Why do some people pretend jazz is more than pop(ular) music?

Why do some people pretend jazz is more than pop(ular) music?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Xd7Fhaji8ow
youtube.com/watch?v=zFA0FYQo0Gg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because it is? Jazz has always been five steps ahead of all other popular music. Jazz started innovating and experimenting decades before The Beatles even recorded an album. Nothing popular music has done wasn't done first in jazz.

Rock and Roll/pop whatever all fits under the umbrella of jazz if you zoom out

Jazz did vaporwave? no? so shut the fuck up

and...?

I once masturbated into a jazz musicians trumpet before a performance in front of the whole school so when he played he got jizz all over his face

AMA

thats not how that works so you lie

>vaporwave

I never said it worked well

thats how its spelled. americans started it not that icelandic cunt our nah .

The bait is fresh this morning.

Thanks senpai!

How is this bait?

Jazz is shit

I was answering OP's question.

None of that means jazz isn't pop(ular) music.

Except is does. Jazz is art music.

what do you even mean by pop(ular)?

Except none of what you posted makes jazz art music.

nice

Not traditional folk or art music.

what makes something art music then?

>inb4 muh written tradition

that's not the end all be all

obviously not ALL jazz is art music, but the best of it is.

what would you classify as art music

Classical, early academic electronic music.

Art music is really anything with an understood tradition and academic pursuit.
Not Rock/Pop/Hip Hop.

Jazz is just often more complex and nuanced. I'm not one to say that it's superior, but to a musician who's learning theory, it's definitely more interesting. I still listen to top 40 pop at work all the time and that stuff bores me but there still are some interesting musical ideas and timbres, but way less.

There does seem to be a lot of pop that lies between top 40 and experimental, some of which I really enjoy. I think pop-sensible musical ideas pervade a lot of jazz too. But in general, jazz seems much more nuanced. That being said, listening to either side all the time gets tiring.

I think balance is key. Why can't you enjoy dream pop along with post bop, grindcore and classical?

quadruple quads, excellent quality digits my friend

classical is basically pop as well

It's actually spelled vapourwave.

Because jazz is divided between the popular stuff, which is generally vocal jazz and jazz you can dance to, and serious jazz like bebop, free jazz, modal jazz etc.

youtube.com/watch?v=Xd7Fhaji8ow

why do people pretend the notion "popular music" exists?

That's why jazz fusion exists.

Because it's archived in it's three aspects from
A) generation to generation/live performance
B) through charts and sheets and
C) through recordings
So in this way it embodies all three main branches of music whilst pulling technique equally from each brach not to
mention it's own vital element of improv.

It's made by niggers so people pretend it's art.

Classical is art music.

>le all music is of equal worth maymay

Top 40 is not the pinacle of Pop and it never has been. It's been nothing but bubblegum since the beginning.

Most people do, only redditors try and one up one another on taste.

Damn, you seem angry.

>art music
As a music scholar I reject this title. I retain that this brach ought to be called Classical instead. All 3 branches has a craft and art to it's appeal and that's no bullshit.

I hate insecure whitey.

Honestly the whole pop, traditional folk, art music distinction is pretty stupid and leads to cancerous discussion.

I'm not, I'm simply stating facts.

>music scholar
Listening to post-punk and noise (both pop music) doesn't make you a music scholar.

>AYO SO U BE SAYIN MUH NIGGERS TALKING OVER DRUM MACHINES ISN'T MUSIC FUCKIN RAYCIS WHITEY

>its dat "smug anime noise & post punk" OP boi
Oh shit waddup!

I don't watch children's shows because I'm not a manchild.

Sure you don't, anime poster

Project harder, manchild.

>It's made by niggers so people pretend it's art.

jazz was art long before the critics that emerged today were taking affirmative action with hip-hop and shit like that

I'm not projecting, i'm literally right. If anything, you're projecting with the man child bullshit.

Niggers are not capable of producing art. Their "music" is only produced to serve as a soundtrack to fornication and drug abuse.

But how did it get on his face? Have you ever seen a trumpet nigga? I can't imagine any way he could possibly have gotten it on his face outside of pointing it upwards and blowing as hard as he could. Which...I mean... if that's how the guy plays trumpet he probably deserved it.
You'd have needed to cum buckets too.

This guy is still around?

Go noodle on your keyboard.

