/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

j-mag.org/2018/02/02/lovelive_solocd_jacket/
superlust.myl2mr.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=J-eoxQLJHZk
head-case.org/forums/topic/10215-stax-and-other-electrostatic-amp-information/
reddit.com/user/canucklehead83/comments/
pouet.net/party.php?which=1655&when=2018
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

why are dynamic owners so insecure about their purchases? constantly they graph post and willingly subject themselves to measurement bias before listening to a headphone. is their audio reproduction method so inferior to electrostatics that they actually have to compare measurements to know that it is indeed good enough?

Idol trash here.
Are you ready for the Love Live Memorial Box III, user?
j-mag.org/2018/02/02/lovelive_solocd_jacket/

>genuine artificial leather
The irony of Staxkids thinking pleather is comfortable is funny but sad.

Feet

pleather is actually more maleable than lambskin which is more stiff. it's more comfortable. but you can get lambskin pads for your stax so what's the issue here? L700, 007, and 009 all have lambskin

I can just buy non trash headphones too. From a company not inept to charge $1500 for heapdhones literally made out of plastic. Oh wait I got em already.

Keep fighting, dynamicuck. That issue's as gone as the superiority dynamicucks never had

Aluminum :^)

I know you're trolling, but you're advocating the abolition of cheap, high quality electrostat headphones by criticizing the plastic-pleather lambdas.

so basically your criticisms are:

>they don't use heavy materials that make the headphone cost and feel more expensive than they really are
>it is too expensive for me
>pleather vs leather
>REEEEEE

>abolition of cheap, high quality electrostat headphones
I haven't seen either. At least not from Stax.

Wew, they're getting hasty

Some people actually want bass from their headphones you know.

>Budget
$35, flexible
>Location
USA
>Source
3.5mm jack, phone and computer
>Type
IEM
>Comfort
Preferably pretty comfy, my old IEMs that came with my phone (or are they called earbuds? Idk) always slipped out of my ears. Pic related looks similar to my old ones.
>Past headphones
Like I said before my old Samsung earbuds would always fall out of my ears. On my PC I usually use a gaymer headset (HyperX Cloud II) but I would also like some light IEMs just for casual stuff and for listening during the summer without getting my ears all sweaty.

Having memory problems? we've been through this several threads ago. Then again, not surprising for those preferring sound delivered through hunks of plastic and copper glued together.

Interesting that those "some people" never seemed to give a shit about electrostatic headphones until their weeb company released a limited edition headphones, which launched them into stupor of low quality shitposting and shilling, accompanied by pictures of cartoons. Really makes you think.

You shills are pathetic as fuck and the reason why neo-/hpg/ is low quality. Even fucking r/headphones has better discussions now.

cheap headphone busting tunes, streaming live from the server room

superlust.myl2mr.com/

hop in faggots

>You shills are pathetic as fuck and the reason why neo-/hpg/ is low quality
my sides

this may sound utterly retarded but how am I supposed to connect a magni 3 to my pc?

We've discussed how sealed stax are linear deep in to infrasound, and how their power handling abilities allow them to produce this infrasound at uncomfortable frequencies.

>shills

Stax have never been a sponsor of head-fi, unlike Sennheiser.

uncomfortable amplitudes*

No. r/headphones will always be r/headphones, a place of Schiit shill, a place of even more hardcore HD600/650 nutcases and a place where people constantly post irrelevant pictures of m50x and HD6xx no one cares about.

>japanese, chinese owned company that doesn't give a flying shit about western market has never been a sponsor of a burger hi-fi forum.
Who the fuck would guess, definitely not me!

Stax barely bothers with customer contact with anyone outside japan, much less paying shills. Their idea of online presence is a phone number and a mailing address like it's the year 2000. They depend on their distributors to carry that load almost exclusively.

friendly reminder that this is now neo-/hpg/ aka the stax owners club aka the superior transducer forum

post your music players lads.

Tell that to those inveighing about shills.

friendly reminder that you should work on your mental issues by going to a doctor, instead of taking it out by shitposting on anonymous imageboards

Just when you thought you had seen everything.

user what do you think Sup Forums is?

what is that

An online community that would be better without you.

Probably autistic or just clueless. Some people are like that, even functioning ones.

A place to unleash the buttmad.

Someone seems angry

youtube.com/watch?v=J-eoxQLJHZk

just the typical sennheiser user

I want to suck those toes

Hd600s make good beater cans, the hd598 prolly works too

The end of February will be the end of the old dynacuck-filled /hpg/ my brother.
Bow down to the STAX.

volumio
just how loud was he listening to his music anyways?

