The Official Sup Forums Linux Desktop Environment POLL

We will decide this once and for all.

Tiling Window Manager fag NEET autists stay the fuck out.

strawpoll.me/15005441
strawpoll.me/15005441
strawpoll.me/15005441

Other urls found in this thread:

trinitydesktop.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

AwesomeWM is tiling and dynamic, lightweight as fuck, beautiful, and includes everything a GUI needs.

Give me 1 example of something a DE can do that actually helps? Keyboard language options? I really can't think of anything useful.

>compositing

idiot
stop linking this 3 times

/thread

An application menu that fills itself when you install a new program
Setting your speakers volume and screen backlight with the keys they were supposed to be used for
Shutdown and reboot buttons that actually work
Applications actually show the way they should, instead of a fucked up fallback way (qt5 apps, for instance, don't even have icons)

>handled in file manager
>volume-icon, and handled in most WM
>WM again
>what the fuck are you getting on about? Just set your qt theme to copy your gtk one.

Gross

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>not using window managers

>GNOME 3
not a DESKTOP environment, why include it?

no

stop

>tiling and dynamic
It's the only strongest point of it. Other WMs are lighter and sometimes better, providing extra functionality OOTB. that said, it's still fucking great compared to most DEs

Not a real poll.

A DE doesn't provide only a GUI. A DE Is a suite of applications designed to work together with a similar workflow and visual style. The only apps that tiling managers work well with visually and functionally are terminal emulators running vim.

GNOME is the official Linux desktop. The only one that matters.

>GNOME is the official Linux desktop

said nobody ever

I like cinnamon, but it's too unstable.

lol no Unity. I guess KDE is your favorite then?

You were saying?

no wonder why gnome us fucking dying not even make it on the Sup Forums poll

awesome is bloat
it ran wosre than a full de the last time i tried it.
shit like fluxbox, jwm, and icewm leaves it in the dust.

i3, dwm, hebrstluftwm etc are all superior it you want your triling autism thate leaves all your fucking windows small and illegible

>kde plasma at top

this board is a fucking meme lmao

>unstable
???
this has never happened for me, even in its early days.
i actuall ydnot like cinnamon for all the shitty desktop effects and eyecandy and shit i dont use, but admittedly is a far smoother experience than using xfce and mate, while being very memory efficient (less than 170mb on my shittop) which compares favorably to lxqt

op why do you hate i3 or bspwm

pls respond

Because nobody cares about tiling WM except nerds and losers

ever heard of i686 bitch? ever heard of 2048GiB of DDR2 ram bitch? ever heard of the 945GSE chipset bitch? what the fuck is 1080p bitch? i like my freedom and lack of bloat bitch? i bet you still use manjaro bitch?

Cinnamon is KDE for people that can't quite stop sucking the GNOME cock.

GNU/Linux*. Linux is just the kernel.

Cinnamon ofc

OP is mad because he cant into WM's

>GNOME 3 over anything
Truly, this is the worst timeline.

Faggot you use that cuz you can't install tiling wm ?

It's time to admit xfce is the official Sup Forums DE.

but its not

How well does KDE work on Gentoo?

Yea, we could call it TheOS, if some jerk doesn't have to give project name by name in class, so we need to blame schooling system for this.

KDE > XFCE > MATE > Deepin > LXDE > Trash >>>>>> GNOME > Pantheon >>> Budgie >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cinnamon

KDE is shit no matter where you install it.

Nicely, but Arch/Neon are better options

Where do Budgie 11 and LXQt rank?

Budgie 11 = Budgie
LXQt = LXDE

>Budgie 11 written in Qt below trash and Gnome
shit taste.

what's your opinion on TDE?

T is for trash.

>TDE
trinitydesktop.org/

Holy fucking shit, TIL I can still use good old KDE3 in 2018!

Hopefully not. I come from Arch and Plasma was buggy as fuck.

Integrated search feature with additional features like a calculator, unit conversions.
Easy and quick configuration of special features like a compose key, additional keyboard layouts, keyboard shortcuts.
Integration with mpris2-compatible media players, pulseaudio, networkmanager.
E.g. if I want to switch to speakers I can in 3 clicks, same with connecting to openvpn, switching network profiles.
Consistent behavior and look across everything.

It's not perfect, but it's pretty convenient in a lot of cases.
I don't really feel the need to or have the time to configure every little detail in some huge config files for my GUI to function well.
I'll rather do that for a server.

>TIL
you need to go back

>b-but muh standard linux desktop

see

This. GNU is not UNIX, but can be paired *with* a UNIX - see illumos

>Latest News
>2016.11.07: Trinity Desktop Environment R14.0.4 Released

>latest
>2016
oh boy

xmonad

if it just werks it doesn't need constant "updates"

pretty much any window manager will be better for power users. I use stumpWM because of my preference for common lisp. but any window manager will do. find one that has a language you can use to customize it. you will be much more empowered

Add Lumina to your poll, fagtron. Then we talk.