Gnome Files vs Dolphin

Which is the better file manager and why?

Dolphin because fuck the Gnome devs

It's called Nautilus, you retarded monkey.
And it's absolute fucking shit, Dolphin is the undisputed king of Linux file managers. GNOME is a fucking piece of shit that only removes features and never fixes anything important.
GNOME is the biggest piece of shit in the Linux world, fuck GNOME.

Dolphin is the best file manager on Linux, this has been the case for a very long time

>comparing the best file manager to the worst
At least give Nautilus a chance and compare it with Pantheon Files or something.

Nautilus still can't enter path manually, what a joke
also enforces minimal width which is over 45% of screen on my machine

>It's called Nautilus, you retarded monkey.
They're renaming it to Files.
That name will also change depending on your language settings (if spanish, it will use the spanish word for files, etc).
They're doing that for many of their desktop tools. For example, Epiphany browser is now Web.
I actually don't mind it. It makes the whole thing seem more polished. Windows has "File Explorer." From the title, even someone who's never touched Windows has a general idea of what it is. "What the hell is a nautilus? What is Dolphin? Isn't that an emulator?"
The stuff is named based on what it is or does now.

PCmanFM is the patrician choice

>even someone who's never touched Windows has a general idea of what it is. "What the hell is a nautilus? What is Dolphin? Isn't that an emulator?"
>The stuff is named based on what it is or does now.
>what the hell is iTunes
>what the hell is Safari
>what the hell is mission control
>what the hell is siri

Trust me the names are not the most pressing issues that Gnome is facing

still? unless they removed it of course, it's ctrl+L since gnome 2. caja still has it

>They're renaming it to Files
It's already a thing on Solus. Although, it's still Nautilus if you list installed packages.

Thunar

As is always the case whenever it's a Gnome app vs KDE app:
>Gnome
Absolutely beautiful, but barely functional.
>KDE
Incredibly functional, but ugly as shit.

Why can't these two teams just work together? Imagine what we'd have by now if we had the design sense of Gnome with the technical expertise of KDE.

I don't know what working together is or does sorry

This.

>As is always the case whenever it's a Gnome app vs KDE app:
>>Gnome
>Absolutely beautiful, but barely functional.
>>KDE
>Incredibly functional, but ugly as shit.
>Why can't these two teams just work together? Imagine what we'd have by now if we had the design sense of Gnome with the technical expertise of KDE.

This may be true, however KDE can be tweaked so much that it can look like any other DE available on Linux.

Although the Opensuse variant of KDE looks good IMO

Can't tweak the individual applications to look like Gnome ones though.

touche

What's ugly about the right one?

ranger, no contest

Nemo

>got to Gnome Gitlab
>tfw

ctrl+L is too hard?

thunar because of the cool manly logo. also just works and doesn't get in the way

It's not too bad on its own I guess, but when it's sitting next to the Gnome one it just looks inferior. I hate the Gnome CSDs on a technical level, but in terms of aesthetics they do look damn nice sometimes. Plus GTK themes always just seem to look better. I dunno man. The fonts look nicer too on the Gnome screenshot. I know that stuff can be changed, but just out of the box Gnome seems to have way better defaults. The layout of Gnome Files is simpler and cleaner too, with less junk everywhere in your face.

Do you get thumbnails in Ranger?

>but just out of the box Gnome seems to have way better defaults
Neither of those are anywhere near default. Well, I guess the Gnome one is since it doesn't let you change much.

This right here Is close to default Dolphin, minus the window border of course.

you get a preview of the currently highlighted file. Images, videos, text, pdf, etc.. all work

That looks way worse though, so that just reinforces the point that Gnome has much better defaults.

refer to You're just saying "It looks shit" without ever explaining why. In fact that's all I ever see posted about KDEs looks. "It's shit", nothing else.

Meanwhile Nautilus can't even dynamically space out icons and just adds whitespace to the right. Now that's ugly.

Not him but that's just your opinion man.

I have no idea what Dolphin is or does, sorry.

just press /

/thread

Gnome just because of the header. God damn do I hate titlebars.

t. Tobias Bernard

PCManFM