Mine is dead dull, but has all the info I need. I've got it shuffled off on one of my side monitors. The channel and level stuff is especially good for telling if something is offcenter in the master or clipped somewhere. Hearing stuff like drum machine samples cutting off at 80hz or a channel fading in an old tape rip will drive you nuts otherwise.

I don't give a fuck about looks

Loud enough for people to hear him obviously, particularly when he used them on the train which are extremely noisy. Have you ever used headphones with low isolation ? you need to crank up the volume to be able to listen to the music if your environment is not silent.
I'd agree it's possible to keep your open headphones silent in a room that's silent and still hear music at an acceptable, enjoyable volume. But if there's any noise around you, you need to crank that shit up.

>mocp
Cmus is so much better.
>awesome
Bloated laggy PoS. Try i3 sometime.

they know it's coming, they can smell it

i know that but i meant about the dude hearing his hd598 downstairs.
i prefer iems myself if im out and about you know.

>Budget
~100€. Can stretch above, up to ~150€ I'd say (unless the value is exceptional for something a bit more expensive)
>Location
Yurop. France.
>Source
Most likely LG G6 with Quad DAC. Probably also Sabaj DA2.
>Type of headphone
IEMs
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Comfortable enough to wear for ~2 hours a time, with occasional longer sessions
>Sound signature
Neutral.
>Past headphones
AKG K701 and K7XX, Beyerdynamic DT880/990, Logitech UE6000, AKG K550, Focal Spirit Pro, Eytimotic hf5 going with only the ones I like and have used for quite some time. I use a KZ ZST currently, but I don't like them much for some reason.

I'm looking at the Massdrop Pinnacle PX, they seem to fit the bill for what I'm looking. Do they ?

'bloated' dude if the difference between awesome and i3 is bloat for you why aren't you using down modded to your needs. This should fit your Ayatollah views even better. No useless code for parsing config files and the likes.

Dwm*

>why aren't you using down modded to your needs.
It's hopeless. It's laggy (hundreds of ms) at simple shit like switching between desktops that have a single window in them (simple AF case).
>dwm
Pretty nice, but no unicode w/o 3rd party patches. i3's really the just right of WMs.

is there any real reason to use an amp

You have the hf5 and you believe there's an upgrade you can buy at that price point? Stick to them or save for the ER4XR

>Budget
$200 USD. I can go to $250, but I'd really like to keep it below $200.
>Location
USA
>Source
I have nothing special, just my computer's soundcard
>Type of headphone
Full-sized only
>Open or closed
Doesn't really matter to me. These will be used inside only.
>Comfort level
As comfortable as it can get. I wear glasses and will wear them upwards of nine-ten hours a day.
>Sound signature
>Past headphones
[spoiler]Seinnheiser Game One[/spoiler]

They're for gaming and music, not mutually exclusive. I'm not looking for immersive sound either, since the games I play aren't really like that.

What's the best bang-for-buck bluetooth receiver? Preferably under 100$, but if it can act as an usb dac too, I can spend some more (and get rid of my FiiO K1).
I like K1 a lot, but I'd rather have one device than two.
I got myself MPOW (bt 4.1 version) a few months ago, but apparently the static noise is so friggin loud I can't use it for anything.

ASCII is enough characters for the only human language one needs.

To make things louder. If your DAC doesn't have a volume control (not a problem with a computer source). Or if you actually need to drive some really hard bitches like stats. Average electrostat is like 170k ohm impedance.

AD700X

>Cmus is so much better.
Meh, I prefer mocp, more comfy.
>Awesome
Xfce for the win.
But I need to try i3 some time soon.

>bluetooth

So I've now got 3 options for a STAX amp, SRM-313, SRM-252S and SRM-1 (non-MK2), all at the same price, which is best ?

I was thinking this too, but I read from a lot of places that they're not very comfortable. Are they full of shit?

head-case.org/forums/topic/10215-stax-and-other-electrostatic-amp-information/

They are extremely light, the pads are big enough and you don't really feel the headband on your head. Some people with tiny heads seem to have trouble to have them stick to their head but it can be fixed by putting some rubber band to attach the two wings. Personally I didn't need to because the wing system works fine for me.
Sound quality is great, not neutral but still very natural response, no over emphasized bass, it sounds cleaner and less muddy than a 558, the trebles are a bit smoothed and like the HD 5xx series they have no need for amps. If you feel unsafe about the wing system the HD579 would also be a good option but the problem is overblown.

Yes.

313. Join me user.

oh, btw answer you are looking for is srm-1 mk2 ~= 313 > srm-1 mk1 ~= 252S... or something like that. I honestly don't know. I would grab the 313

Also seems like the 313 I'm looking at has the 240v output so it's gonna be much easier to deal with for me.
Thanks for your answers guys, gonna PM the seller right away.

