Why do people say PHP is bad?

Why do people say PHP is bad?
Seems to me it's a language perfectly adequate for what it is trying to do (quick & dirty dynamic pages for small-to-medium websites).

Other urls found in this thread:

gitgud.io/chiru.no/chiru.no/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The problem is that people tries harder and harder to use it for anything, even task it isn't suited for. Like JS, just a little better but still like shit

because perl 5 exists

Is there a perl5 web dev framework?

Because it's taken ages to get 7 out of the door and because WordPress is such a shit show despite being immensely successful

Because people write bad code, and for some reason like guns, people blame the implement rather than the person using it.

PHP is just as bad as any dynamic typed language. You gain nothing choosing JS, Python or Ruby over it.

Php7 has optional strict typing. This soon becomes optional dynamic typing once you get the hang of it. It's great

Are you for real

no type system is as bad as javascript's

LOL
php has the perfect and ideal implementation into web.

check cpan

A.) There is no such thing as an infallible coder.
B.) It's good thing you brought up the guns comparison. Because just like guns are objects purposefully designed to kill people, PHP seems to be purposefully designed to make bad (& vulnerable) code. In both cases, I'd be more than glad to point this fact out whenever the next mass shooting and/or register_globals happens.

, C.) Actually, come to think of it, how the fuck does this argument hold any water to begin with? The "git gud" platitude is usually wheeled out when you want to defend C++, because apparently fiddly manual memory management, cryptic compiler errors and an ass-backward linking system are all somehow "advantageous" if you're a "good coder". (Incidently, this is a very similar mentality used by people who insist on driving with manual transmission.) But how in the everliving fuck would that make ANY SENSE when talking about a language explicitly designed for "non-coders"?

c++ is for cucks dont listen to them

C++ at least gives you performance for all the unnecessary bullshit it throws at you.

PHP offers nothing.

I think the issue is not with PHP. But with some of the Devs.

WordPress is a shit show but one of the more popular sitebuilders/platforms out there that is easy to front end and configurable-ish so it Gained traction.

I think PHP would be pretty decent if they'd just fix some of the dumb shit like the horrendously inconsistent naming of the standard library functions or the weird ternary operator.

That's kinda my point.
(Except "C++ gives you performance" is a stupid myth. Every compiled language from the past decade has been based on the GCC back-end, and can achieve comparable if not higher performance on the exact same algorithms.)

I wouldn't want to know how they work under the hood, but php has super comfy arrays

Lots. I use Kelp myself, but Mojolicious, Catalyst, and Dancer2 are all very good and well supported

Every language worth a shit has a hashtable built in.

PHP lacking any kind of array that isn't one is kind of horrible desu.

>guns are objects purposefully designed to kill people
Eurotrash commie detected.

Honestly, even though it can be a great language with a framework and non legacy code, the only real reason to use it is job availability, and most PHP jobs won't let you take advantage of those things. You'll be stuck dealing with legacy code and Wordpress for the most part

gitgud.io/chiru.no/chiru.no/

Search php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/

PHP 7.2 is decent if developer learn it

PHP "arrays" (because they are simply NOT arrays, lord knows what the fuck they actually are. "sets" might be the closest possible description) are not "comfy". They are annoying, fiddly and extremely prone to errors, and SILENT errors at that! Worst of all, the way they interact with "objects" is simply inexcusable. I cannot imagine a single possible utilization for silently & automatically casting an object into an "array" or vise versa.

I wish this was a more popular answer. If it wasn't for shared hosting and PHP being far easier to use on it, Perl would be the most popular web dev language out there. It already does everything Node, Python, Ruby and their respective frameworks do just as well, if not better in some cases

SPL collections exist

Reminds me of old imageboard scripts. I'm honestly sort of sad that I never had the chance to write something in that fashion. Even my first large project utilized a templating system and a barebones router at the very least

>gitgud.io/chiru.no/chiru.no/
It's PHP written to execute as fast as possible. Honestly though, if I was going to do that, rather than 2500 lines in a single file I'd probably use includes if I was going to be completely procedural. But for anything reasonably complex, I'm going to use proper OOP and a framework.

I've had three jobs now where I completely revamped a legacy codebase in a year or two and got a huge bonus and moved on. I'm like the fucking Johnny Appleseed of good PHP.

A web app I'm lead developer of has a file that is 6 times as long as their index.php and it doesn't even have any HTML in it. Just pure business logic. I should probably quit and go back to school

Your point B is bad. Guns were designed to kill people, and have succeeded very well at that.

PHP had succeeded very well in being an accessible and fast way to create dynamic websites

What's the equivalent of flask for perl?

I'm guessing Dancer2 or Kelp are your best bets. I haven't used Flask so I'm not sure how barebones it is, but those two frameworks are as barebones as Perl web frameworks get

Explain please. People always used PHP to backend and templating.

>have never touched php
>tons of jobs list php
what's the minimum amount of PHP i need to bullshit my way through?

pajeet pls go

PHP is a templating language that happens to be full featured enough to allow development of large scale web apps, and that's maybe half of the reasons why its historically terrible

all programmers are fucking soy faggots, become a farmer and fuck some cattle you virgin mutts.

Tfw Linux laptop just re
t. JavaScript framework soyboy

>personal home page
Found your problem