent with everything so far. I can tell the lack of an SD is gonna bite me in the ass though because I'm already over halfway through the 64 GB internal space.

Got what I was looking for. Thanks.

What the actual fuck was huawei thinking?

You mean the g5 plus instead of g5?
Then yes it's more than worth it, g5 plus is amazing if you get it for 200€

s9

Redmi Note 4

it could be worse

For me it's that my camera is fucked up and that it's often unresponsive when I need to quickly snap a photo or something. Not to mention how it keeps shutting off at 12%

How is the battery life redmi note 4 vs redmi note 5?

the note 5 isn't out yet, mate

Name a phone on a budget of 300€ that isn't shit

how do i get the sleek, dark aesthetic of android kitkat on newer phones? lollipop, marshmallow, etc. are nothing but ugly material design that looks like it was colored in with crayon by a 5 year old. even app icons have this flat muted look to them.

is it as simple as using nova or some other launcher and using a mock kitkat theme? given most of those were made in 2013-14 I'd expect compatibility issues with newer phones. they don't truly mimic kitkat anyway, they may change the backgrounds to black but it's still muted material design style

redmi note 5

xiaomitool doesnt work on redmi 4x

Can this be the pic for the next thread?

No

Just flashed Lineage to give it a shot, it said one of the apps won't work because Google Play is required, and then I can't use voice to type. Are there any non-Google workarounds for this or is Google simply a must-have on Android?

But where's the smartphone?

With TWRP you can install GApps and their services. I forgot the name, I'm sure you can find it.

Any phone that supports themes. This is MIUI.

will be installing Lineage on Galaxy S3 soon. last time i installed CM the camera wouldn't work because it's apparently a Sony camera. i don't suppose anyone knows of any solutions to this?

Do you know if Pico will give the keyboard voice feature? I don't know the official name for it.

change their name to anus and the market might boom again

Redmi note 4 or Mi A1
Yes.
Alternative Apps - try fossdroid
XDA has all the how-to's anything you may want to do.

>Sister just got the iPhone X and gave me her old 6s
How the fuck do people even use iOS? This is a kickass camera, though.

So last thread someone recommended a cool SMS app, is there an improved Phone app as well? I've already found a good Contacts replacement.

I plan on using my root to delete all these crappy stock apps.

sweet, thanks. The Mi A1 looks great! What's the catch, the Note 4 is usually the go-to around here?

K-9 Mail is by far the best email client on Android, It's even FOSS and on F-Droid.

Is the OPX a good buy?

This is the XZ1c. I don't know how to read this graph, any audiophiles here

it's alright, if you want the best sound buy lg

What was the sms app?

textra

ah standard, thanks

Are temp glass protectors a meme? I have had 2 Spigen protectors fuck up on me. First cracked from a less than 2ft drop, and this one didn't stick right and it took me too long to notice, thanks rain. I have a nice case on my phone so I'm not too worried about drops, but are screen protectors a meme? I have an S8, and I don't want to risk it breaking ever but I also don't want to spend 30 on another case since they now have ones with removable protectors. I don't generally drop my phone but I've picked it up in my sleep and knocked if off my bed. Is it worth my time to spend 30 on something like a pelican case with a screen protector that you place in the layers of the case?

I think screen protectors are a meme because the plastic gets scratched and looks hideous.

If you're case has enough lip around the screen, you should be good, my 6s has been dropped face down but the speck case saved it

Good to know. I have a Spigen Tough Armor and it's got a pretty nice lip on the top and bottom to the point I can't get the screen to touch my table even on it's side. I just don't want it to break. Great phone but glass is kind of a shit design.

I'm sorry I doubted you Sup Forums. You told me to get a Moto g5 plus and I had to be edgy and get an Honor 6x. I live in a rural area and rely on wifi calling and guess what? Huawei didn't include the code needed to make wifi calling available yet, based on forums, they insist the ball is in the court of my network provider. The glass hasn't scratched like you insisted, but China still managed to fuck me. Is Swappa a good option for getting the most for my device to trade up to a G5s?

WHY THE FUCK DOES IMS SERVICE HOG MY FUCKING BATTERY? STOP. PLEASE.

Sup Forums, Moto G5s Plus or Moto X4?

I thought the X4 had an AMOLED screen but shit I just looked it up and it's IPS, only the Z has them. If you only want to use this phone for like a year and can't wait for the Moto announcements coming up, I'd say get the G5s Plus if you can find one for a good discount. I know it has the sony IMX258 camera sensor (known to be a solid camera for motorola), although it can't even record 1080 60fps. A much better battery life than the X4 and the screen size makes a big difference if you don't mind the overall dimenions of the phone.

