What's a good Linux distribution for basic word processing? I'm going to use it for school...

What's a good Linux distribution for basic word processing? I'm going to use it for school. The processor is kind of old. It's a core 2 duo.

Other urls found in this thread:

lubuntu.me/downloads/
distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=ratings&distro=lxle
gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html
gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html
gnu.org/gnu/gnu-users-never-heard-of-gnu.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just go ubuntu yo

lol, literally any distro m8. linux was made especially for word processing

I guess I'm looking for something fairly lightweight not and resource intensive. I don't need flashy graphics or a Windows 10-like experience. Windows 98-to-XP-like would be just fine.

xubuntu, lubuntu... anything with xfce will be fine.

If it's a fucking core 2 duo chances are you're gonna have to run one of those lightweight window managers (openbox or something) and use LaTeX

Well I doubt that I would have to go to such an extreme measure.

Lubuntu.

>fairly lightweight
>not resource intensive
Xubuntu or Lubuntu
Debian XFCE
Debian w/Openbox

ubuntu flavors don't respect your freedoms

depends on the amount of RAM...

lubuntu or xubuntu would be the easiest to install and they're lightweight (less than 500MB of RAM usage)

What do you mean?

Xubuntu is a little more polished but uses a little more ressources (you can disable compositing though)

Lubuntu is lighter, uses openbox as a windows manager but it's a little rougher on the edges.

lubuntu.me/downloads/

Thanks for all the recommendations so far. It looks like Lubuntu is getting mentioned a lot. I've had concerns with *ubuntu as far as security goes. Maybe they have improved since.

it your computer has less than 1GB of ram you should use Lubuntu alternate version (64bit for a core2duo)

it's the same OS except the installer is lightweight (lubuntu installer actually uses more ram than lubuntu itself)

Note that lubuntu comes with Abiword for word processing, it's not bad but it's less powerful than libreoffice (also it's way lighter).
Of course you can still install libreoffice from the repos...

I'd go with Lubuntu. If you're feeling like it's too lacking, Xubuntu would be the next step above.

Ubuntu MATE. Runs great on my Athlon x2 from 2008. Also consider Abiword word-processor.

Thanks everyone, I am looking into both Lubuntu and Xubuntu now. I have 2GB of RAM but they are from different manufacturers, so I sometimes get BSODs on Windows. Xubuntu only seems to require 512 so if I take out a RAM stick due to memory issues, it seems I would still be ok with Xubuntu. I would definitely be installing Libre Office (I use Open Office on my Windows install).
Why not other versions of Linux? A friend of mine recommended CentOS.

There are dozens of other distros that would do the job, it's just that ...buntus flavors are the easiest to install.
You could go for void or arch + xfce it would be even lighter than xubuntu. just a pain in the ass to install for a beginer.

you van use openoffice too if you're used to it. It's just that libreoffice has somehow taken the edge in the "realm" of open source word processing.

I just happened upon this Lubuntu derivative. Seems like it's pretty good:
distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=ratings&distro=lxle

Mint mate

Fuck every other plebian here user, install gentoo and spit on these lowlifes with me

Running mate on my stream 14. Works great, literal ten hour battery life. Not bad for a $200 Celeron Walmart special

no he can use gnome and kde if he has 2gigs of ram

/thread

btw op, *buntu releases (1604, 1710, etc) could work better or worse on your pc so try with their live cd first

I think I am settling on LXLE. It's a Lubuntu derivative that looks a little nicer. I almost went with Xubuntu.

Stupid decision when MX linux exists tbqh senpai

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

pretty sure I've come across this before
nice trolling

gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html
gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html
gnu.org/gnu/gnu-users-never-heard-of-gnu.html

ok, but that isn't relevant to my question