How long until ReactOS becomes a viable Windows replacement?

How long until ReactOS becomes a viable Windows replacement?

Other urls found in this thread:

node-os.com/
reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16821
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astra_Linux
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Judging from their past they should have stable Windows 7 support in 15-20 years.

When will it be a viable alternative? Not in our lifetime.

I thought development started picking up steam when Putin started funding them?

Yeah it did. That’s why I only estimate 15-20 years instead of the probable 20-30.

when they have full vista/NT 6 binary compatibility.

40 years when it reaches Windows 7 level of compatibility

they never recieved a sou from the russkies.
its the patreon money thats funding current development.

>open sores
>ever "viable"
lol

Never.

When it gets actually good Microsoft will find a way to shut it down.

give it another 20-30 years

This can't be ReactOS as in React.js? I wouldn't be surprised to see a JavaScript OS, but cmon, it can't be as I think it is?

At least 20-30 years

No, that’s NodeOS
(It’s actually a thing)

canonical is dropping desktop ubuntu. if they couldnt make it then reactos is never going to make it.

Huh. You weren't kidding.

node-os.com/

React depends a lot on the Wine project. It will probably never be more compatible than Wine with Windows software. And Wine can is getting scarly powerful, it can run Vulkan games with near 0 performace lost, the last version run Photoshop CC...

about 10 years after Microsoft abandons Windows

Russian governnent did not give them even little amount of money!

I doubt React OS will go anywhere, unless they get even more devs. The more devs that work together, the more chance it will be released sooner. Haiku is actually getting much closer to being released. They were speculated to release beta on January of this year, but they are like 90% ready with beta. They are like 80ish percent done with R1

Probably not so far away. WINE3 is getting pretty goddamn good and now that DX is being deprecated by Vulcan, and MS is trying to kill of WIN32 and Windows7, I think if enough people invested money in Reactos development you could have a feature complete replacement by 2020.

reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16821

Check this out Community Changelog for the upcoming ReactOS release 0.4.8

>>> Actually a thing. "build"-"failing"
Not a single screenshot on website...

Nobody can do a interface, because you have to use vanilla java script to align properly.

Wayland sucks in same computation, rendering bottom of my scrollbar under the KDE panel...

Like those guys "more we write, more coders we are" without any reasonable insight.

Why not start from scratch? And I don't mean linux.

see
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astra_Linux
win32 babbies perpetually btfo

It will probably enter beta in a few years. But getting stable will need a decade. Though the point of the OS is to replace windows XP/vista and older versions, not w7/10. This might change later. And it probably will since nobody will give a shit about XP compatibility in a few years.
They only recently moved to github and only recently made a crash reporter. So the development should speed up significantly.

ReactOS has been gaining momentum since the SVN has been moved to Github back prior to October.

There's also the new rebasing of WINE to 3.0/3.1 and their increased funding which will allow greater progress to modern program compatibility. (DX11/DX3D11)
Lastly CodeWeavers also provides funding to WINE.

React's USB code is almost finalized and the last 3 releases have had experimental support.
I expect once the official USB image is released it will a major userbase increase for more common use testing which will spur interest.

The issue at the moment is most laptops don't even ship with optical drives and CD/DVD's are as expensive as multi-layer Bluray's.

Soon™

Just let anything windows die.

>Bumping a 4 hr dead thread

You mad brainlet?
Clearly it's personal to you. lol

Can't wait till W7 is EOL on 2020 and you are forced to choose W10/Linux/React/MacOS

It will divide the cuks from the Sup Forumsents

USB installation capabilities should be (and probably are) top priorities.

What the fuck are you talking about?

>getting mad about a new ip bumping an interesting thread

>"interesting thread"
Literally it's Sup Forums and their mom shitting all over React..
He himself didn't apply anything "interesting" to the content either...

The changelog posted here
seem to confirm that.
Two major usb changed which include external storage and also usb device itself (I assume that means booting)
Wonder when it will be released

Why are the devs mostly European? A lot of them seem to be German and Russian

IT IS PUTIN`S HACKER`S PROGECT
ONLY TEMPLE_OS AND HOLY_C THE GOD GIVEN FREEDOM

Will never happen.

Just like 'the year of desktop linux' will never happen.

>top priority
>when it doesn't run on anything newer than a 1.4 GHz athlon
fuck USB support, they need to make it work on anything that isn't virtualbox

>no multicore
>no 64-bit
>still buggy as fuck

probably never

10 years for driver compatibility, 20 years to be stable, and another 40 to become compatible with NT 6.1.

Linux is better, even though since it's mostly on desktops there is little in the way of power management for laptops.

>even though since it's mostly on desktops
Its mostly servers and phones :^)

Die Deutsche ist wunderkind :D

The year of the Linux desktop happened when gtk 1 and Xorg played nice without "free"86.

How about improving FreeDOS instead?

Why is Freedos allowed but not Freedows?

Because it is russian open-source botnet

when I can run Fallout 3, Guild Wars and Morrowind easily with the full experience

Never. Wine on GNU/Linux will get there sooner, and ReactOS will be completely useless.

>new rebasing of WINE to 3.0/3.1 and their increased funding which will allow greater progress to modern program compatibility. (DX11/DX3D11)

They still don't have DX 1.0 right.

reactos predates that javascript thing by a long shot, it's almost as old as javascript itself

> This is not Linux mimicking Windows
Literally on the front page. It just looks like it and includes Wine. It's basically for people who want to switch, but need time to migrate.

>> This is not Linux mimicking Windows
did someone say otherwise?
> just looks like it
it's more than "looks like", the way it works right down to the kernel is designed to match how windows works, it's a clone through and through
> includes Wine
it reuses a lot of wine code, but to say it "includes wine" is misleading

Desktop Linux is mostly on desktops, nigger.

Server Linux is basically the same thing but GUI-less, and Android is their shitty API and JVM (now precompiled Java, etc.) on top on the kernel, no GNU userland.

Because Microsoft doesn't care about DOS. At all. Of course, it's not like they're going to ever release the source for anything past 2.0.

Go ahead, show the code.

>Opensource project without any company ownage
>anyone can inspect code
>HURRDURR RUSSIAN BOTNET
wtf, you just stupid

too long

Never ever

because POSIX is already widely supported and Unix systems are "good enough" as they are. there's a lot of historical quirks that don't make sense in modern computing, but developing something better would take a lot of time to completely transition

>red star
I get the feeling that they miss the SU

I understand the appeal for the uninformed windows user, but the unix way of doing things is better than windows.