Help me choose my next laptop! I have a healthy budget, so pretty much anything goes

Help me choose my next laptop! I have a healthy budget, so pretty much anything goes.
I don't want to buy some overhyped, overpriced piece of shit, but it doesn't have to be the speediest of the machines. I use it for work which mostly means word/excell and occasionally youtube and League of Legends. I'd like a good screen tho

Other urls found in this thread:

tehnoetic.com/laptops/tet-t500
tehnoetic.com/laptops/tet-t400
tehnoetic.com/laptops/tet-x200
tehnoetic.com/laptops/tet-x200t
amazon.com/VivoBook-i7-8550U-GeForce-Windows-S510UN-EH76/dp/B0786TPWBP/ref=sr_1_32?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1517764167&sr=1-32&keywords=laptop&refinements=p_n_feature_seven_browse-bin:3012497011
amazon.es/gp/aw/d/B071RGDQT1/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?__mk_es_ES=ÅMÅZÕÑ&qid=1517769008&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=ASUS GL553VD-DM470&dpPl=1&dpID=41CoyOYrMcL
amazon.com/MSI-PL62-7RC-001-Professional-i7-7700HQ/dp/B0721DVQ4Q?th=1&psc=1
youtube.com/watch?v=ZDXYO8Mqw4A
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

HP Ghost and Ghost Pro, HP Envy, Lenovo Thinkpad/Ideapad (Non meme ones), Origin or Asus laptops should also do nice.

MSI Ghost Pro, sorry, or HP Omen

thinkpad t500 with libreboot: tehnoetic.com/laptops/tet-t500
It's a 15 inch screen though, so it might be too big for your tastes. Their are 14/12 inch variants though:
tehnoetic.com/laptops/tet-t400 (14 inch)
tehnoetic.com/laptops/tet-x200 (12 inch, no touchpad but the trackpoint is much better to use)
tehnoetic.com/laptops/tet-x200t (12 inch tablet edition, no touchpad, but the trackpoint is much better to use)

No laptop recommendations, but stop playing League. Shit rots your brain.

OP said he wants your recommendation on laptops, not a recommendation on shitty unusable libreboots and other kinds of autistic OS variants. Maybe OP wants to run Windows on it and doesn't care about your libre-banter because he is not a screeching autist.

Xiaomi Notebook pro. Best laptop for its value there is today. Great specs, great design, great build quality for a fair price. Unless you're not using an us keyboard layout, then this miracle of technology is a curse, because there's no other laptop that can challange this godly device without costing a shit ton of shekels more but you need your languages default layout.

XPS 15

Fuck off with your chink shit.

Are the midrange laptops and midrange intel nucs comparable?

I need either to be pretty much stationary.
Already have a spare ssd, screen, audio setup etc for a nuc.

Wait for 8th gen nucs maybe?

You do realize that more or less any technology you use is at least partially manufactured in china? And unlike those noname copys xiaomis products have a good quality and are doing really well in china itself. The company is only 7-8 years old and was market leader in smartphone sales in China for a short time.

So you wanna carry a screen around? In almost any case a laptop is more reasonable.

Thinkpad T60.

You've described pretty much any laptop in the past five years

I'm undecided between getting the note pro or a thinkpad w530.

Xiaomi Notebook Pro[Pro] (i will use the i5/8GB version in this comparison)
Thinkpad w530[w530]
Then let's compare them:
CPU:
The Pro's i5 8250u is a bit faster (up to 10%) than the 3720MQ/3740MQ. Also you can increase the tdp budged of the 8250u so it's kinda like overclocking to increase this performance lead. The Pro's i5 is a 15W chip, the w530's i7 is a 35W chip.

GPU:
The w530 uses a Nvidia Quadro K2000M which is compareable to a GeForce GT 650. The Pro uses a mx 150 which has double the computing power and has half the tdp of the Nvidia Quadro K2000M.

Display:
The w530 uses a good tn panel for it's time. It's able to show a lot more colors than the Pro's ips display, but has worse viewing angles.

