#324355645th reminder to use non-harmful software and to remember this legend died for our bloated sins

#324355645th reminder to use non-harmful software and to remember this legend died for our bloated sins.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.freebsd.org/GPLinBase
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

what does he mean by harmful? prone to errors?

complex, bloated

>head: 80 lines (most of it is C biolerplate), simple, does one thing and does it well, everyone can understand the source code
>sed: quite big source (2.5k+) because it can do many things, no one knows from the top of head how it werks
explain

this guys is just a generic retard, whose only claims are:
- killed himself
- wrote some dumb "harmful software" list, that only is being looked because above
- autistic appeal that Sup Forums likes

too complex for his nigger-brain to comprehend

there is so much trash in "less harmful" column
>CSV
escaping hell, either \0 or \xff separated
>9p
try to optimize it for remote connection with latencym then maybe
>Go, Limbo, CSP-style concurrency
trash type systems, compromises performance
>unix shell
sucks as programming language but muh pipes, the whole "everything is strings" causes bugs and ugliness
>coreutils
Plan 9 and some BSDs don't apply even the simplest optimizations that speed the things up by several magnitudes.
>tmux
Unix shell and termcap/info nightmare is burden from seventies. Additionally tmux has terrible keybindings to avoid collisions with Screen.
>mk, make
enjoy it until you don't need proper conditionals
>Acme, Sam
Who the hell designed these things? Controlling it and navigating is so inefficient.
>IRC
only if you can ignore newer standards
>anything roff-based
Come on, even TeX won. There is a reason why limiting description language with ecosystem of bazillion bad compilers that none of the does what you want is a bad model.
>OSS4
pre-sndio years

Actually it was reveled he lost hope because life was just bloated. Everything we know and do is actually wrong. So he died.

ressentimental faggot
im certainly glad hes gone

I've never read so many asinine opinions

I'm open minded to counter-arguments...

>IRC
I would argue that nothing appreciably better has come along to make people switch from something battle tested. The federated meme of jabber looked promising but ended up being to complex. Discord and slack have better first class fancy interfaces but they are not open enough for community buy in?

>Plan 9 and some BSDs don't apply even the simplest optimizations that speed the things up by several magnitudes.
This is only a problem with certain new bsd tools like grep and the regex libraries that haven't been around for 30 years

>implementation is relatively easy because it's opened protocol that is also easy to implement
>wide adoption already
Ok those are good selling points that I also appreciate. My problems with IRC are a bit more specific - dislikement of line-based protocol, wide range of naming rules and restrictions from nineties, lack of proper nameservers in network model and thus hacky authentication extensions and few other weak spots. When compared to Matrix, I really things some structured format like JSON is simpler and more robust, not really sold on REST HTTP API, but the WebRTC integration and session group encryption is too complicated and sentenced to have 1 or 2 serious implementations max packed with big SDK and very few clients in contrast to IRC where one can hack up client on 100 loc (encryption only TLS between client/server).

>tools like grep and the regex libraries that haven't been around for 30 years
But... tools like grep and regex libraries have been in those BSDs for 30 years and they are still as slow. I don't think I get what you mean there.

>tools like grep and regex libraries have been in those BSDs for 30 years
nope

They used various gnu tools from the early 90s to today

wiki.freebsd.org/GPLinBase

Ok, wasn't aware what's in FreeBSD. OpenBSD ships their own.

>For historical reasons, the OpenBSD base system still includes the following GPL-licensed components: the GNU compiler collection (GCC) with supporting binutils and libraries, GNU CVS, GNU texinfo, the mkhybrid file system creation tool, and the readline library. Replacement by equivalent, more freely licensed tools is a long-term desideratum.

They've just have been working on it harder

>Writing public domain Go code in a Plan 9 installation using ed
The only harmful thing here is his mentality, it's obvious why he was so frustrated with existence.

why does 9front hate Go now?

You spoke the truth.