/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

Howdy! What are you working on, Sup Forums?

Previous thread: Recommended watching for programmers and would-be programmers:

youtube.com/watch?v=uqsZa36Io2M

youtube.com/watch?v=X36ye-1x_HQ

youtube.com/watch?v=3U3lV5VPmOU

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Haskell
github.com/gcc-mirror/gcc/blob/cbcd111ba9a09c7dabd4d753a4d0db4e0e9d3127/gcc/go/go-gcc.cc#L51
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

SQL isn't a programming language

Idris sucks

Me C nigger. OOC is fetid. How I into Haskell?

can't wait for the pointless language war to erupt once more actually

Me means OOP.

Shipping software is more important than having non functioning software that looks nice.

en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Haskell

eolang is the best language

>le dependid typos is safe system programmen meme
Daily reminder that Agda devs can't even show a square root algorithm is up to specs.

Step 1: Have autism

YOU'RE not a programming language.

Yes, there may be things to disagree with but I believe that is a very good place to start with what it means to write "good code" and what the benefits of being clean truly are.

And that its much more than looking nice.

I think I was born to Haskell then.

>verify everything except age old sqrt implementation
>durr me think as unsafe as C

c++ is the greatest language of all time

Writing good code means wasting less time doing testing, searching for bugs, debugging and shipping your product properly without having to say "oh its so difficult to fix we better pray it never happens".

>verify everything
>except this
>and this
>and that
>oh, and that, too
>oh, and basically anything beyond Peano arithmetic
>t. (x : Float) -> sqrt(x * x) = x

>me move rockpost me win ugh ugh

>verify
>floats
Floats don't make sense nigga
Don't use them!

do untested c++98 horrors not satisfy your definition?

>writing good code means less bad things and more good things
Another insightful post from the resident Javascript artisan.

fuck off mate

Jesus christ do you guys understand each other or is this one person samefagging? I have no idea what these posts are supposed to say.

*ships broken medical software that leads to multiple deaths*

>implyign grug move rockpost
Elaborate.

I wouldn't waste your time, you'll never convince him to use anything other than whatever shitlang he learned first.

>fails to understand that critical systems have software that is both very complex and verified for correctness
>this is despite attempts to simplify it as much as possible
>just use bubble sort and GC, mate. what are real-time requirements

Don't pretend that we're not both just shitposting.

References are just pointers in disguise

>you'll never convince him to use anything other than whatever shitlang he learned first.
I use quite a few shitlangs. I even know what you're shilling for. I just find it funny that not one of you has ever provided evidence of his ability to write correct and non-trivial software in Agda/Idris.

literally true for most c++ compilers

Is a pointer still a pointer if it doesn't support arithmetic?

yes

>if you don't make mistakes you won't have problems
How did no one ever think of this?

So?

/dpt/ is the worst thread on the whole site.
Literally infested with pajeets, monkeys and retards.
If you spent more than 10 mins here your IQ drops by 10 points.

found the bigboy programmer progidy

>g d

>Literally infested with pajeets, monkeys and retards.
Which one are you a subclass of?

yagot me

*instance of

instanceof*

He's from /wdg/. They use prototype-based OOP, so an instance is its own class.

What is your favorite programming language, and why is it C++?

if-constexpr and pretending that sfinae doesn't exist

#ifdef CPP
#undef life

It's useless if it takes up memory space, which is the case for most C++ compilers.

>It's useless if it takes up memory space
What? This doesn't make sense

agreed. if anything this is an argument IN FAVOUR of references being syntactic sugar for pointers

made some progress
and some money

Even the average codemonkey knows more than /dpt/.
Being a better programmer than the anons in /dpt/ is like being able to pass the 4th grade.
Getting a participation trophy is harder than being better than /dpt/.
It just is an endless stream of garbage of the worst type.
Everyone spewing inane comments, failing to see how completely fucking dumb they are.
Every week there are at least 10 new people who fail to grasp pointers in C. How dumb do you have to be to not understand C-Pointers?
And then the millions of questions from dumb CS-Students wanting their homework to be solved.
All of you should just stick to fucking Java. It was made for the likes of you (50% poo in the loos), and there is no shame in it.
But no, you want to program (insert meme language) because you want to be like the cool kids.
Just fucking stop. If you can't even do your fucking homework don't become a programmer.
If you truly want to become a decent programmer, the first and most productive step is to never post in this faggothole ever again.
Just filter /dpt/ on Sup Forums, or better yet, never come to Sup Forums again. It isn't even a fun waste of time.

