E-Readers Thread

Hey niggers, any recommendations for a cheap ereader? I ran over my backpack with my old Kindle paperwhite + laptop in it.

Its firmware was actually too new to root it, so maybe I could get something rootable and fuck with it. Although I'm not sure what all is worth actually doing on a hacked kindle.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UN5z2ISuMb4
google.com
mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3531156#post3531156
onyxboox.com/boox_max
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bought a Glo HD last week, I'm loving it.

I like Kobo but considering you may have a kindle library, maybe look at one of the android readers?

get a old kindle retard

AlI want is someone to sell me a workin Kobo Mini for a reasonable price.

What's so great about the Kobo? Heard it mentioned multiple times before.

What's the minimum model kindle to get? Paperwhite 1st gens are only $35-40 on ebay but what if I went even older?

Kobo is good to read on, quality device with a good book store. Supports all book formats too and easy to read epubs from the net. Also no amazong.

I've been researching it, looks ok but seeing as used Kobo Aura's and Kindle Paperwhites are priced on ebay (both ~$30), I think I might rather go with the jewazon version to preserve my old library. Plus all the features like syncing your place across your devices and stuff is pretty nice.

Yeah you need to consider your library, but also take a look at the android ereaders they're getting pretty good and can read anything.

I just got a kindle 3 (keyboard) on ebay for $25. It doesn't have a backlight or touchscreen but it does have physical page turn buttons on both sides. Good size and weight too.

Got a Kindle E-ink when they were on sale for $60. It's great. 5+ day battery life (reading accumulated 4 hours throughout the day). 4GB on board storage, so more than enough for a large collection.

I'm basing it all on buying books from the Kindle store though. I can't speak for getting stuff on there from a pre-existing collection.

How have the Onyx Boox readers been? They're releasing big ones like the Note or Max 2 and I'm interested.

youtube.com/watch?v=UN5z2ISuMb4

doesn't calibre break amazon drm?

physical buttons are a must for me at this point.

Nook glowlight 3

Give me one that's free of botnet.

Just save money and buy the kindle again on eBay. There's nothing worth doing with a rooted one anyway.

>doesn't calibre break amazon drm?
it's a pain to setup tho.

>gui software
>pain to setup

asked for advice about e-readers here myself too, only thing I see is "I have x, it's great" with x being usually kobo or kindle. No real comparison or actual information. I've been looking at Pocketbook touch HD 2 myself, because it seems to have it all (Carta display, microsd, audio, support for multiple format, and nice quick UI) but seems like no one knows about it.

Is a Kindle Fire Paperwhite worth it?

Any feedback/venting from any owners here on Sup Forums?

What are the price tags on these?

They look OK, looks like they are android? Maybe they work with Amazong and Kobo apps too?

Mate they're a fuckin electric book. You read books on them, and sometimes buy them. What more do you need to know? Kobo makes reading easy, has pocket which I like. That's all it needs to do.

I got pocketbook touch lux 3 and it's pretty fucking great, been using it for more than a year and I got no complaints

>books
>buy

Ok so which of these multitudinous shitty ereaders is the cheapest?

As far as I'm concerned they're all the same as long as they have an e-ink screen. So can I do better than the $35 scratch & dent Kindle Paperwhites on ebay?

Also what are these android ereaders like are talking about? Looks like there's a ton of em, no idea how to choose between

Handy link: google.com

Can the Swindle be hacked to accept EPUB files?

I'm having trouble deciding between Kobo Aura One and H 1st edition.

Is the price justified? One is double the price of H2O 1st ed

I always try to search best options for the money, I don't buy shit blind. I want the best options out of that e-ink display-device. You can go buy yourself a kindle because your friend said "it just werks", and come here telling people who try to compare devices that "you read buks tf you want more" but that won't change me to be retard like you.

It uses Android 6.0 Amazon and Kobo apps probably work on that.

Leaning more on the H2O 1st ed. I have it and the size is okay. The microSD card helps too if you're reading manga.
Aura One has the comfortlight but heard that there are some inconsistencies with using that feature. It is bigger and might still be portable for you.
None of them are good for PDFs though

>portable
didn't think of that one.

>shit PDF
Yeah, I expected that.

What do you mean about the comfortlight inconsistencies?

