Anyone here into Meteorology? If so, what equipment do you have?

Anyone here into Meteorology? If so, what equipment do you have?

Here's mine

Other urls found in this thread:

madscientistlabs.blogspot.com/2011/10/build-your-own-davis-console-datalogger.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Diy >>

how is this DIY?

I have a terrible thermistor based thermometer, that's it.
I'd love a decent whetherstation setup though, I've been looking into it along with lightning maps.

>hurr it's not smartphone wallpaper general so it isn't technology

So what is some cheap equipment for someone to set up a simple setup?

I'd start with NetAtmo. They're low cost, reasonably accurate, and modular so you can buy bits and pieces to build out a station.

When you get tired of that you can do a bunch of stuff yourself using Raspberry PI, or move up to a Davis VantageVue. Or you can skip the sort of middle tier stuff and get the one I have in the OP, a Davis Vantage Pro 2.

Finally, you can invest a shitload of money and get a AWSS/ASOS capable system, which is what you find at most airports.

Checked.
Which pi is it running off of?

I'm not using a Pi, mine is a Vantage Pro 2.

But you can probably do it off a zero. You just need to take readings from an input every so often and write them to a database or send them to a webserver.

Oh, I was just being facetious, but that's really cool. I just looked it up, and I've actually been looking for just this sort of thing.

Because it's actually productive

What sensors are on this thing?
I have a chinkshit temperature/humidity sensor that always seems inaccurate.

That is a really nice hobby.

Not too into meteorology, but I use my kestrel a lot in the field at work.

How do you get data from the Vantage? Does it do wireless, serial, USB? Is it Linux friendly? Can you come up with your own visualizations or is it all built-in?

How many meteors have you caught with that?

Probably just a thermometer, hygrometer, and barometer. I'd be surprised if it has anymore than that

Its actually a bit of a clusterfuck. My layout works, but is a bit expensive.

The device is "old school" digital; it doesn't pair, it just broadcasts on a specific frequency and any receiver can pick it up.

I have two receivers, picrelated, and then a little stick that sits near my server. The stick that sits by the server has a little dongle that goes inside it into a port, then connects to the server via USB Serial.

The USB dongle is a nasty bit of DRM by Davis. Its basically a bit of NAND, a little microprocessor, and a USB device. For a long time you had to buy one of these, and the associated software, to connect your device to a computer.

BUUUT…people have reverse engineered it. You can now throw one together for a few bucks.
madscientistlabs.blogspot.com/2011/10/build-your-own-davis-console-datalogger.html

Finally, its not "officially" supported by linux. But the protocol is a simple serial protocol, you can find documentation of it on the internet, and there is a decent package called WeeWX that provides a web interface, and uploads to a variety of weather providers. Thats what I'm using.

What sensors are in yours?

Barometer, Hygrometer, Anemometer, Pyranometer, Thermometer, Rain meter, Leaf wetness meter, soil moisture sensor, UV Index sensor.

Any thoughts on one of these?

I have a similar one, and the viewing angle on the lcd is shitting looking at it from the bottom, so probably not good to wall mount

Why not make a smart mirror instead?

Decent, but somewhat basic

Because this board is mostly for consumerist whoring and distro flamewars.

Been working at USN met centers/commercial s/w companies (wx satellites) for 19 years. AMA.