It is. And you can't prove otherwise, which makes you Theoryfaggots incredibly asshurt.

explain how this is a soundtrack to fornication and drug abuse
youtube.com/watch?v=zFA0FYQo0Gg

>It is.
>carefully composed symphonies made by people who had been writing music for decades is just as good as "HOL UP WHERE DA WHITE WOMEN AT"
Leftists actually believe this.

>Theoryfaggots
>LMAO DUDE WHO CARES ABOUT THAT BORING THEORY SHIT HAHA JUST USE UR FEELINGS *plays dank 3 chord solo*

It's pop music. The primary purpose of pop music is financial gain and promoting degeneracy.

Why are people still biting on this blatantly obvious bait?

>EVERYTHING I DISAGREE WITH IS LE FISH MAYMAY

literally kill yourself you racist piece of shit

>I HOPE U DIE U RAYCIS (BTW IM REALLY TOLERANT GUISE)
Another quality leftist argument.

>people still using the art/pop/folk trichotomy
Lmao

Not everything I disagree with is bait but your blatant ignorance and stubborness towards any points made is a clear sign you're baiting

>carefully composed symphonies made by people who had been writing music for decades is just as good as "HOL UP WHERE DA WHITE WOMEN AT"

Yep. Because "where the white women at" is just as valid of an artistic statement as Bach wanking off in pursuit of the "sublime."

Can you prove otherwise? "Degeneracy" has been a topic for artists long before Bach ever powdered his wig.

Are you such an unimaginative prescriptivist that you sheepishly only fetishisize music that is taught in your Music Theory 101 class and approved by your dusty professor?

I'm not tolerant of racist assholes and I'm not a leftist. Not being a racist doesn't make you a leftist you fucking retard.

Sup Forums and SJWs are two sides of the same coin.

>A) generation to generation/live performance
>B) through charts and sheets and
>C) through recordings

That applies to all music.

He's been doing this shtick for like 4 years now.

He's a failed keyboardist who is simply angry that the plebian filled world can't appreciate the craftsmanship of his derivative, Music Theory 101 approved "compositions."

All music is pop music

Jazz just has higher skillcap. Only people with musical background can enjoy it, and even then they just like the techniques and the complicacy of it.

People without musical background who say that they like Jazz are basically tasteless people who are trying to appear unique.

Say what you will, but jazz is just demonstration of skill. It still sounds like shit.

>The primary purpose of pop music is financial gain and promoting degeneracy.

You can also say the purpose of European "classical" music prior to the Romanticism was to promote religious conformity through ceremony.

Also, your favorite Romantic composers would probably vomit if they read your opinions.

I hope this is bait

it was pop in the 20s-some of the 40s. After that It was more for a less mainstream audience

>ignorance
The only ignorance showcased in this thread is leftist retards calling everything they dislike "racist" and considering everything they don't understand wrong.

>Because "where the white women at" is just as valid of an artistic statement as Bach wanking off in pursuit of the "sublime."
It isn't, Bach's music was made as a form of worship of God, some nigger talking about his hedonistic behavior is just a promotion of degeneracy.

>Can you prove otherwise? "Degeneracy" has been a topic for artists long before Bach ever powdered his wig.
Degenerate "art" is not art.

>Are you such an unimaginative prescriptivist that you sheepishly only fetishisize music that is taught in your Music Theory 101 class and approved by your dusty professor?

>LOL STUPID OLD MEN HAHA WHO CARES ABOUT EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE

>LE Sup Forums MAYMAY
End your life, degenerate leftist.

>failed keyboardist
Except I'm one of the most respected keyboardists in my country. Stop projecting.

>who is simply angry that the plebian filled world can't appreciate the craftsmanship of his derivative, Music Theory 101 approved "compositions."
I couldn't care less about some nigger's/leftist's opinion on music. They're subhumans/traitors and their views are worthless because they have no musical experience.

Art music and folk music are not pop music.

Art music is primarily a form of worship of god (at least art music made by good composers, not modernist trash made by Atheists). The composers needed money for a living, but it wasn't the reason they composed music.

>Also, your favorite Romantic composers would probably vomit if they read your opinions.
Wagner was an opponent of degenerate art, so I doubt that.

This is the worst thread of all time

>Art music and folk music are not pop music.
yes it is

"Pop music" does not describe music that is listened to by many people, retard. It's music as a commodity.

dude you sure expend a lot of effort on being angry and wrong on the internet.