You seem to be pretty confident in them, so I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. Thanks user.

My hf5 have been dead for years. Audio-wise they were great, but the cable was terrible. And I know that my sweat will ruin them rather fast, again.

I tried stats before, didn't like their uncomfortable squarish design and the sound lacked body and punch. I also didn't fancy the idea of spending hundreds of dollars on a product that has zero after sales support.

SRM-1 non MKII is normal bias only. Don't buy that one. It's incompatible with modern 580V probias without heavy mods and a socket swap.

313 is the best in the list, but you should be able to get a 252 for much cheaper than either of the others and with a decent $10 regulated wall wart with polarity flipped will sound better than them.

>midori
mein neger

Enlighten me please, what's wrong with bluetooth? Doesn't it work like that:
source audio file -> [phone] -> chunk of audio file -> [bluetooth receiver /w dac] -> audio signal -> [headphones] ?
I don't see how it could affect sound quality as long as connection speed (between transmitter and receiver) is faster than audio file's bitrate.

don't worry about it, they are full of shit. they are confusing the amp section with the bluetooth/wireless dac section

reddit.com/user/canucklehead83/comments/

These are the kind of people on /r/headphones?

Well the only 252S I found is around 250€ and the 313 I'm looking at is at 230€, so...

what the fuck

Guessing from his username he's a filthy leaf so retarded behavior isn't unexpected.

Yeah. A 252S should be more like 90€. Grab the 313 or wait and keep hunting around.

Ok, honest question. How do any of you wear cans and glasses at the same time? It's legit painful.

Nice greatest headphones in the universe.

just get an ma900

By not wearing glasses.

Oh. Well back to hunting. I'm gonna get that sweet budget STAX setup.

First of all, bluetooth adds a noise floor. The vast majority of cheaper devices I've heard (including stuff like the senn HD 4.40) have a tiny, low volume hiss that you can only really fully notice during silent moments in a song or when you stop playing something and it waits for a while before going into sleep mode.
Secondly, all forms of bluetooth are lossy except for APTX-HD which isn't supported on many devices (still haven't seen it myself). If you listen to already lossy content like AAC, mp3, or lossy streaming services, your music is going through two layers of lossy compression. This is like editing a jpg and saving it again.

Thirdly, bluetooth is very weak against WiFi interference. If you download something that saturates your bandwidth on a laptop or smartphone connected with wifi in your home it can make the bluetooth audio act wild.

And there's only a selection of supported bluetooth codecs on some platforms. Android has APTX (not HD aka lossless yet, they will only come this year), while the iPhone only has AAC.

Dealing with all that, plus the fact that (not your case, since you want a receiver and not headphones) in the case of people who buy headphones with it are essentially buying throw-away devices because there's no easy to swap battery, the manufacturers overcharge like crazy the replacements (when they do offer it, they sometimes don't), all in all, bluetooth is a very mixed bag of shit.

>First of all, bluetooth adds a noise floor. The vast majority of cheaper devices I've heard (including stuff like the senn HD 4.40) have a tiny, low volume hiss that you can only really fully notice during silent moments in a song or when you stop playing something and it waits for a while before going into sleep mode.
you are mistaking the amp section with the bluetooth and dac section
>Secondly, all forms of bluetooth are lossy except for APTX-HD which isn't supported on many devices
lossy is fine, doesn't make an audible difference. the recording is what is important
>Thirdly, bluetooth is very weak against WiFi interference
so are desktop dacs/amps

I do. And it's not painful, since my glasses aren't xboxhueg hipster glasses. There's a handful of headphones where I don't get full seal though, because of the glasses, and only one I can think of where the sound is notably different.

>so are desktop dacs/amps
WiFi never made my desktop amp literally stutter the way Bluetooth does. 5ghz WiFi fixes this at the cost of having far weaker wall penetration.

no, put your phone ontop of your dac and browse the web. it's most likely a dac shielding issue not bluetooth specific.

That's flat bass for ya

pouet.net/party.php?which=1655&when=2018

It is a Bluetooth issue because it only happens when WiFi operates on the same band. 5ghz WiFi doesn't interfere with BT but at the cost of losing wall penetration.

>i like niggerbass: the post

Why is Sennheiser so much better than STAX, whose headphones feature flaccid penis bass response, a tinny midrange etch and a seismograph for a treble response?

your meme game is weak, just kill yourself if this is how you are going to behave

because AKG is better

You're worse than a tripfag. Stop avoiding filtering and posting your garbage meme gear.