HOLY FUCK THIS IS BAD !!!!

HOLY FUCK THIS IS BAD !!!!
Can someone give me a fucking loonix distro name where i can webdev

Every distro is horrible as fuck
I will run it in a virtualbox within windows .
Thanks

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.slackware.com/slackware:beginners_guide#slackpkg
docs.slackware.com/slackware:slackpkg
node-os.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

> webdev
> i need linux

literally why, just download vscode or brackets or some shit on windows and work there

GNU/loonix

Fedora with XFCE, you fucking brainlet.

Ubuntu Server. Should be the first google search result. In fact there's even a version optimized for virtualization.

buy a mac, you sound like you'd need one

ElementaryOS.

>XFCE
>Yeah I love making things look more crappy

Don't, just choose gnome if you're choosing Fedora for vbox

Nvm,
/thread

Webdev is trash on Windows, since the tools don't run well natively. WSL works, but the way the file locks work on Windows fucks it all up. I don't know when you last did any webdev (if at all kek), but there are multiple transpile steps in modern JS and you need them if you want to use modern techniques.

Agreed, I had a similar setup for a time. Set up shared folders or samba and off you go. It's a decent experience, but I'd much rather be running a UNIX based OS and not have to screw around with vms.

unironically pic related. more comfy than the Sup Forumsentoo meme.

>I will run it in a virtualbox
lol stay cucked winnigger

>virtual box

virtualbox is extremely slow, don't use it

>webdev
>i literally cant figure this out myself

seriously now i can see why Sup Forums shits on webdevs. holyfuck just imagine the amount of
decrease in software quality in 20+ years time. all of this abstraction is doing us all so
terrible.

Use Ubuntu, it will save you a lot of time.

"xubuntu" specifically.

Slackware is comfy but I don't see any advantages over Debian desu

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as loonix, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Dont run it in virtualbox user. It might be the reason you think every distro is horrible

It's honestly not that different depending on the tools you work with. Just install git bash for windows, integrate it with the VS code terminal, install XAMPP, nodejs or whatever you use with nice GUI installers and that's it.

In fact I do these "transpile steps" thing you mention and everything else on windows, the only problem I faced was some git SSH issue but that's probably my fault.

>git bash for windows
>XAMPP
> nice GUI installers
> "transpile steps"

aka pajeetware and shitty hacks. if you're serious there's no good reason not to use linux.

What the fuck are you trying to do that in web dev that requires a special operating system? What part of your use case do the the distros you've already tried not fulfill?

it just werks out of the box, and it's *waaay* easier to maintain slackbuilds of random shit off github that your system can then manage as actual packages, than trying to replicate the same situation in any deb/rpm distro. That's pretty nice if you're a developer, since you'll almost certainly be using some obscure ass shit that isn't packages anywhere every once in a while. Arch comes close, but they're still not quite as simple and unix-y. Maybe void is better, but haven't played around with it's package manager enough yet. And if you like the whole dependency resolution thing, or binary packages, slpkg is definitely nicer than most official package managers out there.

Basically, slack just gets out of your way and let's you do whatever the hell you want to do, while other distros like debian have pretty strong preferences about how your should do things *cough*systemd*cough*.

webdev here, I will refuse to work in a Windows environment. The entire platform caters to consumers or office drones and leaves developers out in the dark.

Thanks for the explanation. I've set up a nice Slackware VM this week but I wasn't sure how to upgrade properly.
I use slpkg which is quite nice but when I use slpkg -c slack --upgrade I get a shit tons of new packages like Emacs that I don't want. Is it a normal behaviour?
It's true that I like the sane behaviour of Slackware and Slackbuild.org which is a gem but after shutting off my Slackware VM I don't see why I should switch from Debian which is pretty bare bones with sane defaults too (except for systems).

if you never use anything that isn't packaged up in debian, and you don't mind systemd, there isn't too much of a difference, since they're both still minimal linuxes after all.

as for the upgrades, did you perform a system update using slackpkg first to get on the latest stable version? because it sounds like slpkg is trying to sync with the entire slack repo, which means installing all the sets and packages that usually come in a full install. It's probably easier to upgrade those using the built-in slackpkg commands:
docs.slackware.com/slackware:beginners_guide#slackpkg

docs.slackware.com/slackware:slackpkg

look into the blacklist in particular if you're sure you don't want certain things automatically installed ever. Though even the slackpkg install-new command gives you a menu where you can deselect or ignore everything you don't want before performing a slackpkg upgrade-all. Not sure if slpkg uses slackpkg to sync with the official slack repos under the hood, but if it does, it might solve your problem with slpkg as well.

Alright, thanks user. Very well explained

macos

funny thing is slackware never just werkzed for me out of box

Any WindowsBotnet variants are all fucking terrible as coding/programming environments

Debian minimal
W/o DE
Install WM of choice.
Cradle everything you want from there.

node-os.com/

Slackware is comfy but it has a lot of problems with programming libraries due to its nature of user-built packages on SlackBuilds. For example, Tkinter is a piece of shit to set up on Slackware and such. I personally use it, but if i did any serious development, i would prefer the ease of life Fedora or Ubuntu give.

It's not like it's not pajeetware if built on loonix.

...Or use Zenwalk.
Also Salix for the expanded versatility... it even comes with a simple package manager and is backwards compatible with everything Slackware offers. Full install on Salix is like 700 packages, so its pretty barebones when you get into it and you can build ontop of it more things. I personally make my own slackbuilds for newer software or when i want to build from source, but i can't deny that Salix was a life saver many times

Well, which ones have you tried, dipshit? And what do you mean by "horrible as fuck"?

LInux is an amateuristic piece of shit, and the fact that is free doesn't make it superior to other commercial OSes at all.

Windows is also a piece of bloated shit, but at least you don't have to manually edit config files in an editor made back in the 1930s or some shit just to get your 21st century server running.

Tired and old bait. Try something fresh. I don't like eating stale memes.

Arch works for me. A coworker runs Fedora, another uses Ubuntu. No problems with any of those.
Don't use Arch if you want an appliance OS tho.

webdev doesn't even require a gui, you could easily get by with a minimal debian.
Add your chosen server stack and emacs and you're off to the races.

I've run a debian desktop with xfce since 2005 and have never wanted for anything.

just use vscode in any easy to use loonix distro like linux mint or kubuntu.

this or ubuntu mate

how is gnome better? it's shit for serious work

Ubuntu or Fedora are the best for this.

Debian or CentOS is you want to replicate a web server environment which you will find on live servers today.

>suggesting any eyecandy DE for vbox
Only MATE or XFCE.

Is WAMP not a thing anymore?

Just use Ubuntu?
If you decide to use Windows give the NetBeans Suite a try. You can use it with any activation server, or grab the activation server and run it yourself on your own VPS.