Is there a career to be made in reverse engineering?

Is there a career to be made in reverse engineering?

Malware analysis maybe?

Yea

Intriguing. Can you explain further?

No.
Reverse engineering is not a skill you can put on a resume and nobody needs someone who can read assembly code.
Learn Python and Javascript and get a real job.

> t. spent the late 90's and early 2000's doing RE for warez and cybersec.

Lol i don't know go figure

You can get a government job with the NSA or FBI. Aside from that, not really. What use does a company have to reverse engineer a program? They can't resell it or use its components

Fuck, where are the jobs in tech nowadays? Sysadmin seems to be a dead end. Not sure if I want to be a code monkey, everyone makes that sound horrible and fucked thanks to bootcamps and pajeets.

Well you could RE malware and if the creator did a bad job you could exploit the servers that run it and take the profits that he made.

Oh you mean fun jobs? Gotta build your own product to have one of those.

Otherwise enjoy being a Java/JS/C++ monkey building CRUDs/ business bloatware that will be thrown out in three years.

Being a code monkey is okay as long as you can do stuff that unskilled workers won't be able to do.

(real) data science, advanced machine learning/AI, blockchain dev, nlp are all good. But you'll fare better with a PhD or an applied math/statistics degree.

stay away from front-end unless you're going all conceptual with computer-human interaction bullshit.

And forget about RE, there are no commercial applications and most of the interesting tech nowadays is open source anyways.

>blockchain dev
this sounds awesome, but idk if there are even jobs for it

Are there any good resources for actual blockchain development or courses?

Yeah big money in it.

Reverse games and sell game hacks to kids. Its very profitable

Ask a more specific question, get a more specific answer, user.

Also, try using your favourite search engine user, how that never came across you mind in the first place is probably why you will never have a career. in anything.

If you want to work on some cryptocurrency project, you should expect to have your salary (or at least a significant part of it) paid in crypto. Ethereum fundation has jobs postings.

Otherwise, you could try and find work with auditing firms or banks which are trying to develop in-house solutions.

Don't know about online resources but most good universities with a CS program have some kind of blockchain class now.

It's specific enough for everyone (((except you))) to understand what is being asked.

4 srs?

No really, I'm not a huge gamer. Is there seriously good money in this?

>using Sup Forums shit
Now you won't get your answer you autistic kid

Why do you think those people at DEFCON, Black Hat, and C3 do for a living?

Secretly selling zero days to NSA? Keep a few to show off at Defcon to publicly maintain their white hat status?

Um yeah, in government/defense or for a security company

Probably in order of preference: large defense contractor, small security company, large security company (especially avoid anything that sells security appliances)

it's a good long-term bet. there will always be buggy and insecure software. RE is fun as shit too.

Don't bother with cryptocurrency right now, too volatile and too popular. you won't get the perks and benefits a security job would provide (think time off, vacation, good insurance, decent pay, 401k) and "investing" is dangerous right now

why are (((you))) so an unhappy camper?

oh hey haha I go on Sup Forums too I know that (((meme)))

We routinely hire people with RE skills at lockheed, granted you have some EE knowledge.

Sup Forums =/= Sup Forums
Stop being an edgy shithead

Come to the /cyb/ general when it appears next. that is a common topic. There is also a FAQ.

I got a job offer by solving crackme puzzles a company put on their website. I don't have a CS degree.

>Malware analysis maybe?
>being a moralfag
top cuck

>blockchain dev
>that's actually a term nows

>be 1950
>no mobile developers

>be 2010+
>mobile developers exists because there are phones
>that's actually a term now

woah

What level of EE knowledge?

Full

Full stack developer?

yes, but you need to know other stuff like PT,research,forensics and such as well.

Full stack EE web developer

so you have no clue. ok.

It depends on your other skills, but at the very least an undergraduate-level of understanding. You don't need a degree though, just know the theory and how to use it.

ok, thanks. i don't have the skillset. i was just curious.

Yeah, esp for FPS games that have anticheat drivers. all of my RE friends make $50k+ a month from selling private sub cheats.

how does one get into this?

By learning to RE games.

well played sir

all shit threads default to memri threads

what forums and the like are out there?

Are the cheats sold there, on the danknets, or what?

You gotta be 18+ to hack games, user.

I'm not a serious gamer in any sense of the term, but if there is that amount of money to be made in breaking them, I'll throw whatever I need to at em.

Is it even possible to break into this career path if you’re ineligible for security clearance?