Case:
The w530 isn't as great as the legendary thinkpad cases like a 420 has, but it's still great. The Pro's case is also good: It's a full metal case with good stability, but there are some complains about the backside.

Battery:
The w530 has a 50% bigger battery (assuming you are using the 94Wh battery) which is necessary because the almost double as high normal power consumption (~19W). The Pro has a 60Wh Battery but consumes only ~10W. Normal use u habe like 6:30h on the w530 and 8:00h on the Pro.

Throtteling, temps and noise:
The w530 is throtteling a lot more than the pro(just normal because its older parts consume more energy) and is also a bit hotter, meanwhile the Pro's fan are a bit louder.

Keyboard and Trackpad:
The w530 has a great keyboard but the Pro's keyboard isn't bad either. The w530 has the the famous trackpoint but the Pro's trackpad is good too so....i guess it comes down to personal preferences.

Weight: w530: 2,8kg vs Pro: 1,9kg.

Design: Unless you love old thinkpads the Pro has by far the better design.

RAM & Modularity: You can't change the Pro's Ram. Big disadvantage here. Pro can hold two nvme drives, w530 up to two 2,5" drives.

Price: The w530 should be a bit cheaper used than the Pro is new.

Your choice.

650m* not 650

almost forgot. the w530 can come with an umts module.

Thank you user.

Don't thank me, thank my prof for making the lectures that boring that i would do this for you just so i don't have to learn.

great post now i kinda want a new laptop

this shit:
amazon.com/VivoBook-i7-8550U-GeForce-Windows-S510UN-EH76/dp/B0786TPWBP/ref=sr_1_32?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1517764167&sr=1-32&keywords=laptop&refinements=p_n_feature_seven_browse-bin:3012497011

it has mx150 so league should play pretty damn nice. but it has about 6 hours of battery, if you are okay with that

i'm using that laptop right now lol
the model I have has shit battery life but otherwise the specs are way better than most at the same price point

XPS 15 I have is almost perfect, has great perfs for the size. I hear the latest has fixed coil whine, so it's most likely perfect.

Doesn’t every laptop basically break down after a few years

No? These are things that might happen:

- Your shitty plastic laptop case gets damaged from use over time. Solution: Buy devices with good stability and bild quality
- You drop your laptop or step on it or sone shit. Solution: don't.
- Your laptops ram dies. Solution: Buy a laptop with replaceable ram.
- Your laptops hdd/ssd dies. Solution: Replace it.

Also clean that piece of shit regularly or the fans will be full of dust and it might overheat (experienced it myself not funny if your laptop can only work in power saving mode at 800Mhz to not hit 100°C.

What about this one
amazon.es/gp/aw/d/B071RGDQT1/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?__mk_es_ES=ÅMÅZÕÑ&qid=1517769008&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=ASUS GL553VD-DM470&dpPl=1&dpID=41CoyOYrMcL

Forget "gayming" Laptops. Terrible battery life and the shittiest case they could find. The build quality is just shit compared to a laptop with a proper metal case.

depends. we've reached an age of max-q laptops that aren't faggy gamer aesthetic

Typical Sup Forums poster

recently (~5mos ago) got an Asus Zenbook, I'll say it's really nice other than you won't be able to disassemble it without some difficulty

pros:
-amazing battery life (have gotten 11hrs reading PDFs and using airplane mode)
-really light
-fingerprint scanner for login (though it's not the greatest scanner)
-runs cool, fan is rarely heard, handles everything I need it to do (Office, Altium Designer, web browsing)

cons:
-good luck disassembling it
-display isn't the brightest
-trackpad has some mild issues with multi-touch
aluminum so scratches are a risk

if battery life is your deal then the new lg gram is probably a good bet

also the new thinkpad x1 carbon

MaxQ doesn't define build quality or battery life, only how slim and silent they have to be. Gayming laptops come with hq processors and throw away energy whenever there's a chance. Also because gaymers are primarily shopping for specs they don't care if their devices case is just some cheap plastic that is going to be damaged in a few years. Best example is Also for the prices of some MaxQ Laptops you could just grab a good laptop like a surface with a gaming capable graphics card. Therefore, gayming laptops are indeed useless. Tgr cheap ones are absolutely garbage and the expensive ones have to compete with products that have excellent build quality, great cases and long battery lifes.