Aura One has 2 kinds of LEDs, white and red. White is the usual light seen in most ereaders. Comfortlight is using the red LEDs to help you sleep better.
The lighting of the red is not as consistent compared to the white. This makes the screen have some portion not to be as red as the other portions.
The comfortlight can only be an issue if you actually use it. Personally, using those red lights make my head hurt.

thanks a bunch man for the detailed answer.

don't think so

I have a Kobo Aura 2. I like it but it isn't perfect

Pros:
>battery life is good. If your environment is bright enough to read it without backlight it will last for months
>resolution high enough to actually be able to look at images (relevant since I use it for chess books a lot)
>supports pirated shit (relevant since I'm a poorfag)
>not expensive at €119
>f.lux like blue light filter
>reading statistics are pretty cool
>somewhat functional web browser

Cons
>sometimes it takes like 3 seconds to turn a page. I know e-ink is slow but wtf
>reading a PDF in anything but full screen is annoying as fuck. The zoom/scroll controls are shit.
>The sleep cover (€49) seems to wake up the reader when it's in my bag and sometimes move the pages and shit. Pretty annoying. I still use it to protect the reader and to set it up like pic relatedc(disabled the wake up on open setting) but I could have gotten a €14 cover for that.

It was a present so I never really looked at different models and their advantages.

all of them are good enough for pdfs if you install koreader

Any good larger than 6' reader out there? Need to upgrade my sony t1. Not interested in kindle because I am downloading books from b-ok and that probably wouldn't work with amazon...

koreader isn't enough for me. A lot of the PDFs I read use a two column format with small text. It works great with manga and their big text though.

are you able to invert the text color?

Like, have a black background with white text?

what would that be like for taling notes? is it responsive/fast enough to write on?

Recommend me something.
I use a reader for course material, textbooks and other books. Would be nice to have colors cause some of these have diagrams and shit but a decent grey scale will do.
The reader I currently use which is over 5 yo now takes seconds to turn a page and sometimes freezes/glitches. This is not acceptable.
I download everything on my PC and transfer it to the device by USB so I don't care about online shops and repos. Lack of shopping bloatware preferred but if it has a shop it's fine.
And of course I don't want to spend too much.

Not out of the box but it's possible. mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3531156#post3531156
Never tried (not sure if the functionality is even there) but I don't think any e-reader would be able to do that. Even most new E-ink displays still have a 1 or 2Hz refresh rate I think. You want a tablet for that.

where did you buy it ? it's not in production for years

>cheapest
you shouldn't buy only based on price, as you are probably going to use it for several years, and be reading books for several hundred of hours.
buy what's good.

I have a load of pdf's that read terrible on e-ink readers. Can anyone recommend a cheapish tablet I could use to read them on in the UK?

Speaking of readers.
What changes happened to them in the last 5 years or so?

Just use Calibre and convert.

The Csrta displays got better resolution while back, no idea how many years ago tho. Other than that, nothing I guess? maybe waterproofing is somewhat new thing?

Nothing. Many patents expiring this year though.

my recommendation for textbooks is just get a good tablet or stick to using your laptop to be honest

I know e-ink beats normal displays but you wont find any good e-reader for images or complex formating and if you do the screen will be too small and youll be zooming around pdf files awkwardly

e-readers are far from tablets, even on my kindle 3 with physical keyboard buttons its horrible trying to write stuff, they are designed so you can look up a word by placing your cursor on it when you stumble it while reading, all manual input is awkward as fuck

Its been a while but im confident you can put your stuff on the latest kindles, unless they really changed something with their firmware and I doubt they would since they know most people who buy the device will also want to download books, if the firmware prevents you theres definitely some guy out there who figured out how to deal with it, this shit is much simpler than rooting a smartphone guys

unless youre buying a piece of crap that nobody has heard of most big e-readers are excellent e-ink displays and theres not much else to say really, theyre definitely worth over 100 USD, shit ive had mine for so many years ive lost count

by the way does any ereader have text-speech? my kindle does but it was in "experimental" category alongside music player, curious if these are now standard features

Kobo Glo HD

/thread
best e-reader of all time

>they replaced the Glo HD with the Aura, basically the same thing but low resolution
>if you want high resolution you need to buy the bigger, more expensive model
it's fucking bullshit

Thinking about a Kindle, Kobo and Nook don't exist and are overpriced where I live
Is the normal entry level one fine enough? Is the Paperwhite so good that it's worth almost double the price?
The backlight isn't a priority since I want the e-reader to be better for my eyes than a normal screen

Third world shithole, they're still sold new here.

Agreed.

I've got Cybook HD on christmas. It's pretty gud.

Isnt a 6 inch screen too small?

You get used to it. Font settings help too.

I don't understand some things about ereaders. They have such crappy hardware and have been around forever but,

>prices are not coming down, new ereaders are the same price (or more as the old ones)
>the halfway decent ones with high dpi are super expensive
>they're good for literally only one thing
>ebooks cost as much if not more than paper books despite the obviously reduced cost of distributing books electronically

I like how the screens read in the daytime, but it seems like market forces aren't working properly on them, which makes it hard to find the value in buying one. Are they for the only the most hardcore of bookworms or what?