Folk, not contemporary white man + acoostic is not popular music.

I'm neither angry nor wrong.

yes it does

just saying it doesn't make it true

No, they would.

>Composers of the Romantic Era, like Elgar, showed the world that there should be "no segregation of musical tastes"

As for pre-Modernist composers not promoting degeneracy:

>Symphonie fantastique (1830) which uses purely instrumental music (there are no lyrics or vocals) to depicts story about a young artist who is tormented by his love for a woman, so much so that he takes opium

Pretty much all the 7 deadly sins right there.

And Tristan and Isolde had melodrama that would make the director of one of those Lifetime movies cringe.

The Art of Noise manifesto pretty much made your prescriptivist way of thinking about music obsolete.

No go noodle.

Maybe you should post good artists if you want to prove me wrong.

>And Tristan and Isolde had melodrama that would make the director of one of those Lifetime movies cringe.

>comparing a traditional tale to some garbage movie made for monetary gain
Leftists, everyone.

>The Art of Noise manifesto pretty much made your prescriptivist way of thinking about music obsolete.
The point of said manifesto is that music should become a part of an industrial society (read: a commodity).

Incorrect, jazz is a great style if music that several blacks were a part of. Sure there are a lot of niggers but not every black person is.

>Except I'm one of the most respected keyboardists in my country. Stop projecting.
And you waste your time complaining on the internet... Aren't you supposed to be on a tour? retard

God isn't real

>Incorrect, jazz is a great style if music that several blacks were a part of.
It isn't, it's a commodity.

>Sure there are a lot of niggers but not every black person is.
>le not every black person is a nigger maymay

Only NEET manchildren spend their whole day with music.

>CRAWLING IN MY SKIN

It is an objective fact that not every black is a nigger, even if 50 percent are, some still aren't. You are the only one throwing out memes calling everyone who disagrees with you a leftist

for someone who keeps bashing leftists, this guy sure is a faggot.

I'm not even being edgy, there just isn't any reason to believe he is, that said i appreciate christian art, it's among some of the best in the world

The point of the manifesto was a call for future musicians to break with tradition (both compositionally and instrument-wise) and explore the seemingly limitless new variety of sounds that industrial/city life and its technology were creating.

There was no grand aesthetic vision here (like spiritual edification) beyond the intrinsic aesthetics of the sounds themselves.

I also can't prove you wrong since we're talking about something subjective here. You like your dusty professor approved powdered wig music above all. Cool. I like all types of music.

We can prove that all music is of equal worth though, since value judgments are a subjective phenomenon and not a scientific fact that can be measured.

Burns your noodling ass up, doesn't it?

I'm fucking right wing too so i have no clue what he's on about

>leftists using the word "fact"
That's odd, you guys usually consider facts "hate speech"

>le the whole world was made by nothing maymay

>The point of the manifesto was a call for future musicians to break with tradition (both compositionally and instrument-wise) and explore the seemingly limitless new variety of sounds that industrial/city life and its technology were creating.
Exactly, it was made to encourage musicians to disregard all traditions and stop making music in worship of God, instead they should start making materialistic music.

>le music is subjective maymay

Stop posting, reading this kind of retardation makes me want to throw up.

You probably belong to the "alt-right" movement (read: manchildren who spend their whole day masturbating to hentai and blaming other people for their lack of success). You're even worse than a leftist because you make right-wingers look like a joke.

I'm not a leftist, you just keep calling me one, that doesn't make me one. And no the world wasn't made from nothing, that's not what any leading theory says.

haha your opinions are so terrible dude why even bother living

What have i said that made you think i'm alt-right?

>Folk, not contemporary white man + acoostic is not popular music.

Do you know why it's called "folk?"

Because it was literally the music of the common people and peasants.

And as for "degeneracy," I'd wager to guess that about 75% of European folk songs are about drinking and fucking.

At least, it may not be direct but folk music was not the music of musicians, that said i really enjoy it.

Why do you keep rallying on commodity?

I thought right wingers are in favor of industry?

You sound like a whiny liberal arts student with all this...

>muh true art isn't product for consumption.

It's a strange dichotomy he has going on isn't it?

So do I. But it's funny to call out his lack of musicology.

Folk was the top 40 of its, and the troubadours and poets who orally shared the songs were basically radio stations.

More things change, they stay the same.