Otherwise you can find an unlocked new 2016 Pixel XL for like $550 which is close to the X4's msrp before the recent drop.

>the plastic gets scratched and looks hideous.
That's when you replace it, moron. Many of these companies will even sell you 3 packs for exactly this reason.

I'd get the X4 unless the G5S+ is significantly cheaper (the X4 is currently available for $249 from Google Fi, it's the Android One version too). If you're buying the G5S+ you might as well get the G5+ which has a better camera on it

I do some salary sacrifice shit with my pay where I need to spend my salary sacrificed funds before March 31.

by then I estimate I will have around $2k aud extra to spend

what is the best smart phone to get by then? main priorities are camera, SD card and battery life. oh and obviously snappiness in speed.

G5 and G5s have nerfed clockspeeds, get the G5 Plus or G5s Plus

Sup Forums help me, i live in Brazil (inb4 huehue) and need a new smartphone, i can only afford around R$1000(~$310), i can't afford more than R$1300(~$400)
Can you give me recommendations
If you need to know the carrier, i use "Vivo"

you probably have some unofficial chink rom if you're not getting OTA updates

just flash a different rom

Samsung browser

linustechtips.com/main/topic/844773-mozilla-funding-antifa/

The phone he has (Huawei P9 Plus) has received Nougat and will be getting Oreo, he's just too retarded to go on XDA and flash the firmware manually.

This

Brave

Clearly shows you niggers never owned an Huawei phone before it's not possible to flash a different rom and if you do you'd end up with an TEST-KEY build and with no IMEI and guess what you're fucked. I already tried to update manually with FF and it fails every fucking time on install boy and guess why because Huawei locks them from factory on certain countries. Also go to XDA and try to find a rom for the C605 good luck with that faggots.

Is the Z3/Z5 Compact still good? Any good roms for it

I made a scan of my dick on my xiaomi rn4 and unlocked it with my foreskin using the fingerprint scanner

Wanted to get the regular one because it costs the exact same.
Don't have the kind of money for an upgrade lying around right now.

Sounds good. I'll look into it. Thank you.

Femanon here

When will the Snapdragon 625 meme die? It's basically three years old now, been superseded twice and yet new phones are still coming out with this ancient SiC

I need to buy a phone and can't wait.

What is the best Xiaomi under $200 at the moment?

Is the Redmi Note 4 outdated by now? Is the Redmi 5 the new best thing? The Mi A1?

seems like a positive

it's still a good soc but redmi note 5 is rumored to come with snapdragon 636

When it will come?

honor 9 or galaxy s7?

Hello SPG. Which is the best bang for the buck phone for $500 or less?

US Tmobile here
My only requirement is that it has to be not bigger than the galaxy s8 and it has a headphone jack.

Really makes you think

get rekt antifag

Should I buy a chinkphone for my grandmother?

She only really needs to call, text, email and use the camera. Something like the Nokia 3 has a shitty battery life, can anyone recommend one of the Xiaomis?

Can someone recommend me a cheap phone with just 2 requirements?

1) able to properly do USB otg to connect to Cambridge audio external DAC amp. My Uliphone can't into this
2) expandable storage.

I will likely keep using my current phone too so cheaper and smaller is better. Just an idea.

>basically three years old
It isn't even two years old

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Qualcomm_Snapdragon_systems-on-chip
>Snapdragon 625 was announced on 11 February 2016

Why are all Xiaomis so big? Isn't there a smaller good option?

Okay so which exact Google app turns your speech to text when you push the mic button on any keyboard? I've been trying to figure it out since yesterday but don't know still.

I've never had a smartphone so please excuse me if this sounds dumb. I want to buy a Moto X4. Do all Moto X4's come with Android One installed or just a certain newer model because I've seen different versions of the box. Thank you in advance.

Mi6 and Mi5s are 5.15", Redmi 4X, 4A and 5A are 5.0"

Bumping.

Forgive me I need my DAC lol

I can't believe Marisa is fucking dead.

Just picked a new mi phone, what are must have apps?

Only project fi (US) got android one moto x4. Xiaomi mi a1 and htc u11 life (also got 2 different versions) are 2 android one alternatives.

Whats the best equalizer app?
Just equalizer, i dont want it to come with a media player