Kobo Aura or Glo varieties are the best and I'm pretty sure all current firmwares are rootable. Use koreader for better PDF support, cropping, a fuckton of other stuff, and the ability to use directories to sort your books.

>>prices are not coming down, new ereaders are the same price
Because AFAIK readers market is pretty much a oligopoly, there are no 1000 and 1 cheap chinese companies that force prices down.
>>ebooks cost as much if not more than paper books despite the obviously reduced cost of distributing books electronically
Laughs in Pirate

Most of it has to do with the market share, Amazon and Kobo are the only two big ones and Amazon has basically a monopoly and can dictate the prices, i.e. at least $120 if you want a backlight.
>prices are not coming down
Well I don't expect a $30 ereader now tbdesu
>ebooks cost as much
either pirate or use another shop. Almost any shop has ebooks at least at half price compared to paper

OP here, I just snagged a Paperwhite 5th gen mint condition for $27 on ebay. Cya

go measure a standard novel and let me know how big it is

>>ebooks cost as much if not more than paper books
when you move once every couple years you begin to realize how much of a pain in the dick it is to move an entire library of books. ereaders solve this for me.

Kobo H2O version 1 is the best, $120.

>nobody makes a 6"+ ereader with a frontlit screen and usable storage space except amazon, and they charge 350 for the good model

fuck the illiterate savages around me in burgerland for keeping ereaders such a niche market that there's an effective monopoly and little or no pressure to R&D better screens - we should have had fucking mirasol in large formats with full refreshes in single-digit milliseconds by now

Most of my books are pdfs

You're missing out

Just use calibre to convert them to epub, works like a charm.

What are you talking about? Plenty of ereaders to that spec. What the fuck is wrong with you people can't you use google?

screen greater than 6 inches, front-lit, with 8+gb of internal storage, under 350/not amazon?

do reveal your secrets, internet wizard, because I sure as fuck can't find anything matching those specs with my inferior skills

>Third world shithole, they're still sold new here.
that's racist

Are you me? I thought the same as you. I will get mine in a few days, it seemed like the best one out there that's not part of a specific bookstore..

>i'll make someone shill my product for me

you bought the best. did you install Kobo Start Menu and KOReader on it?

Dude you suck lol KYS.

Nope, airplane mode as soon I took it out of the box.

Kobo Aura H20 (edition 2)
Kobo Aura ONE
Tolino Epos
Icarus Illumina XL HD
Icarus Illumina Pro

Is there anything 10 or 13 inches below 400 bucks and a decent refresh rate? Or I'll never get into d&d again :/

>10 or 13 inches
The biggest e-readers I know are 9.7". Why don't you just get a tablet if refresh rate and size is important? There's plenty of 10-13" tablets and all of them have a better refresh rate than any e-reader

Don't listen to this faggots, Kobo may look good with it's 8 in screen, but is slow as fuck and everything is manual to pirate/put manga on it

Get the Oasis 2017, I jumped from the Kobo and has all the manga features from the japanese paperwhite , plus 32 gb and page turning is super quick

>The lighting of the red is not as consistent compared to the white. This makes the screen have some portion not to be as red as the other portions.
The comfortlight can only be an issue if you actually use it. Personally, using those red lights make my head hurt.
I was going to get a Kobo H2O Edition 2 for the Komfort Lite Pro. Are you saying it wouldn't be worth it for someone who often reads in bed? I'm bummed the second edition model doesn't have the card reader its predecessor had especially since I would like to use it to read some manga here and there. I definitely want an e-reader that's front-lit because I take a shuttle bus for the disabled to commute to work and on the commute home it's totally dark in that bus. I recently realized I could get a lot of reading done if I bring a book or e-reader with me on my commute. I'm also just flat-out out of space for books. I'm a little basement dweller surrounded by books I'm not sure if I want to get rid of.

>reading comics

it's manga, not comics, you ignorant fuck

onyxboox.com/boox_max

>manga aren't comics

>Manga (漫画 Manga) are comics created in Japan or by creators in the Japanese language, conforming to a style developed in Japan in the late 19th century.[1]

I only know that Aura One has those quality control issues. Maybe they did improve on the H2O 2nd ed. I didn't check since the 1st edition is good enough for me.

The Aura h2o has 300dpi

>tfw broke mine and can't buy another

I'm interested in reading some comics on my Kindle. How'd you go about getting them on there?

Sad. Are those new Auras any good?

>n*****s
>Sup Forums

i have a paperwhite. its wonderful

Bump

>page 4

Are there any libre-free Stallman-approved e-readers? I'm not serious about it, just curious.

>hey niggers
>hey fellow Sup Forums users