Why would anyone buy a new computer now until Zen 2 is out?

Why would anyone buy a new computer now until Zen 2 is out?
And furthermore why would anyone even consider buying Intel at this point?

Other urls found in this thread:

computerbase.de/2018-01/meltdown-spectre-amd-intel-benchmarks/
google.co.uk/amp/s/www.computerbase.de/2018-01/intel-cpu-pti-sicherheitsluecke/?amp=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Intel still offers better performance, especially single core. The patches only affect performance in SERVER applications.

>why would anyone even consider buying Intel at this point?
brand loyalty

So to play CS GO?

because I'm poorfag and this shits it's going to be overpriced as fuck

cuse Im not a feget who needs to hide his nude photos of being a trap

Delusion control at most

110% agree with proviso to wait for 7nm Ryzen if you can (or upgrade later)

>Intel still offers better performance
Only due to clockspeed.
Ryzen has better IPC than Kabylake.
Zen+ lowers the gap (but Intel will lead)
Zen2 reverses the gap.

Intel has no clockspeed 'buffer' left, 10nm is worse than firstgen Intel 14nm and Intel have already said it's for mobile only, since it won't clock over 3.4ghz... (uses almost no power though, mobile stuff with it will be amazing) and it's at least 2020 before 10nm server and desktop chips.

Intel got busted by Linus for trying to slip in a way to disable the security fixes even in future processors, basically having a secure mode and a benchmark mode. Fortunately with AMD you can have both at once. Intlel are more interested bin damage control than looking after their customers.

>Ryzen has better IPC than Kabylake.
debatable
In most normie's cases it will be slower. it's not all about frequency, ryzen's cache and memory controller suck. In shitty blizzard mmos compiled with intel compiler it will lose even more.
>Zen+ lowers the gap (but Intel will lead)
>Zen2 reverses the gap
If they fix cache, memory and infinity fabric's bottlenecks then yes. I think they have already improved cache in raven ridge even though it's not even zen+.
>10nm is worse than firstgen Intel 14nm
Where did you pull this from. It's said that it's worse than 3rd gen, not 1st gen. Though I don't really see any difference in performance between the two but if it's there it might as well be as good as skylake.

Even Linus couldn't save us from intel's fuckup. It's not like every change to kernel is disabled by a flag and implementing kpti (even though it can be disabled) required cutting like 2 years worth of optimizations. And corporations like microsoft don't even care so they fucked up amd much more, actually much more than intel. And I am sure they don't feel like fixing the shit and it will be kept forever to support intel's legacy cpus.

Intel investor day a few months, google it - it's like wccftech quality though.
powerwise intel 10nm is going to rock, but first gen will have terrible frequency scaling.

MSFT's solution is heavy handed, but they don't really know dick about anything but Jaguar, since they stopped doing anything for AMD until EPYC.
The only reason they're being heavy about it, is becuase they spent billions on shiny new EPYC processors for Azure.

Once they work out a better patch for Azure, it;ll filter down to Enterprise and Consumer windows.

Wintel is a trash platform. 2018 is LAMD

>The patches only affect performance in SERVER applications.
Eh. The patches caused a lot of performance dips in my computer, and now my cpu spikes up to 100% when I run a full scan with windows defender until it's done.

I enjoy the mac experience. I bend over, and spread'em wide for the big boys.

I think meltdown was a deliberate back door. It provides observational access to the memory of any CPU and the company that makes the CPUs has deniability if the backdoor is found.

i bought an r5 before this meltdown stuff and i couldnt be happier

>only 150fps instead of 154fps in certain edge cases
>stuttering mess on intel

Benchmark fags kys.

>>Ryzen has better IPC than Kabylake.
>debatable
it's really not debatable, Zen has better IPC but lower clocks. The L2 and L1 cache is pretty much as fast, at least fast enough to feed the core. The L3 is just a huge cache that doesn't get hit nearly as badly because of the much better predictor in Zen anyways.

Once they get the clocks up, expect Intel to fall behind.

Zen's IPC is theoretically higher for non-SIMD(Agner) , but after taking into account Intel optimizations and ICC, it falls behind by some 10% in what we see.

computerbase.de/2018-01/meltdown-spectre-amd-intel-benchmarks/
google.co.uk/amp/s/www.computerbase.de/2018-01/intel-cpu-pti-sicherheitsluecke/?amp=1

ShIntel Shills BTFO

10 years of optimizations and market monopolization only gained them 10% over a brand new architecture with practically no refinement.

Smart money and server interests will be on AMD for the next 4 years, at the very least, especially with the Meltdown debacle eating into datacenter performance heavily.

It's pathetic but Intel's still in the lead, these are just facts.
I expect Intel to keep this lead until Zen 2

How do the software updates actually fix the hardware problem? I have a feeling people are slowing down their computers for no reason. All the updates are doing is making it harder to run the exploit, but still not impossible.

Well software updates mitigate some known ways to exploit the vulnerability. It's indeed not impossible but at least it's not widely known how to exploit patched systems.

intel would also fix it, while amd has always been poorfag, low performant, offbrand shit.

You're not trying hard enough user.

But if someone wants to target you they still can target you. It's just takes longer to perform the exploit. This doesn't protect anyone's information that any company has on file because someone going after a big fish is likely dedicated and will take all day if needed.

Meanwhile a random person browsing the net is less likely to be attacked, so long as they use common sense.