How do you organize all your projects?

in a directory

Someone should create a blockchain transaction program for (you) exchanges.

>the first and most productive step is to never post in this faggothole ever again.
The irony.

Tough day at McDonalds, user?

fuck i could do with a mcdonalds now actually. wonder if user is still on shift and phoneposting

>Create solution

Just throw all your projects in one directory? Sounds messy.

A proper reference is just an alias for an already existing allocated memory, no extra allocation is needed.
A shitty reference is just a limited pointer, which as everyone knows, does need memory allocation.

if(*string >= 'a' && *string

lmao

nono, all the source code for all my projects is written line by line in a txt file in the directory. one line per project

github.com/gcc-mirror/gcc/blob/cbcd111ba9a09c7dabd4d753a4d0db4e0e9d3127/gcc/go/go-gcc.cc#L51

Is this the power of OOP?

>Every week there are at least 10 new people who fail to grasp pointers in C. How dumb do you have to be to not understand C-Pointers?
To be fair I had a shit professor for my intro to C++ class. It took me a while to unlearn everything he taught so I could learn C++ properly.

Are you complaining about something specific?

I need a blocking stream to use on a java Socket, so that when reading from it the thread will stop for input.
Which class should I use?

Because it's the best mix of a high abstraction and low abstraction language.

In Haskell this would be 10 lines of code and 9 of those would be documentation

You know I am saying the truth.
The only reason I am here today is because I forgot to filter /dpt/ on my new machine, and saw the utter retardation again while scrolling through the frontpage.
There is no reason to browse /dpt/. It isn't fun. You don't learn anything. The things you do "learn" are often false.
I used to browse /dpt/ too when I was younger, until I realized that it is literally the worst waste of time. And back then /dpt/ wasn't even as bad as it is today!
Then I just left. Which I will do again after this post. Don't bother replying I won't read it.
You leave too. You'll be happier for it. I promise. Just close the tab.

>In Haskell this would be 10 lines of code and 9 of those would be documentation
Probably because that's as far into a real project as a Haskeller can get.

90% of your Haskell source files are documentation?

Nope, this is the standard way of checking if a number is in some interval.

OK i know you're just fucking with me, but this thought blows my mind.

>i-i-it's not like i want to be here... b-baka

incase you're actually serious. it's mainly shitposting going on here. if people want to believe the dumb shit said on here, that's intellectual darwinism

It takes a lot of time to explain all of the monads and coalgebra you've used

wouldn't it be great?
>ah so which project is this 12MiB executable for?
>its just a source file

now that sounds like the elegant and readable source that Haskell so strives to be

>he takes 4chans seriously

I come here when I have a programming question I want to ask. Somtimes I good and helpful answers.

Or I'm just too tired to do any coding myself and feel like helping noobs with their homework.

oh well, thanks.

made me giggle

you have to write a whole paper for each program
the typechecker peer reviews it
if you didn't use enough greek letters it deletes your program

would you rather program in rust and have a trap gf or program in c and have a cat girl gf?

"Lazy Evaluation in Fizzbuzz"

Is udemy or code academy a better place to start to learn? Or should I use both? Which teaches better theory?

BOOKS

Rust with cat gf

Read Clean Code

let σ be the set of all fizzes and Σ the set of all buzzes

friendos has anyone made this meme before or am i a clever cloggs

>reading books by Uncle Memer unironically

>2008

wouldn't some things that the author writes about be outdated 10 years later as far as me trying to reference?

C, no question.

Why do people always act like monads in Haskel are these extremely abstract complicated things? When I started learning it I got these extremely dumbed down explanations that doesn't tell you anything, and I was disappointed when I finally figured out that its just a function that forms a monoid. Everyone talks about it like this mystical thing and I was really kind of excited to learn such advanced things, but it turned out to be such a simple concept that ive used it in multiple programs in the past without anyone telling me it was special. You dont even need category theory like they like to pretend, monoids are one of the simplest algebraic structures used in math.

Are there 'more advanced' concepts in haskel than monads, or this the best they have to offer?