Who else here sucks less?

Who else here sucks less?

Other urls found in this thread:

lists.suckless.org/dev/1401/19889.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Suckless is meant to be a satire.

Then why does Suckless use so much time building high quality software following a consistent philosphy if it's just for keks.

>building high quality software
Such as?

dmenu is great. DWM is also pretty good too.

>st
>dwm
>dmenu

>dmenu
That's it? Pretty underwhelming, isn't it? It's only a command launcher with a fuzzing autocomplete/suggestion. GNOME/KDE/Xfce/Cinnamon/MATE offers the same features, even bash/zsh/fish does.
>DWM
Why is it better than Mutter?

Why is st better than GNOME-terminal again?

>GNOME/KDE/Xfce/Cinnamon/MATE
>Mutter

Wow are you taking the piss or what? The Suckless tools are intended to be hyperminimalist with no unnecessary dependancies. They are meant to be modified at the source by the user to fit their intent and workflow.

None of the suckless tools are intended to be compared against the above, they have completely different intentions in mind. You can mix and match any of the suckless tools with any window manager.

Minimalism doesn't ensure/warrant high quality though. People like functionality. People like performance. IMO high quality software are those that finds the optimal common ground.

>implying GNOME has found this middle ground

gnome is bloat without functionality

GNOME is ironically closer to that middle ground than suckless tools that sacrificed functionality for the sake of "minimalism".

I love dwm, use it for all my computers. Everything else they make is kind of useless.

I've never used st so I couldn't tell you. If it has low latency I'd consider it though. Gnome terminal is alright on the latency front mind you.

Except suckless tools don’t sacrifice functionality, st can do everything you need it to and is much lighter than a comparable terminal emulator (urxvt)

you're right mate, in real life everyone behind suckless really enjoys using GNOME, C#, and Windows 10. you've nailed it.

>Everything else they make is kind of useless.
*suckless

All that is going to depend on the audience you're aiming at. The standard is different depending on what their usecase is. For many people with many tasks, the minimalist tech is going to be a boon, for others it won't fit their need.

The suckless tools are kinda unix philosphy. Some people like that. Some people want justwrks. That's fine too.

I don't like C#. It's a mediocre language. Windows 10 is a spyware, and so is .NET SDK.
GNOME-terminal can do anything st can, and it has lots of more functionalities plus it runs on Wayland too.

Yea but you're just some dumb cunt who clearly has dumb faggot taste. Why the fuck are you even on Sup Forums? You clearly do not belong here. Get the fuck out

suckless are hacks, because linux sucks.
cat -v org > succless

Windows can do everything Linux can do as well. Functionality isn't the only piece of the puzzle.

>Windows can do everything Linux can do as well.
Except that it's a spyware. I don't like my OS spying on me.

What can gnome terminal do that st cannot?

Neither do I. Thats why I dont use bloated software. Enjoy your unnecessarily large attack surfaces and larger number of bugs

Yeah, my point is that you can't just compare functionality and choose the one that does the most. There's plenty involved in choosing a piece of software.

I can't give any good examples for st vs gnome terminal, since I haven't used st, but I'd imagine for it's users there's something that makes it better for their usecase. Maybe it's performance or maybe it's fewer dependencies, I've got no clue.

Windows can't disable spyware updates.

What happened to the Suckless Linux distro? Seems like it dropped off the face of the earth.

Way to miss the point but whatever.

Scrollbacks, tabs, notifications support, dropdown support, configuration without recompiling etc

If your software has to reduce code size to reduce attack surface, it's not well written.

If your software has a large attack surface it's not well designed.

>scroll
There is a patch available that takes no effort to install
>recompile
2 commands that take 5 seconds because st is not a bloated piece of shit
>tabs
Useless
>drop down
False, this is an extension you have to install yourself similar to scrollback in st

This doesn't invalidate my claim

>2 commands that take 5 seconds because st is not a bloated piece of shit
Seems like a poor excuse to me. Do you recompile your terminal every time you want to change configuration? If so, not sure why I should take suckless any seriously.

Do you open a second window and click through a bunch of menus to configure yours? I don’t see why
make
make install
Is any less convenient

if your terminal emulator is a fucking megabyte it is bloated

for fuck sake gnome-terminal is like 3x the size of terminator, the most bloated terminal I personally see any benefit of using over lighter terminals like lxterminal, which is only 100kb

>make
>make install
You forgot the part where I find hardcoded configuration and edit them in ways that it doesn't fail compilation.

Meanwhile, everyone else is opening a window and clicking a checkbox. Stop pretending to be an idiot and admit that hardcoding configs is a joke of an idea.

I remember when they were discussing the best way to make a "suckless" mail client. I mean... why not just write a curses (they love that shit) frontend for upas from p9p? It's more Unix-philosophy, it works, the hard part is already done for you... No-one even brought it up as a possibility. Kind of like their text editor sandy, which should be an ncurses samterm, but isn't.

Good luck moving your confute when you get a new computer

*configs

>curses
i mean, it wont really work with plan9port

They don't really like curses.
For example see here: lists.suckless.org/dev/1401/19889.html

That's what dotfiles are for though. I keep all mine in a git repo.

>suckless
>software actually sucks more
:thinking:

>13KB for 1 colour and 1 bit transparency
I made your logo suck less for you

I don't use suckless software but I do use software that sucks less than those that do.

Suckless settled on impossible goal to build sane software on insane roots - unix terminal, X11 and failed projects like web, irc or statically linking current software.

>web, irc failed projects
You can say they're shit but they're far from failed.

I means surf and ii/sic as suckless projects based around web and irc, not web and irc as technologies

Oh, ok. Surf is pointless as it uses WebKit. ii is great and truly adheres to the Unix philosophy. How sic differs?

was thete even one maintained
i would be really interested in one

the idea behind ii is nice but implementation sucks - no tls by default and the patches for it are weird, logouts of random people trigger privmsg which bloats your directories quickly, (re)connections have to be solved externally, don't remember how authentication methods are solved, but again most comes from insane IRC protocol standard
sic is very simple - single connection (maybe single room? not sure), parses irc inputs from network to stdout, takes stdin and translates to irc commands. technically this could be used as component between the fifo+log file and network for ii
and overall I don't get the aversion for config files, simple yacc parsers with consistent grammar like openbsd does is very effective

/thread

He may be autistic in not a good way, but you are just an eye cripple.

you lose too much time trying to adhere to the philosophy so much, but I generally agree that everything is way too bloated and requires too many dependencies.