/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Old Thread: PSA: filter idab.

If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Recommended freedom models:
>>T60, X60; X200, T400/500
Recommended modern models:
>>X220 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>>T420 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
>>W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0

Why ThinkPad?
>>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>>ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/
>>EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW
>>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.ca/itm/222747423226
tim.id.au/laptops/lenovo/thinkpad 570 570e.pdf
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4GH62K2764&cm_re=thinkpad_x1_carbon-_-9SIA4GH62K2764-_-Product
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for ThinkDog.

Thinklet here looking to get my first authentic experience. Mainly considering an x220. Would this be a decent buy?
ebay.ca/itm/222747423226
I have a bunch of other laptops lying around to upgrade the ram to 8 gigs or so and I have a few SSDs about.

Also, how comfy are the x220s?

Pretty comfy desu. I'd buy a as is one that posts for < half of that though.

Pic not related.

pretty comfy dude if you're consindering a x220 just do it you wont regret it. its a very powerful little thing too and parts for it are cheap

Okay thanks anons i'll probably get one here shortly

£170 good for an IPS X230? Going to be swapping 16GB and an SSD in as soon as I get it, seems in good condition

What are some things that I can do to improve battery life on my x230 running debian? I know about powertop and TLP. Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Gonna drop my thread on here, I need some help guys

Check page 23 of this manual
tim.id.au/laptops/lenovo/thinkpad 570 570e.pdf

Anyone know where I can find a new 11e (non-Chromebook) for less than $400? I heard that Amazon had a sale some time ago that brought it down to $200, but I doubt that'll happen again sometime soon.

Lenovo give me the Raven Ridge thinkpad refresh.

Are the 1080p IPS displays in the T470 (I'll probably get a T480) good?
Any issues with backlight bleed, colors, or uniformity?

If the 1080 IPS touch screen or 140p IPS screens have better QC to help negate issues like backlight bleed and uniformity, I don't mind buying that upgrade, but I'd rather stick with the normal 1080p IPS screens, if they're great quality.

Look what I got for free guys.

>G40
Pretty good user

It's insanely thick and heavy.

That's what she said.

THICCPAD

Awooo!

Is a t41 usable for Web browsing and word processing? Is one worth $50? How about $30?

Think on thinkdog

looking to buy a t60.Only question is 14.1 or 15.4?

if you're doing it for libreboot then 14.1
I don't know anything about either though

Or you could get 15 for that sweet 1400×1050

Is there any word on when Raven Ridge ThinkPads will be released?

I assume Q3. Prepare to be disappointed though. They will be shit tier chinko crap based on the E series.

>>>/reddit/

Think on, thinkdog

SOPA

Does anyone here have opinions on the touchscreen T450? More specifically its cooling performance and reliability.
I was hoping to buy one for under $400 to replace my mom's Yoga 13.

Think on thinkdog

how much does a T580 cost new?

Typical ignorant amerishart.

Some one please shill me reasons why the T420 is better than the Dell Latitude E5420

When will the new T480 be available to buy?

any collectors on here have a thinkpad 230cs, looking to buy one. Or know where I could buy
one.

Dumb questions incoming.

I've come into possession of an x220 and I love it so far. Bought a pen for it from ebay and it has been amazing except for the battery.

1. How can I check on demand power usage? I've seen people online saying that they are getting 7.2w from idle on battery power and I have no fucking clue how to check this. On windows 10 at the moment but looking at moving to ubuntu.

2. How do thinkpad pens work? I've tried googling this but no results. I'm guessing magnets?

3. What recommendations would you have for replacing the battery? I'm of the opinion that the battery is on it's last legs, surviving for around an hour or so before dying at 20% left. Should I just go cheapest chink brand on ebay or buy genuine?

4. Is there a way I can turn off the touchscreen digitiser so it doesn't pick up my hand when writing on it with the pen?

So I've noticed these two tiny stains on my W520 with the 1080p panel. Looks like they're deeper into the display because they shift in relation to the pixels when I tilt the display around, so I'm thinking something got between the backlight layer and the first polarizer or TFT layer. Can I fix this or will I fuck up the display if I take it apart.

How much should i offer for a x220t? 8gb RAM 320 HDD

Is the touchscreen worth it? im not an artist but it will be nice to draw work sketches and use it like tablet

I don't game that much any more so I'm thinking of selling my computer and using some of that money to get a thinkpad. I would be using it for FL studio, GIMP, web browsing and some older games/emulators. What would be a good model for this? FL studio can become cpu intensive when the plugins are stacking up.

Thicc.

I have one of those in my T430. I don't think you can realistically do anything about it short of replacing the panel.

Fuck it, I'm feeling lucky today. My old monitor had a bug stuck inside, I'll practice on that first, then try fixing my thinkpad. I'll post on /tpg/ if I succeed.

