What does this do?

What does this do?

Dedicated DAC port.
Probably "cleaner" power over normal USB ports.

A meme thing to sell boards to audiophiles.

I mean, it probably does have a extra filter and/or DC/DC converter between it over normal USB ports.
Not that it matters for most. I used to use DIY filters and ground decouplers for USB ports for DACs years ago when this was actually somewhat a problem.

Not an audiophile. Although I am starting to play with SDR stuff, so that might progress to putting audio out to another device (ham radio stuff). What advantage does having this on my machine offer?

Mostly a meme port for audiophiles that is suppose to deliver a cleaner signal than normal USB ports.

Not likely to be noticeably better by using USB gaymin headphones but could be noticable by an audiophile with good hearing who is using an external DAC (through the DAC USB port) with their HiFi headphones plugged into the external DAC.

Only issue with my suggestion is that you need an expensive set up (hardware) to achieve this and even then the sound improvement would be more noticeable from the DAC (which would bypass the onboard sound) than the DAC USB port itself.

Has dedicated power filtering and EMI protection.

What equipment would someone even hook up to this?

A USB DAC.

The advantage is cleaner power.
Normal ports _might_ introduce noise into the power signal. This one claims that this won't happen.

USB DAC, the purpose is to ensure there is no electrical "dirtying" to your sound quality.

>filtering 1+0s
audiophiles are the worst. enjoy your placebo.

I thought the external DAC handled that by itself. Does this "preclean" the signal before the external DAC cleans it even more?

You would think that an external DAC would clean up the power source, but Schiit's Modi 2, a total piece of trash that people claim is good, is greatly affected by USB noise. Huge problems leading to it being a total piece of shit.

so that is the scenario, then? This is jut a pre-cleaner? You still need an external DAC?

I'm not an audiophile but I do find this shit interesting. Just not enough to spend money on.

I guess in this case the use of thie mobo DAC would be, you could attach a cheap USB to audio out adapter to it, instead of a full fledged external DAC. Is that making sense?

>not just using optical S-PDIF if you care about muh interference so much
What the fuck.

>I guess in this case the use of thie mobo DAC would be, you could attach a cheap USB to audio out adapter to it, instead of a full fledged external DAC. Is that making sense?
No, it's a port intended to drive a USB DAC with cleaner power than the USB standard calls for. Specifically to reduce electrical noise. Most good USB DACs use external power because USB power ain't clean.

You're a meme thing to be birth from a pedophiles

Isn't USB digital?

It is through reading replies to threads like these that I realise I will probably be an audiophile one day. I can see that there is quite a bit of attention to detail when it comes to this sort of thing.

I have the same issue with my DAC though it's not a Schiit. I think they do this intentionally, they design the USB DAC without any kind of power filtering so they can sell you a separate device. Schiit sells one and so does the guy that made my DAC.

Unlikely, I had a shit end mobo with one on it. If it was supposed to be niche you'd only see them in high end boards.

Destroy All Cranberries port

why are those ports red

To denote USB 3.1 instead of USB 3.0, though technically USB 3.0 no longer exists and you have USB 3.1 Gen 1 (5gbps) and USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10gbps). Red likely denotes that it is a USB 3.1 Gen 2 port and thus capable of 10gbps.

figured
wonder how they'll continue color coding when everything moves to USB C

Jesus Christ non, you realise this is a DAC we're talking about? Those ones and zeroes re being turned into an analogue signal that is highly susceptible to things like ground loop feedback. Get a fucking education.

T. Someone who gets noise on USB DACs without proper isolation

USB is digital, USB power is not. A DAC running off of USB power can have interference introduced due to interference in the power itself.

USB C is for apple niggers

You'd honestly prefer microUSB, the most fragile soyboy of all USB ports? You've obviously never used USB C because it shits all over mini, micro and lightning. You don't always have to blame Apple, insecure user.

>mfw Sup Forums now would believe this

>literally so good of a standard that even apple decided against going with some expensive proprietary bullshit and just used C instead
>somehow a bad thing

microUSB for micro cocks

What better small USB design or standard do you suggest in its place then user? I've used micro for nearly a decade and I do not miss it at all now that type C is here.

usb c is the best

Sorry user I think I misread your last comment. Microusb a shit

RTFM

No, you filter power. DC electrical current. Not data.

My chink laptop has USB C

Data over USB is electric current.

Eat shit and die

This isn't RS-232 serial. It's not ordinary current, it's high speed/frequency pulses.