You truly are helping this conversation. Thank you for your contribution.

So in your opinion what is the best laptop?? I'm also looking for a gaming capable laptop (just for playing games occasionally) with a great and durable case/battery life without surpassing 1000$

If your getting zenbook, go for the 7700hq or 8th gen version.

I suppose you're from burgerland, so it's a bit hard for me because i don't really know your specific market that well. What kind of graphic performance do you need? Which trade of a laptops are important or less important for you? I. E. Weight, Battery life, Upgradeability, Screen(especially features like refresh rate, colors, tn/ips), size, case material and build quality, (no) branding, graphic performance, cpu performance, keyboard (layout, numpad) extra quiet, extra thin, extremly robust, good linux support etc

For under thousand bucks i would go for a cheaper ultrabook like laptop. Metal case, ips screen i5 8250u and mx150 (or ryzen 5 2500u). Maybe hp envy x360 or zenbook if you find one of those for sale. Something like that, there are obviously a few other brands that produce laptops like that. You could also go for a xiaomi Notebook pro, but that one would be far more compelling for europeans. Personally i would maybe take a look at the envy x360 with Ryzen 5. Graphics performance is a bit down compared to the mx150 but just yesterday someone posted an Amazon link to it for 650$ which would be pretty cheap.

Oh man I also assumed that you where from there, sorry about that.
I'm from France and the graphic performance is not very important, just enough to play occasionally some vidya (medium settings).
I prefer 15'6 inch and i5 at least, a durable material and good build quality.
Rest of specs doesn't matter

What's the general opinion of the Mi notebook pro and and its non upgradable ram?

Diese Franzmänner, 36 Tage bis Paris....

Which gaymes do you want to play? That is rather important. Games like CSGO and Minecraft are just cpu dependend (csgo low settings), games like rocket league work on almost any dedicated graphics card from the last years. games like overwatch definitly need something like a mx150. your triple a titles would rather have at least a 1050 which would put you at at least 1000€ if you don't want some plastic shit with terrible battery life.

If you are indeed living in france there is a sale right now of the xiaomi notebook pro (709€ from germany). but it comes only with a qwerty layout.

non upgradeable. i would buy it if i had to buy it from china. but rn there's a sale for the german warehouse so brb i'm gonna buy a notebook.

Anyone how about this?
amazon.com/MSI-PL62-7RC-001-Professional-i7-7700HQ/dp/B0721DVQ4Q?th=1&psc=1

youtube.com/watch?v=ZDXYO8Mqw4A

It depends what model he gets. Some of the Zenbooks aren't at all difficult to disassemble.

okay nevermind it's 709 from china only to germany, switzerland and austria.

Episode I – The Phantom CLICKBAIT

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it yet, but the Macbook Pro 15" (i7 2.9ghz with 512GB SSD) is probably the best option, and it's fairly affordable right now.

Fuck off Linus.

what website?

Gearbest. For chinese products pretty trustworthy.

I don't think you understand what "fairly affordable" is for a notebook.

I liked kekpad carbon, wish screen was 15 inch but there are probably other versions of them.

t. gaybook pro user

n580vd

any recs for a laptop with
good/great battery life (6hrs+, coming from a MBP)
decent keyboard
on the more portable side
decent specs (dont need dedicated gpu, run of the mill cpu)
cheap as possible

P
How cheap do you want. There is quite the difference between a $400 and $500 laptop. give me a range.

around £300, but as cheap as possible. I'm willing to buy second hand.
I was looking at ThinkPads, but I don'y think their battery life is the best.

Used ThinkPad X- or T-series.

buy a used x220, upgrade ram, add ssd, install gentoo.

Anything else is squib-tier.

Until you have a single issue and it becomes a worthless brick because of non existent warranty.

>implying it'll ever have an issue.

This. I don't know what your experience with laptops was but i never had a problem that required warranty.