Try quad core W series. W520 or W530 with the keyboard mod should be good enough.

hey guys, i bought a X220 with a 65W charger and docking station last month. Should i get a 90W charger? is ther any other benefit beside prevent underclocking?

Think on thinkdog

or you fucking nigger monkey

It only prevents underclocking if you run it without the battery

Give it back, Jamal.

Thanks Mr.

how do you guys clean your trackpad?
Mine often starts making cursor go to one side.

So what things can you do on an old Thinkpad with a Core 2 and 2GB RAM. I have to code in IDEs like Visual and Android Studio which are pretty resource-hungry.

yo /tpg/ should I pull the trigger on this bad boy?

Why not wait for the sixth gen?

because I need a laptop NOW

Looks decent, except for the storage option.

Not op but is the storage soldered on these ?

No, they're not.

There's a t41 in seemingly pristine quality an elderly guy is selling on locally, said he bought it new and didn't end up using it much. What would a mint t41 be worth?

What is the best Thinkpad with a 17inch screen? Something older please. I know the P70 has one.

Thinkcat

W700/701 and their dual screen variants (-ds)

I bought the ThinkPad 25(anniversary one) because I was growing tired of my X140e.

Sadly it's only dual core, but, would hyperthreading help on the front of virtualizing? I run VMs alot for pentesting. So would it help or hinder performance?

Pls help

Think on thinkdog

disable it

I picked up a T430s pretty recently and want to upgrade the screen. I've gone through the think wiki and such but few if any reference the s model. Has any one done a swap on a T430s? if so what parts did you use and how.

Thinkanons,
I have an x220 and it's getting pretty hot when I use it. It's not even under full load, bottom corner where fan is placed gets unbearably hot. Is it caused by damaged/improperly working fan? i've changed the thermal paste, so i guess that's not an issue. Is it also probably caused by the fact I am using macOS on it? Any feedback would be much appreciated

I've got a Dell XPS 15 circa 2012. Pic related is the screen - colors are completely fucked.

I want the cheapest Thinkpad mainly for writing and watching anime in 1080p if possible.

I was always weary of buying used laptops but I also don't necessarily want to burn 1300+eurobux on a brand new Thinkpad... although I'm tempted to

Wat do /tpg/?

Would the P40 Yoga be a good replacement for my x220t?

Could also be the wifi card, the ones it came with heat up like the dickens

yo fuckers answer me

T60

I traded Nexus 7 for X41t and when I got home its not powering up or reacting that it's plugged in
I found two black cut cables poking out from the battery tray next to the charging port
Did the fucker cut the power jack cords so I won't be able to use it?

not with that attitude bud :^)

THINK ON THINKDOG

So I'm looking for something under 100, under 50 would be great though I'm sure that's a pipe dream.

I just need it to be able to run R, SAS, C# and office.

Think on, thinkdog

Think on Thinkdog

Wifi card isn't in that corner desu...
>install lm-sensors or on windows hw-monitor.
>Check idle temp mine is 49c with chrome open.

if it is alot higher you might have a problem....

if that is fine run a stress test and repeat. It should be under 90c.

YES my x220 is amazing, and i installed mac high sierra on it and it works perfect

I got a mint t43 for $5. It was worth it, but I wouldn't pay more then $20 for one.

Couldn't you replace the screen on the dell XPS?

T60 or x201 for college, both around 100

X201 for portability and that 1st gen i5 performance

It's on the edge of obsolesce though

Hey /tpg/ I'm looking to retire my t420 soon, 2 of the USB ports are shot and I'd like something less bulky to carry around.

What would you all recommend for a portable laptop? I've looked at the X220s but after buying and doing the upgrades i'd want i'd be spending close to $600 on an old thinkpad which is pretty high imo. Is that my best option or are the X1 Carbons any good?

If you get a X1C, find one (except 2nd gen) with 8gb of ram at least.
Or just get a maxed out X230, or an Elitebook 2570p

Probably going to look around but i'm thinking about this
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4GH62K2764&cm_re=thinkpad_x1_carbon-_-9SIA4GH62K2764-_-Product

probably going to look for a less damaged model

>X220s
I can't find any info on that. Is there really a s model?
You can get a normal x220 for under $150 and add a $80 ssd and $90 fresh battery.

T480 UK release when? I need to order a new computer ASAP :(

Do any X220T/230T owners know if you can buy replacements for these little plastic tabs that keep the screen from rotating when closed?

Does your name start with A?

think on thinkdog

Yes

X220 s just meant plural

X220s are generally around $220 on ebay and newegg in good shape atm. Id want to upgrade the ram, the battery, and have at least a 256 gb SSD

>X1C 2nd gen
>Shit trackpad
>Questionable 5-row keyboard with capacitive f-keys
>Haslel
Get 3rd gen at least.

You could get a stripped down X230 and just move all the stuff from your T420 to it. Units missing parts usually go at very low prices.

Compatible parts:
>memory
>HDD/SSD
>charger
>keyboard with some modding required